U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:39 PM

21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
SOUTHBOUND - that is almost exactly like the one in my front yard. Now my neighbor's would look at yours, except all the lower limbs would be removed. Mine was damaged and so is growing out more like a "bush" and I don't know that I can get it to return to a new form. I will take a pic of my neighbor's. What I do w/ crepe myrtles and hollies is the same thing - I purposely prune them to show the "trunks." I will go outside and take a picture and see if I can get it to upload here.
LOL, Ani, when I planted it, I was told that if I pruned it to be a multitrunk tree & it was damaged, it would end up as a bush, so I just let it be. Actually, when they're in full bloom, when they are bushes, they're more impressive than the multitrunk trees. People grow them both ways, here.

I've taken more pictures of the crepe myrtle than anything else. People in other parts of the country get confused when I say I have a crepe myrtle. Most people don't realize that part of NJ has a southern climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 05:07 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,586,248 times
Well, here's what I have so far...petunias in pots at the entrance, blanket flowers, Indian Carpet Sweet William and Salvia Blue Hill on the flower beds, and white petunias with yellow Gerbera daisies in window planter stands. I also started an herb garden in planter boxes and planted two cherry tomato plants on the ground at the side of the house. Hubby gets a kick out of "harvesting" sweet basil, sage and thyme and is having fun concocting various combinations to use with grilled tuna and mahi-mahi this weekend. I bought some cilantro seeds and put them in two small pots. It said it will take about 2-3 weeks for the seeds to germinate. I am looking forward to making fresh salsa for dip with margaritas! I finally was able to put in the two miniature roses I got for Mother's Day into the ground. Hopefully, they all make it.
Charlotte: Show us your flowers!!!-edith-003.jpg

Charlotte: Show us your flowers!!!-edith-004.jpg

Charlotte: Show us your flowers!!!-edith-005.jpg

Old 05-18-2008, 05:50 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Well, alright Miss Bibit! I knew you had something good going on at your house!!! I am way behind, I think. I still have stuff that hasn't germinated . . . Your Indian blankets/carpets are so pretty! And Gerbera daisies . . . love those. My mint looks puny!!! Makes me upset cause I can't fix my mint juleps until I get a nice stand of mint in!!! Whoever heard of mint that didn't do well??? How odd is that???? And my tomatoes look kind of wimpy, too! I am so surprised. I believe DH's theory that the lawn guys sprayed weed killer accidentally on my mint and tomatoes might be right.

That is a great idea to use plant boxes for herbs.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-18-2008 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 05-18-2008, 05:58 PM

Yes Ani, I've never heard of mint failing! I've been trying to kill them in CT since the prior owner planted them in a compost pit! There is a reason why it needs to be contained. As far as the gerberas were concerned, I thought they were failing this morning. I gave them a good dose of water and they are turgid yet again! My first time with these! Those window stands were a good deal at Lowes for $25 each. My neighbor had black ones from Wilson's but I could not see spending $46 for each. I will probably get those basket hangers you plant on the ground but I'm not sure they will withstand these blustery winds. I need something for my backyard.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Yes Ani, I've never heard of mint failing! I've been trying to kill them in CT since the prior owner planted them in a compost pit! There is a reason why it needs to be contained. As far as the gerberas were concerned, I thought they were failing this morning. I gave them a good dose of water and they are turgid yet again! My first time with these! Those window stands were a good deal at Lowes for $25 each. My neighbor had black ones from Wilson's but I could not see spending $46 for each. I will probably get those basket hangers you plant on the ground but I'm not sure they will withstand these blustery winds. I need something for my backyard.
bibit, I have grown Gerberas for at least 10 years. I found that, for whatever reason, I had to water them constantly in containers, but they don't require much watering in the ground.

I know that that sounds crazy. One year I had an extremely pretty one that I decided I would put in a container & take it inside in November to overwinter. I got so sick of watering it that I just put it in the ground with the rest.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:47 PM

Southbound - Thank YOU for that tip! How much is often? Right now there is that moss and I swear all the water goes through it! I made sure to put some gravel underneath the garden soil when I planted it. Perhaps like you, I will later put them on the ground, but I thought they were annuals? I don't feel it's worth the effort of the dig to put annuals on the ground, hence all these pots...much easier to pour soil then take it out, IMO!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Southbound - Thank YOU for that tip! How much is often? Right now there is that moss and I swear all the water goes through it! I made sure to put some gravel underneath the garden soil when I planted it. Perhaps like you, I will later put them on the ground, but I thought they were annuals? I don't feel it's worth the effort of the dig to put annuals on the ground, hence all these pots...much easier to pour soil then take it out, IMO!
bibit, gerberas are tender perenials. I've had them overwinter outside, a couple of times.

My expeience with them is that they will take the same abuse of lack of water, in the ground, that geraniums & begonias will take, when there are watering restrictions. This flies in the face of what you will see in the official write-ups online.

The gerbera that I tried to keep in a pot was watered when I got up, a couple of times before going to work (2nd shft) and again,as soon as I got home from work at midnight. Each time the plant was limp. At the same time, the gerberas in the ground were happy to get water occasionally. The plant stayed in the pot until I had time to plant it.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:37 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
If anyone has pictures of their tomatoes, I would love to see them. My plants look really pitiful and I can't figure out what the problem is. I would like to see anyone else's and how vigorous they look at this point - so I can compare. Mine have been in the ground three weeks and just don't look very vigorous.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-19-2008 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-25-2008, 11:11 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It's Friday! That means many of us here in the piedmont will be out in our yards and gardens. So how about grabbing some pictures to show us what is growing in your garden!!!

Doesn't matter whether it is a bush or a flower . . . just show us what is going on in your part of the Charlotte metro region.

Now don't be shy!!! Let's see what you have around your house (or neighborhood)

These are my first yellow roses of the season.

Ani, here is y yellow rose:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll6/bmattingly38/IMG_6176.jpg (broken link)

I don't think it's the same rose as yours. From the number of blooms that you have in your vase, I can tell you that mine is nowhere nearly as prolific. I'd love to have one that blooms like yours.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:15 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,548,044 times
My husband and I went to the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden last week and it was beautiful. I imagine that the iris should be out this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or