U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 11:53 AM

19,822 posts, read 56,000,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sunny, ......
As for roses, the main thing to remember is to get them in a sunny spot; have some rose powder on hand for fungus and black spot (this is common and can easily be controlled); and choose something that is hardy and disease resistant. Then you do need to cut them back - some people say don't cut them back til around Feb here - others cut back in the Fall and just mulch well. The fun things about roses is you can get all sorts of colors, but also - scents. .....
Don't be afraid of roses - get one at Lowes that is hardy and disease resistant. If you want more like bushes that spread - I can recommend "Iceberg." If you like to cut your roses and you like pink, my Queen Elizabeths seem to do well. I used to have a whole bed of Peace roses - they are beautiful - but that was in KS and I have not started a bed of those here. If you like red, I have been growing Mr. Lincolns for over 30 years - a nice deep rose that seems to be hardy (for me, anyway). Mr. Lincoln was my first rose plant. So any of those have done well for me in the past.

I have successfully grown Mr. Lincoln in both New Orleans and Salt Lake City. Now, that is one hardy and adaptable rose! There are a number of catalogs from rose growers, like Heirloom Roses, that have pictures and good descriptions. I have ordered a lot of roses and been very pleased with them. Many are grown on their own root stock, which I think is better; they arrive as small plants but by the next year, they are big. There are roses that are specifically grown for cold climates (say, Canada) and many that have extremely fragrant blooms. The descriptions tell you how strong the fragrance is and whether it is "old rose" or "spice" or "lemony." A shrub rose will bloom all season, which I like. Iceberg is known to take over whole areas of the yard, it is so prolific. PS I like to use a systemic food/insecticide/fungicide on my roses.
Attached Thumbnails
Charlotte: Show us your flowers!!!-nov-2007-roses-yard-2.jpg  

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-18-2008 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 12:00 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
After I was done cutting the grass this morning, I figured I'd take a shot of the roses and daylilies, since they're currently going to town.
I LOVE this pic! Your neighborhood looks so cute

I'm heading out now to remove everything from my screen porch to wash it all down and get rid of the last of the pollen. Maybe I'll post a pic later of my clean porch

Old 05-18-2008, 12:12 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I LOVE this pic! Your neighborhood looks so cute

I'm heading out now to remove everything from my screen porch to wash it all down and get rid of the last of the pollen. Maybe I'll post a pic later of my clean porch
How funny, Loves! I just cleaned my back deck off - and washed the doors - for the same reason - get the pollen off!!! Came in for a break and to see what the rest of you all are doing . . . then back outside to clean off lawn furniture - and wash the pollen off my glass top table. It is GROSS right now!!!!

SUPERK: Thanks for sharing your lovely view!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:15 PM

SBelle! Those roses are gorgeous!! Do I spy a peace rose in that bouquet???? How beautiful . . . thank you for sharing it w/ us . . .

Old 05-18-2008, 12:16 PM

21,982 posts, read 27,263,822 times
Quote:
SOUTHBOUND: Thank you for the lovely butterfly and mimosa! I have never successfully grown mimosa; however, my g/mother had several of them on her property in Iredell Co. - and they were mature by the time I was born. So obviously they grow here.
You're welcome Ani. I went though some pictures & found some more from last year that I took, knowing that I was going to be selling. I'm waiting for the 2nd round of blooms to open on the roses. I was going to take pictures, but the rains knocked them apart.

I have 2 moss roses & several other antique roses. There's also a short hedge of "the Fairy", which is popular in this area. That only took 5 plants. The realtor wants pictures too. I could post a picture of my crepe myrtle in bloom last year, but here we grow them as multi-trunk trees or large shrubs, so it would have a different look than what you're used to seeing.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're welcome Ani. I went though some pictures & found some more from last year that I took, knowing that I was going to be selling. I'm waiting for the 2nd round of blooms to open on the roses. I was going to take pictures, but the rains knocked them apart.

I have 2 moss roses & several other antique roses. There's also a short hedge of "the Fairy", which is popular in this area. That only took 5 plants. The realtor wants pictures too. I could post a picture of my crepe myrtle in bloom last year, but here we grow them as multi-trunk trees or large shrubs, so it would have a different look than what you're used to seeing.
I would love to see the differences in the crepe myrtles. I wonder if they are that different - ours are like multi-trunk trees here in my neighborhood - would love to see yours and compare.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Looking at all of your beautiful flowers is making me get excited about starting my new garden in my new house. We won't be moving in until late August, early September. Any ideas where to start. I will be starting from scratch.
ssd3, when the ground is soft, but not wet, dig away, so you will be doing that sort of thing in spring & fall. I posted a couple of links that should help. I use compost to break up the clay here. My parents used topsoil. I read in some gardening books to use compost & I found that it works better.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have successfully grown Mr. Lincoln in both New Orleans and Salt Lake City. Now, that is one hardy and adaptable rose! There are a number of catalogs from rose growers, like Heirloom Roses, that have pictures and good descriptions. I have ordered a lot of roses and been very pleased with them. Many are grown on their own root stock, which I think is better; they arrive as small plants but by the next year, they are big. There are roses that are specifically grown for cold climates (say, Canada) and many that have extremely fragrant blooms. The descriptions tell you how strong the fragrance is and whether it is "old rose" or "spice" or "lemony." A shrub rose will bloom all season, which I like. Iceberg is known to take over whole areas of the yard, it is so prolific. PS I like to use a systemic food/insecticide/fungicide on my roses.
I have also ordered from Heirloom Roses & another company that went out of business.

A friend of a friend was head rosarian for a big botanical garden in Philly (Morris Arboretum) & wrote a book. She told me that if the rose is grafted, plant the graft underground. That way, the rose that you bought will form its own roots. I had a problem with a moss rose last year, but it's back, because I did that. The only one that I had planted before her advice, has branches from the rootstock & the rose that I bought.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I would love to see the differences in the crepe myrtles. I wonder if they are that different - ours are like multi-trunk trees here in my neighborhood - would love to see yours and compare.
OK, Ani, here's mine. It's at least as tall as my house. I bought it, mail order, from Wayside Gardens in SC. There's a huge Japanese pine in the back, with wild grapes growing though it. The birds love it in the fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Charlotte: Show us your flowers!!!-my-crepe-myrtle.jpg  

Old 05-18-2008, 01:11 PM

SOUTHBOUND - that is almost exactly like the one in my front yard. Now my neighbor's would look at yours, except all the lower limbs would be removed. Mine was damaged and so is growing out more like a "bush" and I don't know that I can get it to return to a new form. I will take a pic of my neighbor's. What I do w/ crepe myrtles and hollies is the same thing - I purposely prune them to show the "trunks." I will go outside and take a picture and see if I can get it to upload here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or