Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 10:25 PM

18 posts, read 12,980 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Currently I am a Miami Resident that due to covid was furloughed (I work in the cruise line industry). While I admit, I did love working for the particular cruise line due to the community feel, perks (21 days of vacation), and salary; I had already been considering transitioning to North Carolina to eventually buy a house before I am forty, and leave the hustle and bustle of Miami (Doral area). So rather than waiting two years to transition to North Carolina I started to apply there and got a job. Now this new job is in Mooresville, and I am considering which are the areas that are best for long-term residence.

I am aiming to move around March, since I rather have the 90 day probation period as a remote employee in Miami in case the Economy worsens further than it currently is. But, In April I'd like to move to North Carolina. My current budget is approximately 1,600 for a two bedroom apartment (my mother may accompany me since her health is not 100%) or 1,900 a three bedroom apartment. But, if I can find them for less and safe, then better for me since I can save even more for the house.

I've been wondering which are the best areas to move to. I'm currently looking into Mooresville itself since that's where the company resides however what are your thoughts on Mooresville vs Charlotte, or another town/city around that vicinity. I don't necessarily mind commuting for work. I work in Doral since that's where our headquarters are, and usually commute 30 minutes everyday if I use the regular roads to get there from where I live (if I use highways about 10, but I usually prefer to use backroads here due to risky our freeways are). I'm okay with 30-40 minutes commute to work every day.

I've looked a little into Mooresville, but I wonder which are the best zip codes within it. I have also looked into Concord as well and Charlotte. What would you suggest?

Why I decided to apply in North Carolina? My dad lives in Hickory and has stated he likes it. I can't say I live to work, but I don't party. The most I do is go to a lounge, or a music club once every three months, and a couple of restaurants a month after work. I like music and concerts, but I got used to Miami never getting any of the indie, alternative, jazz, or world music (flamenco, tango, bossa nova, irish, etc) so I got used to going to maybe one concert every other three years at best. In fact, I'm still shocked Arcade Fire came down here a few years ago. So I am pretty sure that I probably fit in, considering I'm usually a home body or book store lurker. And to be frank the cost of living in Miami is just too high. I do like the multiculturalism in my job mind you, the cruise lines had employees from all over and it was fun to understand their cultures and also their viewpoints. However, honestly if I'm going to sacrifice the cost of living for that, it's not worth it. Lastly, Miami is getting incredibly expensive and is slowly trying to compete with California and New York in house and apartment values. If you want to live in a decent area, a house is no less than 500k, and if you get modern houses the landlots are well none-existent. Miami may be a great place to tourist around, but it's just getting way too big and the salary to cost of living is hitting a dangerous ratio (and I say this as someone that earns close to 100k a year in Miami). Our beaches cannot be compared to Bahamas or Grand Turks to be frank, unless you want to wear knee pads and shoes to deal with the rocks and corals; and go at 8 am to beat the tourists to the spots in the beach; and quite frankly it's always raining here, so whenever you do get vacation and decide you want to go to the beach, that day it's raining from 8am with lightning. I'll be honest, I've gone to the beach maybe, maybe three times in ten years. I sometimes wonder if I'm taking up the place of someone that really would use our local resources. I think what I will miss the most is all the food here, Vizcaya, and the commodity of having pretty much every store that exists here. But I'm sure I can find a decent mall in Charlotte.

Last edited by carnivaltolife1234; 12-23-2020 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 01:17 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
It seems as though you've thought this move through and your dad is in the area (another big plus). Having a job lined up helps as well. My biggest question is how will you deal with the culture shock? You've stated that you're a "homebody" so maybe you'll be ok. I just know that for me personally, Mooresville isn't a great fit. I like nearby Davidson and Cornelius much better. I would most prefer to be within a 5 mile radius of downtown Charlotte, but that's only because I like the feeling of being "in a city" (though nothing in the south-east is as "city" as south Florida; I'm sure you know this already).

The Charlotte area is cheaper than South Florida without a doubt. I live in a suburb of Charlotte called Pineville. My fiance and I paid around $310k for a 2,500sq/ft townhouse earlier this year (new construction). Mooresville prices are probably comparable to what we paid in Pineville. If you're trying to save some money, nearby Statesville will definitely have a cheaper price point than these aforementioned Charlotte suburbs. Just know that the culture shock of Statesville might be greater than the shock you might feel in Mooresville.

Before making a final decision, it's important to visit Charlotte, Davidson/Cornelius/Huntersville, Mooresville, and Statesville/Troutman. 7 different towns might seem like a lot of driving, but it's only 40 miles from Charlotte to Statesville (and the other 5 towns are all in between Charlotte and Statesville along I-77). Good luck and I hope this helps!

Old 12-27-2020, 08:05 PM

18 posts, read 12,980 times
Thanks urbancharlotte, I have thought about it and am currently researching it. Originally, I had looked into Mooresville because it's just a few minutes to the office. That being said, I also researched so thoroughly that I hit on articles concerning the cancer cluster there. Which is rather alarming to me (my family surprisingly doesn't have cancer, but I've lost a friend to cancer). Thus even though I'm in my thirties and my probabilities are low (and I'd surely find ways of eating even healthier there to offset any issues which can trigger thyroid cancer); it's a bit slightly scary. That being said, either way I wasn't necessarily planning to live in Mooresville for a long time period but rather 1-3 years while I replenished my savings and buy a property. It sure looks like the owned property wont be there due to various reasons. However, it's going to be quite interesting. Nonethless, I'll do some fieldtrips there during January, February during the weekends to make sure I've visited the surrounding areas and get a sense of the areas through my own eyes and not through my dad's which can be rather comical and outlandish at times. Going to have to get used to moving a bit more than in Miami (lived in the same property for ten years here, and worked in the same company for twelve).

Old 01-28-2021, 06:58 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,443 times
I also moved from Miami, back in 2008. We looked at Mooresville but didn't like the traffic. We ended up in Highland Creek, about 30 minutes South of Mooresville towards Charlotte. I am in the insurance industry so I am very aware of the cancer cluster near Mooresville. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:36 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,430 times
I am from Broward been here since 2007. I would say look around all over

Old 05-12-2021, 09:17 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

The Charlotte area is cheaper than South Florida without a doubt. I live in a suburb of Charlotte called Pineville. My fiance and I paid around $310k for a 2,500sq/ft townhouse earlier this year (new construction).
Would love to hear more about the Pineville area. Is it OK if I dm you to ask some questions?

Old 05-18-2021, 09:40 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Would love to hear more about the Pineville area. Is it OK if I dm you to ask some questions?
Pineville is a great area, IMO.

We lived there for 5+ years before moving back to MI. Convenient to the airport, convenient to the other attractions of Ballantyne/south Charlotte, convenient to the light rail. Cute and growing "downtown", wonderful rec center.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:59 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Pineville is a great area, IMO.

We lived there for 5+ years before moving back to MI. Convenient to the airport, convenient to the other attractions of Ballantyne/south Charlotte, convenient to the light rail. Cute and growing "downtown", wonderful rec center.

Thank you so much for the input!! My daughter is buying her first place (she lives in Uptown right now) and it is so competitive around that area so she is expanding her search and considering Pineville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte