Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:39 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Yes, ani just touch this #13 .
I sometimes do it if I am traveling but not always.
I hate those truckers that do not give the thank you signal back.
Sorry, I realized that after I posted. Didn't mean to step on anybody's feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 01:52 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
My biggest pet peeve is not being able to pass on the right when a car is turning left. In many states they will even pave a little 'passing lane' on the right of the roadway so traffic does not get blocked....

Is that right? You are not allowed to go around a car that is making a left? I didn't see that in the handbook when I was "studying " for my drivers license. If so, I've been doing it since I moved here.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM

18 posts, read 52,687 times
I'm from Oregon and was taught to turn your hazards on while driving at a slower speed in any inclement weather causing visibility issues.

As for funeral processions: I've never stopped or seen anyone stop, but everyone slows down as to not pass; keeping the procession together.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
In 1992, during my father's funeral procession in a small Louisiana town, people on the sidewalk stopped and faced the street. Men with hats took them off and held them over their hearts. Cars on the other side of the roads (all local streets and state 2-lane hwys) pulled over and stopped. Such customs seem long gone now. When my mother's procession made the same trip in 2005, no one on the street stopped but cars still did.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:12 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,380 times
Turning on flashers is a means of getting attention. They really shouldn't be used unless there is fog or a severe visibility issue, or unless stopped in the roadway, or driving way under the speed limit -- like if you're having a mechanical issue with the car. I see people driving with them on in the rain, and they're still tooling along in the fast lane, so there's no point.

I have never seen anybody turn on their signal because the person in front of them is turning. Have never heard of that custom. I do, however, see many people that keep their turn signals on continuously because they just forget to turn them off. I know not to always trust a turn signal. Brake lights should tell you that traffic ahead is slowing, and if you're not following too closely, you shouldn't be risking a collision.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
My biggest pet peeve is not being able to pass on the right when a car is turning left. In many states they will even pave a little 'passing lane' on the right of the roadway so traffic does not get blocked....

Is that right? You are not allowed to go around a car that is making a left? I didn't see that in the handbook when I was "studying " for my drivers license. If so, I've been doing it since I moved here.
From the handbook 3/4 of the page down
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 4

Passing on the right:
Passing on the right is against the law except in areas where it is specifically permitted. Passing on the right places your vehicle on the blind side of the car you are passing. The car you are passing could unexpectedly make a right turn or pull over to the right side of the road. Exceptions where passing on the right is allowed:
  • on highways having at least two lanes traveling in each direction;
  • on one-way streets where all lanes of traffic move in the same direction;
  • when passing a vehicle that is in the left-turn lane; and/or
  • when driving in a lane set aside for right turns.
On three-lane highways, you must not pass except in the center lane, and then only where the center lane is marked for passing in your direction. Exception: When the car in the center lane is making a left turn.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:01 AM

16 posts, read 30,694 times
Sorry you feel that the NE people are ruining the charm, I am a newcomer here and I am polite, allow people to pull out in front of me when they cant' get out of a busy street. Stop for people crossing streets. Keep an eye on my neighborhood, ( I am our block security captain in a large neighborhooe) use my flashers in rain/fog. Jump start a strangers car in the rain.

I don't cut in a funeral line we respect that in the NE, not a law but respectful anywhere.

You can't lump all NE people into one catagory, I have found rude mannerd "native southerners" here.

My Dad's family is from the South and I'll tell you this I don't like to admit at times I am related to them because of their ignorant behavior.

It seems that there are just more people here and bad behavior is more noticable.

I still believe that the "souther charm" exists, I see it every day.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgrandst View Post
Sorry you feel that the NE people are ruining the charm, .
I think you are miss reading this thread.
I cannot find anywhere in the prior posts that anyone is bad talking any group driving habits. As stated above it about unique habits from other places in the u.s. like oregon and florida and anywhere else in the states.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:18 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think you are miss reading this thread.
I cannot find anywhere in the prior posts that anyone is bad talking any group driving habits. As stated above it about unique habits from other places in the u.s. like oregon and florida and anywhere else in the states.
Sunny, I think she was referring to post # 10. Thanks for the info on passing on the right. Nice to know I wasn't breaking the law.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:38 AM

16 posts, read 30,694 times
yes I was replying to the person that said it's all the NE people moving here. That is just absurd. Obviously he doesn't travel much intown Charlotte or on 74!

Thanks for pointing that out Doorway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte