Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:24 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
True, but as others mentioned - the first thing I thought of was bad products, such as w/ the speedway issue. Then I thought - hmmmm - could be engineering, such as w/ Hyatt situation.

The close proximity of both incidences in the SouthPark area make me want to find out more about both the engineering firm that designed each parking deck as well as the contractor who built each deck. One cannot help but speculate as frankly . . . in all my years, I have never even KNOWN of a parking deck that collapsed out of the clear blue. And to have TWO in one city- and located truly only a matter of hundreds of yards from each other . . . now really . . . that is weird. Then add to it the Lowe's walkway collapse and you gotta wonder. What is the deal???

I sure know if I were an attorney, I would be digging out docs from the city to see who built what and when!!!!
I agree, Ani.

They showed the collapse & mentioned the proximity of the other collapse on our local CBS station. It looked a lot like a collapse in Atlantic City a few years back. That collapsed while under construction. It was eventually tied to some other collapses. The probems were eventually traced to concrete not being allowed to properly dry & cure in order to rush construction. No connection was made until the unfinished parking garage collapsed, because workmen were killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 04:45 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree, Ani.

They showed the collapse & mentioned the proximity of the other collapse on our local CBS station. It looked a lot like a collapse in Atlantic City a few years back. That collapsed while under construction. It was eventually tied to some other collapses. The probems were eventually traced to concrete not being allowed to properly dry & cure in order to rush construction. No connection was made until the unfinished parking garage collapsed, because workmen were killed.
I remember the first report was about the curing time for the concrete but later they found the floor was not properly fastened to the walls. If I'm incorrect about that then someone should have gone to jail for allowing the contractor to continue. That was a point I was trying to make in an earlier post with reguards to private construction. Try loading a bridge deck on a DOT project before 28 days, they will have you jack hammer the deck out the next day.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
I remember the first report was about the curing time for the concrete but later they found the floor was not properly fastened to the walls. If I'm incorrect about that then someone should have gone to jail for allowing the contractor to continue. That was a point I was trying to make in an earlier post with reguards to private construction. Try loading a bridge deck on a DOT project before 28 days, they will have you jack hammer the deck out the next day.
There was a big criminal trial, & the defendants were found guilty. At the time of the trial they were talking about the concrete. I saw your post after I wrote & posted mie.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree, Ani.

You mean - our parking deck collapse was picked up tonite on your station? I went outside and missed the national news - have had it on CNN.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You mean - our parking deck collapse was picked up tonite on your station? I went outside and missed the national news - have had it on CNN.
Yup, KYW-TV carried it tonight, Ani. cbs3.com - Parking Deck Collapses In Charlotte, North Carolina (http://cbs3.com/national/parking.deck.collapse.2.722624.html - broken link)

Last night WCAU showed footage clearly labeled Lincolnton, NC with a huge funnel cloud in the background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte