U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 9,788 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the Huntersville/Charlotte area and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on good, respectable auto detailers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 07:23 PM

529 posts, read 1,801,314 times
Mobile detailers; I have not heard to much about them, but for general car washing auto bell does a very good job. They are located all around Charlotte.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 9,788 times
Thanks for the info OCtoCLT!

Old 11-28-2008, 06:35 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,409,050 times
One thing you need to watch out for is that it seems like half of Charlotte is in the detailing or lawn care business. Heck, I even did the detailing thing for a while.

If you're looking for a good, quick clean, Auto Bell is a good bet. If you want a mobile detailer, just drive around. You'll find someone with a trailer with a water tank and pressure washer on it in no time flat. They're everywhere on the north side of town.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 AM

216 posts, read 637,849 times
Little late but Salvatore @ Diamond Auto Detailing | MySpace.com

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 PM

368 posts, read 811,519 times
Wow, I had to register just to post in this thread.

If you care at all about your vehicle, I would strongly suggest avoiding the overwhelming majority of professional detailers, and instead seeking out an enthusiast detailer who does not make a living detailing cars. I have found very few people that actually understand how to properly wash a vehicle, much less do any actual paint correction/protection. Most professional detailers actually do more harm than good. The main objective of any professional detailer is to maximize the number of jobs they can complete while minimizing costs. This is accomplished by employing less than optimal methods and using cheap, low-quality products. High quality professional detailers do exist, but they are few and far between.

Dont even get me started on AutoBell; I worked at one of their locations in high school, and taking your car to Autobell is literally one of the worst things you could do you car's finish, short of washing it with rocks and sandpaper.

I am an enthusiast detailer. I make a living with a standard corporate 9-5 job (actually its 8-6). I do not detail cars for a living. I detail my personal cars, and the cars of friends and family members because I have a love for all things automotive, and I want to keep my cars in museum-quality condition. Im incredibly anal-retentive about my cars and obsessive compulsive about keeping them perfect. I began detailing in 2001, and have spent countless hours perfecting my method, experimenting with different techniques and thousands of dollars worth of high-end botique products. I am a member of a few online enthusiast detailing message boards, and have spent years posting, reading posts by other members, exchanging ideas, watching videos by other detailers, soaking in information from some of the best detailers on the planet.

A proper detail should take no less than ~10 hours or so, and can often times span multiple days, depending on the size and condition of the car, and what level of paint correction is desired.

The reason for this long-winded post is that I am now on a 4-day work schedule, and my 3 days/week off are becoming boring. I am considering the possibility of detailing as a side job to supplement my income. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. I should point out that I am not a mobile detailer and cannot come to your house or place of business, for various reasons, one of which being that detailing in my garage is a far more optimal environment for detailing than in direct sunlight or in the open air, where airborne debris can contaminate the paint surface. My prices are also not what most people are probably used to; as I mentioned before, a proper detail cannot physically take a single person less than 10 hours or so. But, as with most things in life, you do get what you pay for.

(I should mention that I visted the myspace link sal329 posted above, and judging from his brief description of his services, he seems to have at least a decent understanding of proper detailing, which is far more than I can say for most anyone else who details professionally.)

If a detailer cannot provide you with a 50/50 polishing picture under direct light (like the one below), I wouldnt even consider using them. I have yet to meet anyone in Charlotte who could.

Last edited by BBSLM; 08-23-2009 at 08:41 PM..

Old 08-24-2009, 11:37 AM

277 posts, read 579,927 times
Another poster referenced the following services as part of the basic detail package...

Hand wash, clay bar, 1 step polish (this will removal swirls and some scratches as well as bring out the gloss in your paint), wax or paint sealant, tires and wheels cleaned and protected, interior dash and door panels cleaned and protected, carpet vacuumed, leather cleaned and conditioned and all glass cleaned, 5 hour minimum.

What would such "professional detailing" cost?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:27 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,924,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
...I have found very few people that actually understand how to properly wash a vehicle, much less do any actual paint correction/protection. ....
Great post. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone talk about the importance of how to simply wash a car properly, let alone doing detail work.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 PM

368 posts, read 811,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Great post. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone talk about the importance of how to simply wash a car properly, let alone doing detail work.
Thanks. Washing a car may seem pretty fool-proof to most people, but simple washings are how the overwhelming majority of paint defects are caused. Everyone on the detailing messageboards on which I post do it right, but Ive yet to see a single person in real life wash a car in a way that didnt make me cringe.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,820 times
Some of this detailers alway knock on mobile detailers,are dum sometimes.The proper term is mobile carwash,because some detailing procedures can't be done mobile.Some mobile units are good,some are not.ALL DETAILERS ARE NOT GOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or