Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 10,239 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband and I are planning on relocating to Charlotte next year, but my issue is I cannot transfer my job there and would have to start over with a new company. I was wanting to move to Georgia, because I would be able to transfer my employment. He visted GA for about a week, stayed with his sister in College Park and he HATED GA..for many reasons..which was kind of disappointing for me. He then visited Charlotte in March and LOVED IT! My experience has mostly been in the Customer Service field. Wanting to know what is the job market really like in Charlotte for people without College Degrees? My husband has a College Degree and experience in many things and wouldn't have any problem finding employment, but I'm just worried about my employment situation. Also we are a year out of bankruptsy and have been repairing our credit, so our credit at this moment isn't that great either. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:07 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,008 times
Maybe check out the City of Charlotte. They have a huge customer service arena ranging from the 311 call center to CATS employees to utilities employees. They may not pay at the upper end fo the spectrum, but the benfits far outweigh the slightly lower pay.

Home (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Human+Resources+City/Home.htm - broken link) Clik the "Current Vacancy Sheet" and check it weekly as they update it every Monday. As of today, there are three customer service positions open. And a little secret I'll let you in on, the City may offer reloaction assistance/reimbursement.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:50 AM

569 posts, read 1,408,953 times
There are lots of positions to be had without a college degree. You said your background was in "customer service". I would look at some call centers (it seems they are always hiring). I would check out Time Warner,Wachovia and Windstream to start. This would not be my ideal job but at least you could get your foot in the door. There is of course always retail. I would also look at some temp agencies. This is a great way to get on with a company if you do not mind working your way up.
Good Luck!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,790 times
Default be careful

Just because your husband has a degree, and experience in many things DOES NOT mean he will get a job justlikethat. The job market in charlotte is very tough, if you don't want a retail job. Banks are reeling, and there are many people who moved here without a job and there is a mad scarmmble for most jobs. My advise is that you or your husband find a job before moving here. Plus with your credit history it will be better to have something lined up. Alot of relocaters have at least six months in savings just in case. Also it is easier to get a job if you have a local address. Sorry to be a bummer, but it is just the way it is. It is a great place, just have all your ducks in a row, before you head here.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nholloway View Post
My husband has a College Degree and experience in many things and wouldn't have any problem finding employment
May I ask what separates your husband from every other person who has moved here saying that same thing and wound up having an incredibly difficult time finding something?

Old 05-07-2008, 12:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Not to discourage you from moving to CLT, but as others have said . . . if neither of you have a job . . . it would be better to move to GA w/ your company while looking for jobs in CLT than take off here w/ nothing. Or stay where you are until one of you finds a good job. Also, it is not as easy to rent here as it once was. Many companies require documentation about employment b/f they will rent to you, regardless of how much money you have to put on deposit. Not trying to say - don't come - but just thought you ought to know the facts. Our unemployment has gone up and many are here for 6 mos. to a year and can't find a job - it all depends on your field.

So do some more research and land a job b/f you come, so you won't regret the move.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:01 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,651,532 times
Ditto on everything that's already been stated. Also, since most employers require credit checks for new hires, your current financial situation will most likely put you at a deficit for a new job.

I did find one statement puzzling. Your husband only visited one area of an entire state, and based on that he hates the whole state?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:06 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,976 times
Quote:
Hello everyone! My husband and I are planning on relocating to Charlotte next year, but my issue is I cannot transfer my job there and would have to start over with a new company. I was wanting to move to Georgia, because I would be able to transfer my employment. He visted GA for about a week, stayed with his sister in College Park and he HATED GA..for many reasons..which was kind of disappointing for me. He then visited Charlotte in March and LOVED IT! My experience has mostly been in the Customer Service field. Wanting to know what is the job market really like in Charlotte for people without College Degrees? My husband has a College Degree and experience in many things and wouldn't have any problem finding employment, but I'm just worried about my employment situation. Also we are a year out of bankruptsy and have been repairing our credit, so our credit at this moment isn't that great either. Any advice would be appreciated!
So wait... you're only a year out of a bankruptcy, yet you're willing to move to a new area where neither has a job? Credit checks for both a job and a place are going to weigh heavily against you for a long while.

Wow.... I wish I had that kind of nerve...

Old 05-10-2008, 09:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,572 times
Quote:
I will just tell you MY story. We moved to Charlotte 2 years ago without jobs. We figured with our savings we'd have a year for my husband to find work. Well, 2 years later he's found a wonderful job....in NYC! Now we are looking at selling the house that we love, leaving the wonderful friends we've made, the church we belong to, the kids our 3 children have been playing with every day for two years-all to start over again in NJ.

The one thing we keep kicking ourselves for is coming here thinking finding work would be easy. The job market here is horrible. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I wish you luck in whatever you do but I suggest you think about this long and hard before you change your lives. Unless, of course, you don't mind the possibility of picking up and leaving again if things don't work out. Get the job-then make the move!!
My best wishes to you.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,309,850 times
Quote:
My husband has a College Degree and experience in many things and wouldn't have any problem finding employment,
I have known people with masters degrees who had trouble finding employment here.
'College degree' just does not hold the cache it did in the 50s I'm afraid.

That said I hold three degrees and have 20 years of experience across various fields, and in this market not sure I could find employment tomorrow if not for who I knew. Local networking is still very much alive and well here.

My advice would be to secure employment FIRST, then move.

Last edited by mullman; 05-10-2008 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte