Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 08:37 AM

13 posts, read 17,084 times

Advertisements

@getatag yes ..I noticed it too..that the price range I'm looking is the hotspot ..Unfortunately I'm stuck in that range to account for Appraisal coming in low and also offering over asking price...I did think about going above 700 ..but I'm afraid I'm might run into Appraisal issues and overbidding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 09:30 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star225 View Post
@getatag yes ..I noticed it too..that the price range I'm looking is the hotspot ..Unfortunately I'm stuck in that range to account for Appraisal coming in low and also offering over asking price...I did think about going above 700 ..but I'm afraid I'm might run into Appraisal issues and overbidding
From my limited view of the market around Union County, I haven't seen much overbidding in the 800K and up range lately (last month or two). I've seen two homes sell (one for 900 and the other for 1.1mil) just recently and both were slightly under asking price. One closed quickly so I don't believe the appraisal had a bearing on the closing.

Good luck!

Old 09-24-2021, 07:21 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,417,250 times
If you are moving to union county avoid near by places zoned for hog farms...you never can be sure

Old 09-25-2021, 07:16 AM

While big corporate hog farms (and turkey farms) are on the decrease in Union county, small boutique farms, that raise a variety of livestock in grain feed, hormone free facilities are on the rise.
A related article is of interest to see which farmers collect the largest federal subsidies:

https://farm.ewg.org/top_recips.php?...,NorthCarolina

Getting back to Mr78609's statement, yes, you do have to check which way the wind is blowing before settling in the rural sections of UC, for more than just a hog farm..... there are water treatment odors in limited areas, and also SC paper mill smells that occasionally drift over small portions of UC.

I would guess this could be a general warning for purchasing land anywhere, not just Union County, do your homework.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:52 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
The OP has obviously been pointed to the typical UC areas/school clusters... I wouldn't put livestock farms as a serious concern at all, yet it gets raised here while nobody specifically mentions that OP's #1 choice so far Quellin has a water treatment plant literally across the street.

I'd stick with tag's "do your homework"... it's as true now as it has always been.

OP - my advice is to decide what is "best" to you. You ran the gambit on your list of neighborhoods, but they are mostly Cuthbertson... Demere sticks outs because it is out there down New Town and vinyl siding I believe... if you're OK with being further out and not brick, it is your best chance to find something in your price range... as you move West and North in UC, the prices are very high... South and East can provide better value. Think like Indian Trail and Parkwood. I personally would stick with Weddington schools if I could, but there is always some risk there. Plenty to read about UC redistricting...

Get a good local agent to help you... interview multiple if you have to before you sign an agreement. Keep doing your own homework.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:31 AM

Yes I agree on live stock farms & water plants ..but again odors can go for miles either way based on wind direction.
I started with couple of neighborhoods based on availability and my agent ..my search has expanded from the time I started.
And school rezoning is always an issue ..inventory is down for now with most of them coming soon.
The tips have been great here ...but again learning new stuff every time I see ...definately have to do homework before and after
like "getatag" said my price point being in the hotspot is the major concern ...will keep looking

Old 10-06-2021, 06:47 PM

update...still looking ...made some offers over listing price but still lost ...from other parties...any thoughts on Millbridge?

Old 10-07-2021, 05:45 AM

Quote:
update...still looking ...made some offers over listing price but still lost ...from other parties...any thoughts on Millbridge?
Millbridge is big, from up near the shooting range on Kennsington down to the SC line and all the way around behind the elementary school over to Waxhaw-Marvin road and also over to HQ 75 SW of Waxhaw. I haven't been through there since most of the new section was built over toward Waxhaw-Marvin Rd., but I always thought it was well kept and the common areas were nice. I've know a few people that lived there.
Back then the school board was thinking of splitting the neighborhood between two school zones and that was the only part they were concerned about, but generally happy with the neighborhood.

I never heard them complain of the sewer plant smell, but you never know. If It was me, I'd go through on weekdays and weekends. The shooting range is most active on weekends and the weather would play a part in when the plant may produce a smell.
Take a look from the map at the various locations in Millbridge, my choice might be the area of Millbridge Parkway over toward HWY 75 SW of Waxhaw.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:21 AM

751 posts, read 934,282 times
Quote:
I had a friend that put in 14 offers in Virginia until they had one accepted a few months back. Keep trying and it'll eventually come through for you.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:42 AM

335 posts, read 427,938 times
Quote:
Just kind of curious if you're being aggressive with your due diligence payments? I am not saying this is feasible for everyone, but just a thought. I have had a lot of success with my buyers by not putting any earnest money down at all and instead putting in a significant due diligence deposit, I'm talking like $40-80k (as long as the home is in great shape and we feel comfortable and confident nothing will scare us out of the purchase)...increasing the due diligence is working wonders for my clients and that money is going back towards their down payment at closing. Sellers are almost as interested in high due diligence to show that you're invested as they are in high prices. I've undercut some higher offers by being aggressive with due diligence numbers. May be worth considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte