U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:50 PM

672 posts, read 1,648,116 times

Advertisements

The Observer asked two deputy police chiefs who want to become Charlotte-Mecklenburg's next chief to answer questions about crime and their leadership styles. Jerry Sennett declined to answer questions, saying it would be inappropriate unless he's named a finalist for the chief job. Ken Miller also declined, saying he wouldn't comment unless he becomes chief.
The search to replace chief Darrel Stephens began in January, with City Manager Curt Walton whittling a list of 46 applicants to eight for interviews. Walton said officials would visit the cities of four candidates -- and would reveal the names of finalists in a closed session of City Council on Monday. Walton said he'll make the names public on Tuesday.

I simply do not understand how talking about their stance on crime and what they would do to change it is inappropriate unless they become the chief. Obviously we want a police chief that will do things differently and take crime seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 05:57 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
The Observer asked two deputy police chiefs who want to become Charlotte-Mecklenburg's next chief to answer questions about crime and their leadership styles. Jerry Sennett declined to answer questions, saying it would be inappropriate unless he's named a finalist for the chief job. Ken Miller also declined, saying he wouldn't comment unless he becomes chief.
The search to replace chief Darrel Stephens began in January, with City Manager Curt Walton whittling a list of 46 applicants to eight for interviews. Walton said officials would visit the cities of four candidates -- and would reveal the names of finalists in a closed session of City Council on Monday. Walton said he'll make the names public on Tuesday.

I simply do not understand how talking about their stance on crime and what they would do to change it is inappropriate unless they become the chief. Obviously we want a police chief that will do things differently and take crime seriously.
Well, it could be there are afraid of saying something that would seem critical of their fellow officers or city management, in case they don't become the Chief. That is what I am thinking. I doubt anyone from inside the force will get that job anyway. I bet they select someone from outside this county.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, it could be there are afraid of saying something that would seem critical of their fellow officers or city management, in case they don't become the Chief. That is what I am thinking. I doubt anyone from inside the force will get that job anyway. I bet they select someone from outside this county.
Yeah, I really didn't look at it that way but that makes sense. Surely if they accidently insult the way someone has handled crime, then the definitely won't get the job. I am actually hoping someone from outside the county gets the position.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:00 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,736,775 times
Just recieved word that three finalists have been selected:

Click Here for story and bios at the bottom of the page.

City Manager Selects Finalists for Chief of Police
May 6, 2008

City Manager Curt Walton announced today that three finalists from a candidate pool of 47 applicants have been selected for consideration as the next Chief of Police for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department (CMPD).

The Chief of Police serves as the leader and director of CMPD, which has been recognized as a national leader and innovator in policing. The Police Chief leads a department of more than 2,100 employees, with 1,638 sworn officers and 468 civilian positions, and manages a $174 million budget. CMPD has focused efforts on making Charlotte-Mecklenburg a safer place by establishing problem-solving partnerships and expanding police services.

Finalists were recruited and selected through a comprehensive process managed by The Waters Consulting Group that included national advertising and Web site recruitment page in addition to public input into the development of a Police Chief profile; focus groups with CMPD Command Staff, community and business leaders; elected officials surveys; assessments; panel interviews and site visits. With experience ranging from 22 years to 28 years in policing, law enforcement, administration, operations and technology, the finalists for CMPD Chief of Police are:

Deputy Chief Jerry Sennett, CMPD
As Deputy Chief of CMPD, a consolidated city-county department, he is responsible for several different divisions, including Support Services and Field Services. Sennett supervises service area majors, who oversee such specialized units as the Transit Policing Unit, Special Events, Secondary Employment and the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport Law Enforcement. He implemented COMPSTAT, a system for managing police operations by pinpointing locations, methods and perpetrators of crime, allowing CMPD to improve service throughout its 13 patrol districts. Sennett was promoted to Deputy Chief in 2004. He joined CMPD in 1979.

Deputy Police Chief Alan Dreher, Atlanta Police Department
Dreher is responsible for the daily operations of the largest municipal law enforcement agency in the State of Georgia. Since 2002, he has managed the Criminal Investigations Division, Field Operations, Support Services, the Division of Taxicabs and Vehicles for Hire and the Field Inspections Section. Prior to working in Atlanta, he served 23 years with the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Police Department where he rose to the rank of Deputy Chief, during which he was responsible for police service at Capitol Hill, The White House, and the Downtown District.

Police Chief Rodney Monroe, Richmond Police Department
Since 2004 Monroe has served as Police Chief of the City of Richmond where he created a dedicated homicide unit and started the Cooperative Violence Reduction Partnership (CVRP) with prosecutorial and correctional agencies. During his tenure as Police Chief, homicides were reduced by 33 percent. He began his policing career in 1979 as a police officer with the Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Police Department, rising to Assistant Chief of Police, the department's second highest sworn rank. He also served as Chief of Police in Macon, GA for five years.

The public is invited to attend a public forum to meet and address all three candidates on Tuesday, May 13 at the Blake Hotel on McDowell Street starting with a candidate reception at 6 p.m. immediately followed by individual candidate forums. The new Chief of Police will be named before June 1, 2008.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:11 AM

Default Interesting ariticle

About The Atlanta Police Chief Alan Dreher:
Latest News - Questions Surround Fatal Shooting Of Woman, 92

Old 05-06-2008, 10:23 AM

Deputy Chief Sennett:

Patrol Issues

Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 AM

Chief Rodney Monroe

http://www.intelligententerprise.com...leID=198100280

Old 05-06-2008, 01:42 PM

I can't pick up on whether or not the three links you posted are supportive or negative towards the finalists. None of the articles are really informative about the candidates themselves.

After just glancing at the credentials and experience for each, I think they've narrowed it down pretty well.

Given the latest stir of the pot about crime and last Monday's march on the council meeting, I'd be willing to bet Monroe is standing out in front of the other two right now...assuming that article is true about the department. Seems like he's embraced new technology.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I can't pick up on whether or not the three links you posted are supportive or negative towards the finalists. None of the articles are really informative about the candidates themselves.

After just glancing at the credentials and experience for each, I think they've narrowed it down pretty well.

Given the latest stir of the pot about crime and last Monday's march on the council meeting, I'd be willing to bet Monroe is standing out in front of the other two right now...assuming that article is true about the department. Seems like he's embraced new technology.
I was impressed with the article referring to Monroe and that is why I posted it. I was not impressed with the Atlanta chiefs mishap in the drug house and that is why I posted that one, I was also impressed with the cmpd officer being aware that yes, crime is a problem, and trying to offer new ways to go about it, that is why I posted that one. I read through a lot of articles and thought these three would give people a better idea of how they operate.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:49 PM

I think the Atlanta topic is unfair to pin on teh Deputy Chief. He wasn't directly involved...even though he is in charge of the folks under him, he can't be held responsible for actions that happen in a split second.

And with regard to the danger of steering this thread off topic, I think the Atlanta shooting was just bad for everyone all around and no one is really at any fault. The cops say they witnessed deals go down at the house, got a warrant to go in, went in, got shot at by someone inside, and did what they were trained to do--kill whoever is doing that shooting. On the other hand, you've got a little old lady, presumably innocent, living in the home, sees a bunch of guys bust into her house in a known bad part fo town, assumes the worst, and opens fire on the perceived intruders. The cops couldn't really ring the door bell and give who ever is inside time to think about what's going on on that type of warrant entry. On the other hand, the little old lady can't take time to ask the intruders who they are; had they been "real" intruders, they'd most likely respond with gun fire--so she shot first.

But back on track...
I feel a little bump of mementum in the City to start taking care of some identified crime issues. These three candidates seem to be in tune with that new momentum, especially the fella from Richmond. I think the guy from Atlanta will be doomed simply because of the anti-Atlanta sentiment in the air around Charlotte (you know, the one where people get apalled when you compare Charlotte to Atlanta, as do I). If our elected officials are anything close to resembling the populus of Charlotte, this will undoubtedly trickle into that decision. Then there's Sennett. In my experience, the deputies get the shaft more often than not. I've seen it done twice. I've actually seen a deputy enstated as Chief, then yanked back to deputy and someone else brought in from outside to be Chief. I've also seen a qualified deputy overlooked three times for the Chief position.

My money is on Mr. Monroe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte