Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 02:01 AM

346 posts, read 308,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenLenLen View Post
We lived in Tacoma from 2010-2018 and then lived in Charleston for a couple years and recently moved to Charlotte. PNW is a gem- there is no other place like it, I’m convinced. It is next level with natural beauty and you never have to travel far to find it. You can be in Seattle, Olympia, Tacoma.. and chances are, you have views- whether its of the water, the sound, rocky beaches, the mountain range, Mt. Rainer.. it’s all stunning and RIGHT THERE. You dont have that in Charlotte. Yes, NC as a state has a lot of beautiful areas to explore but you have to go looking for them and drive for them. Charlotte itself and surrounding area, to me, feels very “anywhere America”.. it is mainly a sprawl of residential neighborhoods. I guess some people would say NASCAR is an original thing it has going for it but I have yet to meet anyone who actually gets excited over that. And while the Seattle market is crazy right now, Charlotte housing market is not much less hot if you’re wanting to live in any desirable areas. Houses go very quickly and way over list price as well.

With that being said, I do feel pretty happy in Charlotte. So far, it feels “easy” living here… things seem more convenient. Yes, we have to drive a bit to spend the day outdoors but you can actually swim in the coastline here (unlike the PNW). You can play in the waterfalls. Others cities are close too- Charleston (which feels like another world) is three hours away. The people are very kind and welcoming and I personally love how many transplants/immigrants there are here. The summers are a beast and the bugs/critters it brings are just as concerning as the heat itself (they’re BAD). BUT we definitely gain several months out of the year to play outside with the mild fall, manageable winter and pleasant springtime. I also prefer sporadic torrential downpours with thunder and lighting over the constant gloom/continual mist rain for months on end. For what it’s worth- our entire family was always sick through cold and flu season in Tacoma. We are never sick here.. lots of sunshine!

Other random, small differences: I’ve noticed is that healthcare here is easier- any appointments I’ve made for myself or my kids, we’ve been able to be seen quickly. It was always MONTHS and MONTHS wait time in Tacoma for anything routine. Also, this will depend where you live but I actually find the political feel of the area to be more balanced where as it felt intense in Tacoma at times. People seem more laid back here. Charlotte airport is huge and easy to fly in and out of - unlike SeaTac which is notoriously more expensive and busier (not sure how much you travel). However, I miss delicious Pho and coffee being all around me in Tacoma LOL. In a nutshell- I really miss Seattle and even Portland- the whole vibe the PNW offers but I don’t think we could live there again. Charlotte is a very easy large city to get settled into quickly with family and probably even more so if you’re single.

Same easily could be said about Portland. Know how many times I been bored to tears in Portland??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenCheetah View Post
Not Charlotte, but my wife and I moved to Greensboro NC from Portland OR 4 years ago. I'm very familiar with Seattle though having worked and visited there when we lived in the PNW. We mostly moved because we were tired of the skyhigh real estate prices and terrible traffic of Portland, something I know is the same in Seattle.

The things I've noticed since we've been here are - for me at least - is too much religion. It influences a lot of things here, and not in a good way, imo. Also crime - at least in Greensboro - is very high - especially violent crime. There's a murder almost every night that makes it to the morning news. Also although there are nice hiking areas and things to see here, they (imo) pale against the mtns in the PNW, as well as the Columbia River Gorge. And of course Crater Lake.

On the plus side people are pretty friendly, and traffic is a fraction of Portland's/Seattle's. Our vehicle maintenance costs and gas bills have dropped dramatically. As well as our frustration trying to get home from work. Btw it gets very hot and humid here in the summer so be prepared. Very different climate from the PNW.

We're probably gonna stay here for a while at least, but I have to say I miss Seattle immensely. It's a great city - in fact it's probably my favorite US city and we've lived in and travelled to many. Oh and we have visited Charlotte maybe a half dozen times since we've lived here, it's a cool city for sure. So I say give it a shot, OP. If it doesn't work out to your liking you can always return to the West Coast.

You can PM me if you have any specifics you'd like to know. Good luck!

I moved to Columbia SC from the Portland immediate area, but I might now go to Charlotte as its a little more what I am used to but without getting the heavy blue environment of Portland. Columbia and Portland feel like polar opposites as well as OR and SC. Both similar smallish cities with about the same amount of stuff to do, I even debate Columbia has more actually for a place with 135K people vs 600K in Portland, the social opportunities are about the same though. Its easier to get around in Columbia but people still don't want to meet and are rather insular like in Portland. Keep to themselves too much. I wouldn't doubt that in 10 years or less that they're going to start making Columbia like a Portland and make things even bigger. Or at least it will be like Eugene and Salem both.

Charlotte is a little more moderate and what I am looking for. Bigger city, friendlier, people don't let the little things bother them it doesn't seem like to me. Major sports as well.

I however manage to be less bored in Columbia area than when I was in Portland believe it or not even if its not a total fit. I can imagine more in Columbia at least with some of the nice complex looking plazas, even run down spots you knew was once something as some of the abandoned buildings sit. I constantly find change on the ground too.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I have. I moved from Seattle back in July 2020. I am originally from Tennessee.

Seattle is very nice and pretty. It is pricey however i lived in NYC so it isn't as pricey as that. The people there are really laid back, some to the point of being spineless. Being upfront and a bit outspoken got me in a bit of trouble out there, at the same time, I fit in well because I am introverted and keep to myself. Being here in Charlotte, the south is a harder place to navigate if you are like me. I also don't wear my heart on my sleeve and it's very hard to read me. I feel those two traits were more beneficial back in the PNW.

I am also noticing that no matter where I've lived (NYC, Clarksville, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Columbia) there is always a good mix of political leanings. It is true that a place like Seattle is very liberal. I consider myself a conservative and I've had to keep my political opinions to myself. NYC was a little better, however I still had to muzzle my opinions when around other blacks because most of our community leans liberal no matter where you go. But when considering a move to a place politics ranks low on my list as I tend to prioritize opportunity (i.e. Jobs and hobbies).

Even though I grew up in TN I find that I no longer have a tolerance for humidity as well as I did in my youth. Up until I left TN at the age of 22, I had zero issues if it was 100+ degrees outside with the heat index making it feel like 110 or more. I did have an issue being inside because the AC was always up high. That's the one thing I like about Seattle, was that nowhere was AC blaring and one could comfortably sleep with the window cracked open. I think between living there and NY state, and taking meds that raise my body temperature, I prefer mild temperatures. Fall is my favorite season so I am looking forward to that.

This past year has really shaken things upside down though. Cities became less fun to live in. I do respect the south for not imposing lockdowns and vaccine mandates. I was surprised to see the number of people down here who wanted more restrictions, and it was vexing to hear because my quality of life and mental well-being took a nose dive when Seattle had its lockdowns and constant protests. My favorite spa closed which really saddened me because i used to go weekly. It was an extremely refreshing thing to do. There's one that I go to down in GA which is about a 4 hr drive one way, but I am grateful it's fully open. With gas and the admission fee it isn't that much.

I learned to drive down here and got my first car. A part of me will probably never get used to driving everywhere. I would much rather walk or take a bus/light rail/train, especially considering I work nights and have to deal with awful traffic two of the mornings I commute back home. I still enjoy my walks, but I feel there could be more parks here.

I learned about the recent mandate for health care workers to get the vaccine in WA, so that's off the table for right now. Here in Charlotte only 1 hospital is mandating it, but I've met a number of other health care workers who are against the mandates. I don't think the mandate is going to gain much traction down south. I do feel for anyone living elsewhere that does not want to get it but will be forced to in order to keep their job.

Overall the south is ok for me. If it were not for the pandemic, I probably would be up north somewhere.

I couldn't fit in with PNW residents at all. I was somewhat quiet and reserved but a lot of things were off. I would speak my mind and get ostracized. In the south you can also, but for different reasons. I found it took nothing, absolutely nothing for PNW people to be offended by me. They're even more uptight in their social norms than back in New England. but like there, the south also has their transplants who try hard to fit into the culture and often overcompensate, and I think in the PNW they do that also. The "act like Natives" thing often gets taken too far.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
Charlotte and Greensboro are two entirely different places. Charlotte is bigger than Portland. Portland is to Seattle as Charlotte is to Atlanta. They are different worlds. Nevertheless, I am curious how religion has had a negative affect on you and on things in Greensboro? I am not religious, however I find it annoying when newcomers mention such an old, prejudicial, stereotype. The state leans toward being conservative, the PNW leans liberal. That should be a factors in moving here. Most people around the state are glad that Amazon didn't decide to move its headquarters to the area as the culture is not pleasing nor generally willing to assimilate.

Wow that reminds me of Columbia SC!! Is this Charlotte you're talking about? Because it sounds like Columbia would totally reject Amazon. Hey thats cool if its Charlotte, it keeps the cost less and all the more for a huge city. Bonus points. I think Raleigh has Amazon though if I am not mistaken. See, I am not a bleeding heart liberal type, the south has them but they tend to be concentrated in pockets from what I see.

I am the type who is a MtF trans person but the left wouldn't accept me nor would a ton of LGBT people. I am stuck in the middle with ___ like the Bob Dylan song.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:54 PM

606 posts, read 419,070 times
I did notice the residents back in Seattle are passive. Someone at my old job said I had an attitude lol. But I think that's probably because I've always been straightfoward and see no use in beating around the bush.

I grew up in TN and lived in Columbia and I think that the downside in places like these is that the culture tends to be a bit insular. With Columbia I think that the way it's built and having to drive everywhere doesn't lend itself to meeting people or hanging out easily.

As much as I disliked it down there, I would be happy to see Amazon keeping out of there. But at least SC has decent beaches to fit every budget.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I did notice the residents back in Seattle are passive. Someone at my old job said I had an attitude lol. But I think that's probably because I've always been straightfoward and see no use in beating around the bush.

I grew up in TN and lived in Columbia and I think that the downside in places like these is that the culture tends to be a bit insular. With Columbia I think that the way it's built and having to drive everywhere doesn't lend itself to meeting people or hanging out easily.

As much as I disliked it down there, I would be happy to see Amazon keeping out of there. But at least SC has decent beaches to fit every budget.

The thig with this though is while Columbia is car centric, I saw walkable parts too. Even in the Northeast where some of those bad hotels are. I could walk up Two Notch and find a lot of stuff. There is foot travel, but not to the level I was doing. People just might be too lazy but I saw crosswalks that suggested it could have been a part of Portland. I saw the foundation, its just he drivers never looked for pedestrians and often times would almost hit them. Even though the crosswalks and roads looked like they partially were built for walking. and this is in Columbia, not even downtown.

And assume you couldn't walk anywhere, but distances weren't too too long to get from one side or the other depending on what roads you take. Maybe people just don't take those short cuts too much or don't know them. but I would think if you did, you can get places easier and be in a position to get to someones place or meet them somewhere.

I just think people are lazy, and the transplants who come here, and then some locals who got sick of them, a lot of people are just shutting down.

I've had pictures in my head several times though about how Columbia is in fact THE Portland that a lot of the locals there want back, the one with less progress but where it also should be easier because not everything is priced up yet either. It makes you wonder + a few times at least, I did see Oregon tags in Columbia.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:20 PM

Interesting observations. I have never been to Portland so I will take your word on it. I have seen it on Goggle maps and it looks very gorgeous and walkable. I've also heard there's a lot of transit options. I suppose both Columbia and Portland have that going for it. I mostly stayed around Leesburg which did seem pretty spaced out. However I could at least walk to the grocery store and saw a lot of pother people doing it too. I used to live in West Columbia when I was there in 2005 and I think that area is more walkable than Leesburg was. But it's been so long since I have lived there.

At least Portland doesn't appear to have totally gentrified to the extent Seattle has. But I did notice a lot of apartments want massive security deposits so I imagine there's a lot of movement into the city.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Interesting observations. I have never been to Portland so I will take your word on it. I have seen it on Goggle maps and it looks very gorgeous and walkable. I've also heard there's a lot of transit options. I suppose both Columbia and Portland have that going for it. I mostly stayed around Leesburg which did seem pretty spaced out. However I could at least walk to the grocery store and saw a lot of pother people doing it too. I used to live in West Columbia when I was there in 2005 and I think that area is more walkable than Leesburg was. But it's been so long since I have lived there.

At least Portland doesn't appear to have totally gentrified to the extent Seattle has. But I did notice a lot of apartments want massive security deposits so I imagine there's a lot of movement into the city.

Where is Leesburg? Oregon?

West Columbia looks like the best most affordable part if you want close access to downtown. I often don't find listings over there, maybe the secret is not a secret anymore. I went to that His House thrift store there in West Columbia, like closest to Lexington once you get past the highway exits. Thats an active section to live in, you could walk some of that closer in yea.

I think the NW and Portland is sure to fall apart soon as its so inflated now in costs, fires will take it all out and whoever remains, I think it will go back in time some as some of the people will be sure to leave. A lot will be destroyed too of course.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:46 AM

Leesburg is a road in Columbia. Lots of trees but it's pretty country. Lots of narrow, winding roads too. I definitely agree about the NW falling apart. I think it's safe to say it's falling apart now. I've been following news for those areas out of curiosity. Biggest thing I'm noticing are all the police leaving or police not being able to do their jobs due to changes in policy. I can't imagine the extended evictions moratoriums are helping it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte