Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:22 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,580,017 times

Advertisements

Offhand I think Oregon is the other state that doesn't allow the customers to pump their own gas. Nothing a quick google search wouldn't confirm and I'm sure someone will check me hah.

I was aware that you couldn't pump your own in NJ because we have some relatives there. (I'm not from there, I'm native Charlotte (one of a few)).

Eastland and Freedom dr certainly are among Charlottes worst areas. However, I am with you. It does not compare to Philly.

When visiting Philly the last time, I drove through parts of the area just west of UPenn. It seemed the further west you go, the worse it go. Charlotte doesn't really have anything quite like that that I have seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:28 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,481,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Offhand I think Oregon is the other state that doesn't allow the customers to pump their own gas. Nothing a quick google search wouldn't confirm and I'm sure someone will check me hah.

I was aware that you couldn't pump your own in NJ because we have some relatives there. (I'm not from there, I'm native Charlotte (one of a few)).

Eastland and Freedom dr certainly are among Charlottes worst areas. However, I am with you. It does not compare to Philly.

When visiting Philly the last time, I drove through parts of the area just west of UPenn. It seemed the further west you go, the worse it go. Charlotte doesn't really have anything quite like that that I have seen.
I think you're right on Oregon, but not positive,

If you didn't like West Philly, well.....you ain't seen nothin'...... . North Philly is worse.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:14 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,665,141 times
Definitely Oregon is the other "full serve only" state.
As a former PA resident, I was ecstatic to stop doing two stops before a party...state store for wine and liquor, beer distributor/bottle shop for beer.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:19 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,021,859 times
Default I agree about the bad areas

the bad areas in Philly are way worse then the bad areas here however the suburbs here have A LOT more crime then any of the nice suburbs of Philly..that was the biggest difference for us. The "bad guys" typically stay in the bad areas of Philly whereas here they come out to the suburbs to cause all sorts of problems.

Welcome you will love the weather here in the winter!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:17 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,851,491 times
You can't buy liquor in grocery stores here in Florida either, only wine and beer. there are some laws requiring alcoholic with a content of over 16% (not sure of the percentage) to be sold in a state controlled facility in many states. The last time I saw someone putting gas in the car for the driver was last summer in Minnesota. Unfortunately, the gas at the service pump was much more expensive. If there were Playboy Bunnies pumping gas, I wouldn't had minded paying. Shhhh! Don't tell my wife I said that.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 18,976 times
i think you've got us pegged pretty well! we have been here for 7 years & love it! in missiouri, you can buy alcohol (actual liquor not just beer & wine) practically anywhere - supermarkets, gas stations. it was extremely easy to get when you are underaged so i'm guessing that is the reason for the stricter rules in some states. and yes, people here drive nicer. my husband who is from miami came home after his first day of work and said "no one honked at me or cut me off all day!" he was pleasantly surprised. now when we go back to miami he is a nervous wreck driving in their chaos & rudeness. i think you will really like it here. it has alot to offer!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 AM

81 posts, read 272,936 times
Seeing beer in the supermarkets and wine in CVS caught me off guard as well when I first came down here. I grew up in a NE Philly suburb (Hatboro/Willow Grove area), and I remember that my parents always picked up the alcohol and gas usually in NJ where my cousins lived (Moorestown). If we couldn't go to NJ, then it was to the Wine & Spirits followed by the beer distributor near the train station in town. When they came down here, my parents were also caught off guard by seeing them in stores.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 AM

9,510 posts, read 16,411,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes!, NJ is one of 2 states that does not allow customers to pump their own gas.

Beer, wine & liquor are sold in liquor stores & bars, not in supermarkets or grocery stores.
Yeah, I live in the other one Oregon, I think it sucks not being able to pump my own gas. I buy it across the river in Washington state where I can pump it myself.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 AM

9,510 posts, read 16,411,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLemur View Post
So I've been here for a week now. I moved from New Jersey in a suburb of Philadelphia. I moved into an apartment on Harris Blvd in the 28269/Mallard Creek area. Here are some thoughts:

-Aside from Harris Blvd, the traffic here is much easier to deal with, although I'm not used to so many u-turns. (NJ is all jughandles) The roads are also in much better shape, presumably due to the lack of snow and wintry conditions.

-It's very green and lush here, I like that!

-Someone made a comment on my NJ driving

-There are lots of diverse restaurants, which is important to me

-Your bad areas are not nearly as bad as Philadelphia's bad areas (north philly, camden) and I feel safe driving around in them, go figure.. I drove around freedom drive, and around the eastland mall, im assuming those are the worst spots

-There are a million and one Harris Teeter's!

-There's a lot more places for mexican food... a lot.

-Only like 25% of people seem to have souther accents

-All the illegally placed house signs are grouped together, whats with that?

-People like to put 26" rims on 1982 chevy caprices

-Greenways are awesome

-Cable internet speeds are slower here then in the northeast

-The quality of materials used in houses is much more impressive then in those in the northeast, and the colors are often more vibrant

-I have to buy liquor in these ABC stores, but as a plus I can buy beer/wine in any store, normal for you, but weird to me!

-I have to pump my own gas!! (its illegal to pump your own in NJ)

I think that's all for now
As far as the restaurants, I am told one has to really search for one other than fast food where there is no smoking in them. That seems odd and a few other things in this day and age.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 AM

529 posts, read 1,972,996 times
That is just odd not being able to pump your own gas. Any reason for that decision in NJ or Oregon? I guess with the gas prices, you have to tip them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte