U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 PM

48 posts, read 171,118 times

Advertisements

Harris Teeter is OK if you are able to plan and buy stuff on sale.

I have done some research on Aldi. It is actually not bad at all. The stuff they carry is made by well-known companies, under a different name. You save a lot because there is no merchandising there, you bag stuff yourself, etc.

Wal-Mart Supercentre is good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 08:58 PM

743 posts, read 2,024,366 times
I agree with Aldi in Matthews. I shop there quite often and I can get all my week's worth of groceries for about $100 or less. Previously I strictly went to Harris Teeter and never came out with less than $150. The best thing is they have special purchases of brand names at times and you can get those practically half price as compared to Teeter's regular price

Old 05-02-2008, 10:09 PM

7,529 posts, read 6,135,513 times
HT has good specials, but you'll take a bath doing all of your shopping there. The best bet, sign up at there web site and become an E-Vic customer, they'll send there specials to your e-mail every week, and you'll get additional savings on items not in the circular. I work for HT and that's what I do.

For the rest of our list, we go to Aldi, super Walmart and Sams. I still haven't tried Trader Joes. Hope this helps!!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:38 AM

672 posts, read 1,646,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
HT has good specials, but you'll take a bath doing all of your shopping there. The best bet, sign up at there web site and become an E-Vic customer, they'll send there specials to your e-mail every week, and you'll get additional savings on items not in the circular. I work for HT and that's what I do.

For the rest of our list, we go to Aldi, super Walmart and Sams. I still haven't tried Trader Joes. Hope this helps!!
This is how I save money on groceries:
I only buy things that are on sale for good prices at Harris Teeter and usually apply coupons to what is on sale so that it is really cheap. Harris Teeter doubles coupons under $.99. When they have dog food buy one get one free, I buy for the month and save $15 a month doing so.

CVS: has weekly sale items too and has cash back coupons, ie, buy $30 in huggies (diaper) products, get $10 extra bucks for your next purchase. That is where I buy diapers, etc as with coupons and extra bucks I get diapers and baby things for much cheaper then average price.

Costco: Some things are overpriced there, so we stick to meals, milk, some frozen things, snacks, etc. I DO NOT buy paper towels, laundry det, or any baby supplies there, accept formula is cheaper there if you buy Costco's brand which I rate as an A++.

Walmart: It depends??? While the overall price of some things is slightly lower there, we find that if we go there we actually spend more $ b/c we tend to put more things in the cart that we don't actually need. Besides, the prices for the most part are compariable to Target, however, Walmart carries more things. I usually just try to stick to buying cat liter and rice milk at walmart and a few odds and ends.

Target: For everything else.

Overall shopping at all these different places saves me anywhere from $200-$250 a month in groceries. YOu just have to clip coupons and check for sales. Luckily, Harris Teeter, CVS, and Target are all right near each other so I'm not driving all over the place for the sales.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:40 AM

672 posts, read 1,646,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
Your not going to find a cheap grocery store in Ballantyne..that wouldn't make since. You'll have to drive out a bit to go to an Aldi (Steelecreek) or Walmart SuperCenter (Steelecreek).
On that note, I would skip right over the Walmart Supercenter in STeele Creek and head straight for the one in TEga Cay. It is nice there and you will avoid all the rif raf that the Steele Creek one has.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:41 AM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Aldi's website: ALDI - Home page

You can find the nearest store. Chek the weekly special buys. The regular items are never on the website. Aldi is running TV ads here & showing regular items & prices in those ads.

This week & last a dozen large eggs were $1.55. Shadybrook Farms ground turkey is still $2.49. They carry a very limited selection of Breyers ice cream for $2.99 for a half gallon.

Trader Joe's website is: Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store Click on Fearless Flyer to see featured items & prices. There are 2 Trader Joe's in the Charlotte area.

I've shopped at both for years. If you have a question, just ask. (No, I don't work for either, I just know a good deal when I see it.)

Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 PM

715 posts, read 1,948,368 times
Trader Joes is a nice place, but it is so far from where I live that it's not worth the gas and running around to other places to complete the grocery list. I also don't need to buy in bulk at a place like Costco, because when I'm in the area I'm generally just shopping for my parents. And I also agree that Harris Teeter is a bit more than just about anywhere else.

I've recently transitioned from Wal-Mart to Food Lion and my grocery bill has gone down so I would recommend them. If you just straight up compare retail prices on a list of 10 items, Wal-Mart is very hard to beat. But Food Lion is great about actually having very good weekly specials. So if you're not tied to a specific brand of paper towels, canned vegetables, french fries, cereal, etc. there's often a brand that beats the socks off of Wal-Mart. I also like the atmosphere and less crowded aisles there a lot better. Overall, I can shop at Food Lion for less than anywhere else. Some of their stores are very nice, with great produce, delis, and bakeries, and some do look a little run down though without anything extra such as delis and bakeries. But it's worth trying out imo because of the prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte