Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:08 PM

161 posts, read 464,524 times

Advertisements

Sure the best will survive but the best always will. I am an Admin. with good tech skills and worked for fortune 500 firms throughout my career. As my friends in NY put it. It was very foolish of me to take such a risk on my life. NY was always good to me and in the end comes through for me. I had a job in a bank and after one week I quit (in NY that is) because I felt I was not going to hit it off with the supervisor so I left. Not a good move. Then I had a chance for a temp to perm spot with good money and turned it down with benefits. So you see I have not made good choices in my life. I agree with someone here who said that if I were a native I would have the better choices. There seem sto be so much greed inspite of the relocating population and competition. I see it all around. If it's judgemental so it is. Tomorrow I start a temp spot God forbeit I get sick with no benefits it's dangerous. I did better in NY I just should have known and if I can at all return I will in a heartbeat. My friends tell me you have gone through savings unnecessarily giving it to people who have nothing to offer but nasty comments from employment agencies telling me go back where you came from and let them find you a job. How is that for Southern Charm. I am working with one agency called Carolina Legal who got me a temp spot and a few others that I signed up with almost 1/2 dz. agencies in addition to me recruiting myself. I don't trust they will all help but in light of the current situation there cannot be enough recruiters in my corner. Not all have the same client not all are good recruiters, not all of them are willing to help. So that is why I cover as much territory as I can. Regardless. if you know of anyone at all whether it;s a friend, or family contemplating on moving w/o a job. Tell them to forget it no matter how good the market gets. I came close with bank of america from NY and they took someone that was already here. They will not give employment to anyone that is not a resident of this state. Simply because they feel they have enough qualified people to choose from. With that being said. I had a nice co-op nice one bedroom spacious with comfortable rent, subsidized by the state, a little tax break for me. NY offer offers a lot of incentives that other states don't. Such as; no sales tax on clothes up to over a little bit over $100 don't recall the exact amount. Here in NC I was shocked when I paid tax on the newspaper. They have all sorts of different taxes on items, and diff. types of taxes on food items that are confusing to me. Ultimately, I don't think it's any less here than anyplace else. In terms of real estate it doesn't matter to me. I am not buying a house. Thanks for your sympatheses (excuse the spelling). I appreciate it. Wish me luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 05:24 PM

Hey FP1978. I read your post and my suggestion is stay in DC. They seem to be offering you plenty. I too would move to the DC area if I had the opportunity especially since it's close to NY and I can get there by train. It's commutable and the jobs pay a lot better, but it's more expensive to live there. As far as apt., size goes. I don't care what the size is. Stay in DC get your Master and eventually get a bigger place. How is that for advice. I am scared stiff. If I had family or close friends that invited me to stay with them. I would leave in a NY minute but that's not the case.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:40 PM

The job market being tight because of so many people relocating I read a figure of 50,000 people. I since heard 5,000 per mth. I doubt they are all unemployed and all looking for the same type of work. A lot of it is also luck, being liked too. I guess the rest of the population isn't any smarter than I am as it's put here in finding a job first. I had interviews with Bank of America from NY with Bank of America in Charlotte and they took a candidate that was already here. If I were here then there is no guarantee it would have worked out any differently. Maybe I am lucky it didn't they had a lot of lay offs temps included so lots of people are unemployed not so much relocaters but people who have lost jobs due to banks who misuse funds. I heard the CEO; or COO not quite sure his title but a big shot put the bank for a financial spin not for the better and he is let go of. The poor man rec'd a severance pkg of $9 million with use of his assistant for the next 3 yrs., I often wonder and not to sound jealous but why are these men so over rated and overly paid? It seems ridiculous. They get contracts, sign on bonuses, raises stipulated in their contracts. That it makes me wonder what incentive do they have to actually work toward the success of the firm when they know that no matter what job they do good or bad they will be handsomely compensated. Of course, it's not nice to want him homeless and without income but the man ruined a firm. Wachovia might be bought by another bank, or some other type of firm. Leaving many employees stranded without employment and this is very sad. Families that have children to support, single parents too and they don't receive such a handsome compensation.
No wonder we are in a recession in a bad economy thank corporate america for the wrongful decisions these big shots make. They invest company funds poorly and eventually many are hurt by this. Meanwhile, he walks away smiling and set for life. I doubt with a severance pkg of $9 million that he will be looking for a job anytime soon. That man is set for life after ruining an organization, and leaving others stranded. Making living in a banking hub is not all that after all.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM

117 posts, read 385,810 times
Default Time Warner Cable

Try Time Warner Cable. They are hiring like crazy now!!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:08 PM

Default Hi Raleigh Bound

Speaking of which I went into an agency today and guess what? They have a temp spot part time and a direct hire spot or a temp to perm spot and they both pay well. I have a phone interview with them. They like how I can start immediately. I do too. Let's see how it goes. Wish me luck and send my way anything else you find out and thanks for thinking of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte