Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
I first saw the "pull over for the funeral procession" thing about 5 years ago. A good friend of mine was killed in a head-on collision on South Tryon late at night on his way home to Clover, SC from work. The funeral was in Clover, and my jaw literally dropped at the people pulling to the side of the road out of respect. I was very touched by it.

I was absolutely mortified by this post. I hate that this type of inconsiderate, disrespectful, selfish behavior and "me first" attitude seems to be growing here.

But I am encouraged by people like Charlotteborn seeing the "error of their ways" and trying to instill good habits and behaviors in the next generation. Bravo!

I'm all for keeping the "southern charm." It's a good portion of the reasons I moved here. Maybe we need to send all newcomers to "Charm School?"
Hee Hee. Charm School. Well, I am hoping we can all learn to blend together nicely here in "The New South." I think that most of the newcomers actually want to find out what distinguishes this area as "different" - what that term "Southern Charm" really means . . .

Unfortunately, it seems both locals and newcomers often have habits (and reactions to habits) on the road - that are much less than charming. I think it goes both ways. I know I find myself getting really aggravated at times while driving here - not something I have experienced in other cities. I think newcomers get irritated when Southerners do not have the same driving habits they are used to - and vice versa.

For one thing, I think newcomers from some areas are used to hitting their horns. Here in the South, you only hit your horn in the most egregious of circumstances - such as someone getting ready to make an unsafe move. It is an "alert" that says - WATCH OUT!!! Newcomers seem to hit their horns just to express aggravation - such as when the car in front is being very cautious pulling out into an intersection - and the newcomer in the car behind decides to start honking. Talk about ticking a Southerner off. So to express his/her aggravation at being honked at, the Southerner will then just go slower . . . so that has a domino effect - and then several people are ticked off . . .

So I think Driving Charm School might be a good idea. Small things we can all do:

Slow down or move over when someone is trying to merge, even if the person merging is tentative and going too slowly to actually merge at the same speed as traffic. Some people are highly intimidated when merging. Yes, it is aggravating but make some allowances so traffic doesn't get backed up - or so someone doesn't hit a car from the rear when he/she suddenly stops when no one will let him/her merge.

Don't tailgate. Some people seem to think sitting on another driver's bumper will make them speed up. If anything, you do that to a Southerner, and he/she will slow down and if they get pissed, they will hit the brakes. It will be your fault if you hit them from the rear. And Southerners - no matter how aggravated you are - do not hit that brake b/c you are peeved that someone is tailgating.

Some small things we can all do . . . actions and reactions . . . would help when it comes to dealing with habits we all may have brought w/ us - ALL OF US - both natives and newcomers.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-19-2008 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: misspell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:58 AM

76 posts, read 291,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcapture
Using your turn signal to signal that a driver in front of you is turning is illegal--it's in the handbook. It is more dangerous than helpful. More than once I have been fooled into thinking that the signalling driver is turning and made a move to pass (legally), only to have them suddenly punch it and take off, putting me in danger. If you are following the proper distance behind, brake lights on the car in front of you are all you should need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Actually, Jack, I remember being taught somewhere along the line that this was illegal, also. So don't feel bad. However, I also have had to get a license in Kansas, so I wondered - was that a KS law and not an NC law? And of course, it may have been an NC law 35 years ago when I was a kid . . . and so many laws have been dropped. But just didn't want to leave you hanging out there thinking you had lost your mind, Hee Hee. I know at some point, I was taught that using your signal to indicate another driver's moves or to slow down traffic was illegal. But again - this could be an old law . . . or could be something I learned while studying for my KS driver's test.

Just wanted you to know - I had pondered this myself.
I'm a native and I was also taught that this is illegal. I've seen it happen many times and it's always more irritating and/or dangerous than it is useful.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:35 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hee Hee. Charm School. Well, I am hoping we can all learn to blend together nicely here in "The New South." I think that most of the newcomers actually want to find out what distinguishes this area as "different" - what that term "Southern Charm" really means . . .

Unfortunately, it seems both locals and newcomers often have habits (and reactions to habits) on the road - that are much less than charming. I think it goes both ways. I know I find myself getting really aggravated at times while driving here - not something I have experienced in other cities. I think newcomers get irritated when Southerners do not have the same driving habits they are used to - and vice versa.

For one thing, I think newcomers from some areas are used to hitting their horns. Here in the South, you only hit your horn in the most egregious of circumstances - such as someone getting ready to make an unsafe move. It is an "alert" that says - WATCH OUT!!! Newcomers seem to hit their horns just to express aggravation - such as when the car in front is being very cautious pulling out into an intersection - and the newcomer in the car behind decides to start honking. Talk about ticking a Southerner off. So to express his/her aggravation at being honked at, the Southerner will then just go slower . . . so that has a domino effect - and then several people are ticked off . . .

So I think Driving Charm School might be a good idea. Small things we can all do:

Slow down or move over when someone is trying to merge, even if the person merging is tentative and going too slowly to actually merge at the same speed as traffic. Some people are highly intimidated when merging. Yes, it is aggravating but make some allowances so traffic doesn't get backed up - or so someone doesn't hit a car from the rear when he/she suddenly stops when no one will let him/her merge.

Don't tailgate. Some people seem to think sitting on another driver's bumper will make them speed up. If anything, you do that to a Southerner, and he/she will slow down and if they get pissed, they will hit the brakes. It will be your fault if you hit them from the rear. And Southerners - no matter how aggravated you are - do not hit that brake b/c you are peeved that someone is tailgating.

Some small things we can all do . . . actions and reactions . . . would help when it comes to dealing with habits we all may have brought w/ us - ALL OF US - both natives and newcomers.
That horn thing is so irritating, Ani. It's started around here, too. Locals here seem to have the same reacton.....I'm going the speed limit (or as fast as the traffic in front) & you want me to go faster - well, see how you like going slower.......

Tailgating is illegal here, & the honkers are usually also tailgating. People here will tap the brake if they're irritated enough, since it isn't as likely to cause an accident.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:55 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I was once driving south on I-77 at the VA/NC border and ran into heavy fog. Everyone in the line of car/trucks was using their 4-way flashers until the fog dissipated enough to see clearly.
Yeah you are referring to "Fancy Gap", going up/down the mountain. That area is notorious for dense fog and high winds.

When I lived in Alabama, I saw alot of people signal to the car following them when someone was turning. I guess this is really common in more rural areas where two lane roads are the norm.

I'm a truck driver and one thing most truckers (and some car drivers) will do is turn on their hazards when the traffic is stopping on the interstate. This obviously helps prevent rear-end collisions when drivers cannot see the backup beyond the trucks in front of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte