U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:49 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,651,851 times

Advertisements

Hmmm.

I just logged on to city data and found a thread asking about going to the Knights' games (it had a clever title, too -- a line stolen from the movie "Major League"), but it seems to have disappeared. But since I went to the game last night, I'm gonna comment anyway.

The Knights game was a blast! I got a great seat a couple hours before the game by going to their website and buying the ticket from them -- you can even pick where you sit -- not just the section, but the actual seat! For twelve bucks I was behind home plate, nine rows back, on the aisle. I suspect you can probably always get tickets just by going to the box office before the game, but I don't know for sure. I'm basing this guess on the fact that last night probably should've been a good draw -- Dontrelle Willis was pitching for Toledo, on a rehab assignment from the Detroit Tigers -- but there wasn't a very big crowd at all. Perhaps it's a different story on weekends.

Anyway, finding the stadium is easy, parking is a breeze, and the game is fun -- lots of little minor leaguey things going on between innings and such. I recommend it as a fun night out for anyone who even likes baseball a little.

Pics!

I moved back a few rows to get a better picture of the whole field:

Dontrelle pitching:

Dontrelle signing autographs before the game:

Random shot of what I thought was a pretty staircase deep in the bowels of Knights Stadium
("Knights Stadium"? Is that what it's called?):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 AM

219 posts, read 517,420 times
Thanks for the reply and the information! I appreciate it.

The pics are great...thanks for including them! I am moving up there on Friday and if all goes as planned Im gonna try and make that game...a nice unwind from a day of driving! A cold beer and hot dog would top the day off great!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-13-2008 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: if you have a problem with a moderator action take it up with the moderator in dm

Old 05-13-2008, 06:37 AM

387 posts, read 841,149 times
We've gone to Knight's games several times and always have a blast. My kids love it. We go frequently as we are huge sports fans, especially baseball and that is the only thing we miss since we have moved here. We used to go to Oakland A's games every weekend they were home. Major league teams are way too far away for us here.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:48 AM

10 posts, read 15,070 times
Default how to get there?

Anyway, I looked at the Knights schedule and found some games I am interested in. Then I looked at the directions and am now on the Charlotte Area bus line schedule. Can anyone tell me which bus goes to the stadium from uptown? All I could find was one to Carowinds. From my posts yesterday, the train goes no where close. Would love to see some baseball.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-13-2008 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 AM

187 posts, read 496,587 times
I am a ballpark reviewer in my (now very limited) spare time, and one of the first things I did upon moving to Charlotte was to review Knights Stadium (and no, I won't post the link to the review -- I know the forum rules. If anyone's that curious, DM me.)

I know that the swing (pardon the pun) these days is toward new facilities, but Knights Stadium is really comfortable, and quite fun!

There is not a bus that goes directly there, unfortunately. The closest you could get is Carowinds (one exit north) or Baxter Village (one exit south).

Glad everyone's having fun...I'm glad the Knights are here!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,719,209 times
Hopefully in the next few years...the Charlotte Knights will be playing in Uptown Charlotte in their new Uptown Baseball Stadium. It will be a more central location especially for people living North & Northeast of Charlotte. I think it will be good for the city and hopefully will do well.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,792,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
("Knights Stadium"? Is that what it's called
We call it "The Castle"...The Knights are the AAA affiliate for the Chicago White Sox...Great shots from last night's game! I was there, too. I'm there for almost every game (I'm one of the concession mgrs., the one's running back & forth in the blue Knight's polo shirts carrying radios).

Going to a Knight's game IS alot of fun & very affordable if you have kids. Lots of food choices at the concessions. They even have a restaurant (Home Run Cafe) upstairs where you can watch the game in air-conditioned comfort. They also have a buffet special in the HRC Thurs.-Sat. & fireworks every Sat. night. FYI...no beer sold on Sundays. If the kiddies get antsy, they have a play area with a carousel & air bounce. It's a very family-friendly place to go & have a good time outdoors!! What's better than baseball & hot dogs?!

Next time your at a game, ask for Rosann. It'll be nice to place some faces to the CDF names!!

BxRosie

Old 05-13-2008, 08:15 AM

755 posts, read 2,245,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Hopefully in the next few years...the Charlotte Knights will be playing in Uptown Charlotte in their new Uptown Baseball Stadium. It will be a more central location especially for people living North & Northeast of Charlotte. I think it will be good for the city and hopefully will do well.
But people can PARK at the stadium in Ft. Mill and with violent crime being such a growing problem, where does the city justify spending $25 million on a baseball stadium that is NOT needed?

The stadium as it is now is GREAT and is an affordable/easy to access outing for everyone. No need to mess with that.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 AM

187 posts, read 496,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
[snip]
Next time your at a game, ask for Rosann. It'll be nice to place some faces to the CDF names!!
Excellent! It's great to see some people here who work at the ballpark. I will say that, with a couple of exceptions, everyone at the park was tremendously friendly on the night I visited to do the review. Nothing personal, but I wouldn't have introduced myself on the night of my review, as I never do that when I visit on review trips. I don't want any personal treatment or anything, because I like to keep my reviews as a fan would see them. Now that I can go back as often as I want, I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I'm somewhat envious of your job!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:22 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,719,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
But people can PARK at the stadium in Ft. Mill and with violent crime being such a growing problem, where does the city justify spending $25 million on a baseball stadium that is NOT needed?

The stadium as it is now is GREAT and is an affordable/easy to access outing for everyone. No need to mess with that.
What are you talking about Violent Crime?

Are you serious. Uptown is THE safest area in the entire city of Charlotte. I live Uptown. You never hear about crime in Uptown Charlotte.

ALL the other sports are located Uptown and it is probably just a matter of time before the Knights are Uptown. We welcome them Uptown!

What about people that live in Lake Norman or Concord...most likely they are not gonna drive all the way to Fort Mill...they would drive Uptown I bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte