U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:18 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times

Advertisements

Hey, Barb! Your rose is LOVELY!!!!

Well, DH told me this week (and I meant to come back here and post this info) that the rose is NOT El Dorado, but rather Golden Showers, wh/ is a climber. We had El Dorado in Kansas so I got mixed up. However, the production has really slowed down on the two plants. I guess something was "just right" at the first of May when I gathered my first big vase!!!

Your rose is gorgeous! I rarely get enuff roses at one time to do a big vase - most of mine get enjoyed in a bud vase!!

Keep posting those garden pix, Barb! Love to see what you are doing . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 12:08 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,794,306 times
Such beautiful flowers, especially the roses!! Lots of "Green Thumbs" out there, too!

I'm way behind on gardening this year...haven't planted anything new & have only 1 pot in front. My roses have doubled in size this year, I have 6 of them, all purchased from Jackson & Perkins (LOVE J&P!!). I have JFK, Bella Roma, Melody Perfume, Vetran's Honor, Pope John Paul & Our Lady of Guadalupe. I have noticed that some of my leaves are yellow with black spots (we have treated for BS Disease) & some of the roses (especially the white ones) look "dried out"...the petals have brownish edges & are dry.

If we do anymore planting this year, it'll be in the fall.

BxRosie

Old 05-25-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Such beautiful flowers, especially the roses!! Lots of "Green Thumbs" out there, too!

I'm way behind on gardening this year...haven't planted anything new & have only 1 pot in front. My roses have doubled in size this year, I have 6 of them, all purchased from Jackson & Perkins (LOVE J&P!!). I have JFK, Bella Roma, Melody Perfume, Vetran's Honor, Pope John Paul & Our Lady of Guadalupe. I have noticed that some of my leaves are yellow with black spots (we have treated for BS Disease) & some of the roses (especially the white ones) look "dried out"...the petals have brownish edges & are dry.

If we do anymore planting this year, it'll be in the fall.

BxRosie
Some of my white icebergs have had that same "dried out" look. I used to have a Lady of Guadalupe - love that color!!! I have a JFK but he has never done all that well . . . hangs in there and that is about it. I have him next to Mr. Lincoln, and Mr. Lincoln keeps plugging along - very healthy plant.

I want another Princess Diana. I am keeping my eye out for one on sale locally. Would pick up another Peace, too, if I found it marked down. I am the Queen of mark-downs, LOL!!!

If you wait til this Fall to get some more roses, maybe you can find some on sale.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:44 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,794,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Some of my white icebergs have had that same "dried out" look. I used to have a Lady of Guadalupe - love that color!!! I have a JFK but he has never done all that well . . . hangs in there and that is about it. I have him next to Mr. Lincoln, and Mr. Lincoln keeps plugging along - very healthy plant.

I want another Princess Diana. I am keeping my eye out for one on sale locally. Would pick up another Peace, too, if I found it marked down. I am the Queen of mark-downs, LOL!!!

If you wait til this Fall to get some more roses, maybe you can find some on sale.
My L of G is still really small, but at least it's got alot more flowers this year. All of the roses were planted last spring as bare-root plants.

I had both the Peace & Princess Dianna, along with Rio Samba, Sterling Silver & a yellow rose (can't remember the name) back in NY, all by J&P Also had a really old Lilac tree, forsythia & the HUGEST hostas I have ever seen! They were solid green & green/white striped with with & lavendar flowers (got the hostas from J&P, too). The flowers were the size of tulips on stems that rose 4' tall ...beautiful. They looked like bushes. The only thing I'm sad about leaving behind was a spruce tree that my son planted when he was 2. If I could have dug it up & taken it with me, I would have.

BxRosie

Old 05-25-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
My L of G is still really small, but at least it's got alot more flowers this year. All of the roses were planted last spring as bare-root plants.

I had both the Peace & Princess Dianna, along with Rio Samba, Sterling Silver & a yellow rose (can't remember the name) back in NY, all by J&P Also had a really old Lilac tree, forsythia & the HUGEST hostas I have ever seen! They were solid green & green/white striped with with & lavendar flowers (got the hostas from J&P, too). The flowers were the size of tulips on stems that rose 4' tall ...beautiful. They looked like bushes. The only thing I'm sad about leaving behind was a spruce tree that my son planted when he was 2. If I could have dug it up & taken it with me, I would have.

BxRosie
Poor BxRosie! I know exactly what you mean about those sentimental items we have had to leave behind. But it will always be a precious memory.

I had a Sterling die on me here! And that is one of my favorites!!!! I am going to try it again. What went wrong - I have no clue. Just was dead the next Spring, yet mine had survived year after year thru/ harsh KS winters. So that was a shock. I get my J&P's at Lowes. I have not ordered one directly from them (J&P) since moving here. I have typically had wonderful success w/ their stock.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:17 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,549,559 times
ANI, there's a rose sale going on right now.

BxRosie, I too feel for you. Whenever I lose a plant it's almost like a death in the family. Luckily, many of mine are in large pots (my husband would erase the word "luckily") and so we've been able to lug them around the country. We have oNe grapefruit tree that my then 3 year-old son planted in Ithaca, NY 35 years ago. We've hardened it off and still have it on the deck where it spends the entire year. No grapefruits so far, however.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
ANI, there's a rose sale going on right now.

BxRosie, I too feel for you. Whenever I lose a plant it's almost like a death in the family. Luckily, many of mine are in large pots (my husband would erase the word "luckily") and so we've been able to lug them around the country. We have oNe grapefruit tree that my then 3 year-old son planted in Ithaca, NY 35 years ago. We've hardened it off and still have it on the deck where it spends the entire year. No grapefruits so far, however.
Thank you, Barb! I will have to go check things out . . . DH wants to go by Lowes so maybe we can swing by and see if I can round up a bargain or two!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,678,820 times
Anifani, I cut and pasted this from the garden section.....

Here's my first attempt at adding pics.....

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8garden006.jpg - broken link)

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8garden008.jpg - broken link)

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8garden009.jpg - broken link)

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8garden010.jpg - broken link)

If your facing the bales, I have green beans in the front left and cukes in the front right. I have tomatoes in the back left and right (two different varieties)

I haven't figured out how to actually post the pics.....just provide the links...

W/my ancient camera (1.3 megapixels) this was the best I can do.....

Just an FYI, from the head on shot, the bales may look a little "ratty" however they don't...just didn't photograph well....

Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Anifani, I cut and pasted this from the garden section.....

Here's my first attempt at adding pics.....

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8garden006.jpg - broken link)

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8garden008.jpg - broken link)

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8garden009.jpg - broken link)

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8garden010.jpg - broken link)

If your facing the bales, I have green beans in the front left and cukes in the front right. I have tomatoes in the back left and right (two different varieties)

I haven't figured out how to actually post the pics.....just provide the links...

W/my ancient camera (1.3 megapixels) this was the best I can do.....

Just an FYI, from the head on shot, the bales may look a little "ratty" however they don't...just didn't photograph well....
Oh dear. On my computer the links just pull up Photobucket's main page. It took me a while to figure out how to post those pix and upload them here. If you click on a picture, it should have code down below it. You copy the code and paste it here. Maybe someone else can explain it better than me. We wanna see your pix!!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,549,559 times
I had the same problem with your links as did Ani. So I'm DM-ing you the instructions that a very kind person (Scirocco22) DM-ed me last week. Now I'm having a ball sending photos to everyone I know. Look for my DM - his instructions are idiot-proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or