Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:58 PM

161 posts, read 464,777 times

Advertisements

Sure all of these sites are lovely and it's a relatively nice place to live. However, the job market is terrible. I relocated alone without a job and I feel it's a big mistake. Being alone something can happen to me out here and it's dangerous. I took a big risk on my life and I don't recommend this to no one. At least in NY I knew people and here I know no one. True NY is not much safer but if I don't find a job the propety where I live said I am outta here and let's hope I don't end up homeless. It's difficult to take jobs just to make ends meet. It's not a good way of life. There is nothing wrong with earning a good living. So if you know of anyone who plans to move without a job. Tell them forget it no matter how much mone they have to at least have a good support structure and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
Nanvas, sorry you have not found a job. Moving here without a job is very risky and one put themselves at a vulnerable risk. We here on CD constantly reiterate, "don't move here without a job". Hope things changes for you soon.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Nanvas, haven't we seen posts from you while in Raleigh - saying you moved there and couldn't find a job? Not meaning that in an unkind way but maybe you had it better in NY than you realized. Can you get your old job back????

Old 05-14-2008, 05:00 PM

48 posts, read 188,916 times
nanvas, why can't you find a job? This place is recession proof and flourishing!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:22 PM

175 posts, read 546,344 times
I really wouldn't move ANYPLACE without first having a job. Not trying to be mean but it doesn't have anything to do w/ CLT. I would always get the job first and than move.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
I can only assume that you have your sight to high in the type of work you can do, skills you can offer, overly expected salary range and interviewing skills.

I am only assuming this because you choose the Raliegh market and then the Charlotte market and both economies are doing ok.
There is a vast type of work for someone. If you cannot find your field then settle for something else until something in your field of expertise comes open.

Open your eyes a little more in the different possibilities of work you can do and choose different sources that you have been using for job searches.
Join churches, civic organizations that are around you. This will help you feel more acquainted in the area you are living in and possible avenues to network for employment.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro2008 View Post
I really wouldn't move ANYPLACE without first having a job. Not trying to be mean but it doesn't have anything to do w/ CLT. I would always get the job first and than move.
Yep. I agree. I hope others will take heed as we continually advise people not to move here w/o a job first. Just not a wise thing to do.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:48 PM

117 posts, read 386,021 times
Sprint is hiring like crazy but I think they are only starting people out at 11.00 an hour. But hey it's better than nothing right.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:56 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I can only assume that you have your sight to high in the type of work you can do, skills you can offer, overly expected salary range and interviewing skills.

That's a bad assumption. When I had my problems I couldn't get an interview on anything, from a bank to a Best Buy. Temp agencies weren't calling. That's just me. Look back on the numerous threads here from people having an incredibly difficult time finding a job or even just getting an interview. Certainly we all can't be setting our sights too high.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
...Certainly we all can't be setting our sights too high.
Perhaps not setting your sights too high, but rather having an unrealistic view of the Charlotte job market versus your skill set. Charlotte's unemployment rate is right at the national average. So there's really no reason to believe "anybody", regardless of their background, would have a better time finding a job here than anywhere else in America. As I've said before, people read information about Charlotte and draw their own conclusions; rather right or wrong. There is no "person" who has said to the masses, "Everybody come on down to Charlotte, we've got a job for you." Certain people have better opportunites than others to find jobs because of their background and experience. There have been many threads here as well, that speak to those many success stories.

Links to recent unemployment rate stories: Charlotte Business | Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/business/story/597086.html - broken link)

Mecklenburg unemployment down slightly - Charlotte Business Journal:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte