Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 07:08 AM

327 posts, read 1,192,263 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family is relocating to Charlotte and are seeking advice on several neighborhoods in the East/University area. We've previously lived in Charlotte and are familiar with this area, but have never owned here before, just rented.

The specifics are: we have 5 month old twin boys, are looking for a 4 bed/2.5 bath house on a lot larger than .25 acres and need to keep the price around $225k or less. So far, we've looked at houses in McCarron, Cheshunt, Wellington, Brownes Ferry and Withrow Downs. Withrow is on the high end of our price range, but we loved the neighborhood. McCarron was nice, but we didn't see anything that fit us. The others looked nice, but we got the sense that parts of those neighborhoods might be 'past their prime'. We want a safe neighborhood that we can stay in for a while (10+ years), so schools are also important.

I've read some threads on here that aren't too positive regarding north and east Charlotte that have me a little concerned. Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 07:13 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,930,822 times
Lol I just replied to you on the Withrow Downs thread. I love the area on Prosperity Church. I was always envious of friends growing up as they lived in an actual community. Wellington and Cheshunt are great. Withrow Downs seems to be very nice. I have spent a ton of time in my life in Wellington. There are some real nice homes there for sale... Let me know if you need anything.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:01 AM

Thanks QC Misfit.

Any thoughts on whether Cheshunt and Wellington will continue to remain good neighborhoods over time? Are the HOAs strong enough to keep them that way?

We're also interested in several homes in Bradfied Farms. Do you have any experience there?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:08 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,930,822 times
You never know what can happen in the future but Cheshunt/Wellington have been around for around 20 years and they seem to have a good track record. Its always nice to ride through and look at lawns etc to see which way a neighborhood maybe turning.

Bradfield Farms seems nice but I have only driven through it a few times and not recently. That's off Reedy Creek correcT?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:09 AM

Yes, Reedy Creek runs through the neighborhood, east of I-485.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:14 AM

78 posts, read 232,667 times
We live off Prosperity Church Road. We love this area, been here 10 years. The one thing that bothers me is the speed on Prosperity Church Road. I have to make a U-turn, and when people are doing 50+ can be difficult at times. Other than that, there are grocery stores, drug stores, gas stations, restaurants, whether I turn right or left. Having young children you'll be glad to know that there is a new elementary school being built, so the overcrowding at Mallard Creek Elem won't be as bad. Mine are in HS now, but both went to Mallard Creek Elem when there were no trailers. A new middle school will open in 09. Good Luck

Old 05-16-2008, 11:33 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,609,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
Hi all,

The specifics are: we have 5 month old twin boys, are looking for a 4 bed/2.5 bath house on a lot larger than .25 acres and need to keep the price around $225k or less. So far, we've looked at houses in McCarron, Cheshunt, Wellington, Brownes Ferry and Withrow Downs. Withrow is on the high end of our price range, but we loved the neighborhood.

Personally, I like Brownes Ferry, Chesthunt, and Davis Lake. You may want to look in Highland Creek, Brookstone and Chatham also. Chatham has newer homes.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,131 times
We have lived in Withrow Downs since 1996 (we moved in when our twins were 7 wks old, now 13 yrs old). We love the neighborhood for its well stablished feel and larger lots. It has a swimming pool, a strong HOA, and great sense of community. About 4 yrs ago a developer built homes in much smaller lots right next to our community and called Withdrow Downs II; that community has its own swimm club and separate HOA. The neighborhood will be served by a brand new elementary school (Salome Church Rd Elementary) just one mile away and opening next year.
To be fair, I also have to tell you about the disadvantages of the community: race week! - Traffic increases during the two big races in May and October, but it is really not as bad as it sounds; you just have to plan to stay at home for a few hours before the race starts. The noise is not bad! It depends on the wind (sometimes you don't hear it at all). There is also an increase of traffic during concerts at the Pavillion, but again, it is not horrible.
These few events don't trouble us when we think about the possibility of living in higher traffic areas, such as Properity Rd. We have been very lucky not to have been affected by out of control or very fast developing of the area.
Feel free contact me if you would like to come and visit the neighborhood. I know about a few homes that are reasonable priced (I am not an agent, just a neighbor!): [EMAIL="MarthaWittek@Hotmail.com"]MarthaWittek@Hotmail.com[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte