Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I learned that the shelter offers either free or low-cost (can't remember which) spay-neuter clinics to try and reduce this problem. I'm sure they have details on their Web site - spread the word!
As long as the dog/cat has had all their shots...you can take them to the Humane Society at I-77 & Remount Rd. (2646 Toomey Ave) and have them fixed starting at $40.

Very reputable vets and they have to follow all the state guidlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I learned that the shelter offers either free or low-cost (can't remember which) spay-neuter clinics to try and reduce this problem. I'm sure they have details on their Web site - spread the word!
Here is a website that may help. I used them many years ago when we got our dog. At that time I made a small donation and was sent a certificate to have a participating vet spay my dog at a discounted rate. I was able to use my regular vet who is highly sought after and very expensive because she was a participating vet. I don't remember the cost but it was very reasonable.
Friends of Animals

Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Are the TV stations providing time to showcase animals from the shelters?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 AM

905 posts, read 3,453,375 times
My boy came from the CharMeck animal shelter. He has been a great dog. I made many visits to the shelter before I stumbled across him. It was love at 1st sight.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...4/IMG_0088.jpg

A word of caution for those adopting from the shelter or any dog. When I took him to the vet for his vaccinations he had kennel cough. We think since he was vaccinated while ill and his immune system was in overdrive the live vaccines sent his immune system into hyper overdrive which has resulted in several immune related health issues. He came down with rhumetoid arthritis at 9 months and has had skin problems in the past. All resulting in thousand's$$$$$ in vet bills, but he is worth every penny spent.

So the moral/lesson in this story is don't vaccinate your dog while ill!!! Treat the illness then vaccinate!

Before you buy from a breeder give your local shelter a call or contact animal rescues about adoption!!!

Last edited by CRock; 05-08-2008 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: photo

Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
CRock, your dog is adorable!

I had heard about kennel cough problems in the shelter. The staff member I spoke to yesterday told me about a new program that they've recently started to help eliminate this problem before it starts. Hopefully it will work so that less dogs get kennel cough while they're at the shelter.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Are the TV stations providing time to showcase animals from the shelters?
I know WBTV does in their noon broadcast and I am not sure what day I think on Wednesdays. They will broadcast an animal live in Founders Hall.

I also have seen Larry Sprinkles on WCNC have them I think there promo is called Tuesday Tailwaggers at 11:40 a.m Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Pets & Animals (http://www.wcnc.com/animals/ - broken link)
They seem to do a better job on the subject the other I feel like they are just feeding extra airtime minutes.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I know WBTV does in their noon broadcast and I am not sure what day I think on Wednesdays. They will broadcast an animal live in Founders Hall.

I also have seen Larry Sprinkles on WCNC have them I think there promo is called Tuesday Tailwaggers at 11:40 a.m Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Pets & Animals (http://www.wcnc.com/animals/ - broken link)
They seem to do a better job on the subject the other I feel like they are just feeding extra airtime minutes.
I worked in Broadcast TV for 20 years. When I started, you had to pass a battery of federal tests that included federal laws regarding broadcasting.

By law, stations must provide air-time for public service. Stations are also required to keep letters, complaints as well as praise on file.

Many of the stations around here provide regular airtime for shelters to showcase animals available for adoption.

What I'm getting at is this: Write letters to the stations stating that you'd like to see animals available for adoption from the area shelters aired on a regular basis. The letters must be kept on file & when their license is up for renewal, could make or break their renewal. Don't call or send an email. Write a letter. Get your friends to write letters, too.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:33 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,236 times
Although this thread was started in 2008, the statistics are startling and heartbreaking. I am sure the numbers are even higher now. I volunteer at a fantastic shelter nearby. All "healthy and behavior-tested" pets are 100% adopted into their forever homes. (That's the happy part.)

Spay and neuter is imperative to keep the population down at its root cause. People also must understand a pet is an 18-year commitment and is not to be taken lightly.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:48 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
You can thank the AKC for lobbying against regulations that would make it tougher for puppy mills to function. You'd think a group like the AKC would be for any policy that improves the health quality of our pet population and reduces these sorts of counts, but instead, they just want more revenues. Sad.

AKC Fails to Take a Stand Against Puppy Mills : The Humane Society of the United States

While crude, I would personally support short term increases in the amount we put down to try to get ahead of the problem vs. constantly reacting. It would save money/harm in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte