U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM

716 posts, read 1,906,663 times

Advertisements

I thought the one at the mall had a piece of it collapse because someone drove a car into it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:08 PM

807 posts, read 2,042,014 times
In general there are two types of construction, private and public. Private construction is typically not held to a higher standard IMO. Yes, the codes are followed but sometimes the rules are bent in order to finish the project. I'm going to take a wild guess at the failure (just for fun). Based on no facts I am going to blame all major parties, contractor/engineer/owner. I think the contractor was allowed to build the next story above before the concrete below had the chance to cure. This was done in order to fill those offices with rent paying tenants to please the owner. So if this were the case, who is trouble?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
I thought the one at the mall had a piece of it collapse because someone drove a car into it?
You right, however that never sat well with me. I don't like the idea of a parking deck designed for cars driving though it can't handle an impact on an exterior wall without the floor falling Maybe the code standard needs to be raised.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:34 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,273,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
You right, however that never sat well with me. I don't like the idea of a parking deck designed for cars driving though it can't handle an impact on an exterior wall without the floor falling Maybe the code standard needs to be raised.

That seemed like a convenient excuse to me too. Did anyone ever get hold of the driver of that car to see what the story was? How on earth do you gather so much speed that not only can you knock out the wall but cave the floor beneath you at the same time?

These decks are turning into houses of cards.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:38 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
That seemed like a convenient excuse to me too. Did anyone ever get hold of the driver of that car to see what the story was? How on earth do you gather so much speed that not only can you knock out the wall but cave the floor beneath you at the same time?

Uh Brian? She had a heart attack and died, that's why she went out of control

STILL, hitting that one corner she did should not have been enough to bring down the structure the way it did if you ask me!

Old 05-13-2008, 03:43 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,273,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Uh Brian? She had a heart attack and died, that's why she went out of control

STILL, hitting that one corner she did should not have been enough to bring down the structure the way it did if you ask me!

Was that what happened? Honestly I never knew.

I think I'm better off in the grass thread.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post

I think she died, she may have had a heart attack or something along those lines before impact.

I can't claim to know about parking deck construction but now it does interest me on how the floors are supported by brackets on the inner part of the exterior walls. So if the exterior wall bows out, the floor has nothing to sit on except inner supports. Check out the collapse at the Tropicana in Atlantic City, that one went down during construction. I think the brackets I was just writing about were the cause, but I think they may have been put in the wrong way.

I wonder how much time the city will spend investigating this last collapse. Since no one was hurt and its privately owned will they dig deep or put the responsiblity on the owner?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:06 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
They are saying on the news that there are engineers from the city over there on site - or were - so I don't know. All pretty vague.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 PM

822 posts, read 2,540,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Don't be so quick to blame the contractor, a good look at the design engineer should be considered. Contractors build whats on the drawings, the engineering firm or construction managers are there to inspect the projects as it is being built. Concrete samples are typically taken on every truck load and tested. All structual steel is designed by engineers and built by approved fabricators.
What about a building type inspector that is unaffiliated with the contractor? A third party, objective inspection is crucial at each step.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
What about a building type inspector that is unaffiliated with the contractor? A third party, objective inspection is crucial at each step.
Any project of good size public or private will have an inspector. Who he works will vary but it won't be from the contractor. It may come from the owner (like CMUD) or from the design engineers. If the contract is large the owners may hire construction managers to administer the contract and supply their own inspectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or