Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

It's Friday! That means many of us here in the piedmont will be out in our yards and gardens. So how about grabbing some pictures to show us what is growing in your garden!!!

Doesn't matter whether it is a bush or a flower . . . just show us what is going on in your part of the Charlotte metro region.

Now don't be shy!!! Let's see what you have around your house (or neighborhood)

These are my first yellow roses of the season.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-16-2008 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 05:54 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It's Friday! That means many of us here in the piedmont will be out in our yards and gardens. So how about grabbing some pictures to show us what is growing in your garden!!!

Doesn't matter whether it is a bush or a flower . . . just show us what is going on in your part of the Charlotte metro region.

ani - I'm am so jealous of your beautiful roses! They are botanical masterpieces! Between painting and entertaining my sis and BIL, I'm so far behind in my gardening from where I was last year. I haven't even planted my seeds yet and I have to return to NJ on Sunday for the closing on my old house. I weeded all the areas around the house and as soon as I return, I will garden with a "vengence"! I'll have my "Super Zinnias" blooming by the end of June.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - I'm am so jealous of your beautiful roses! They are botanical masterpieces! Between painting and entertaining my sis and BIL, I'm so far behind in my gardening from where I was last year. I haven't even planted my seeds yet and I have to return to NJ on Sunday for the closing on my old house. I weeded all the areas around the house and as soon as I return, I will garden with a "vengence"! I'll have my "Super Zinnias" blooming by the end of June.
I cannot believe you have not been to garden! I know how you have looked forward to it this year!!! But I do know how it is when one has guests.

I am glad you are getting the house closed . . . even tho that will be a little trip "up North," LOL. Now don't you go back home and get all nostalgic on us!!!! But I think we have made a Southerner outta you now, so no fear of losing you at this point . . . Have a good trip, Em.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:12 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default Well we did a lot of work on ours this weekend...

but still waiting for sod from the builder!!! ha!

Anyways, does anyone know how to install or what type of hooks I need to buy in order to install flower boxes in my vinyl siding? I prefer not to drill but if we have to I guess we will!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
but still waiting for sod from the builder!!! ha!

Anyways, does anyone know how to install or what type of hooks I need to buy in order to install flower boxes in my vinyl siding? I prefer not to drill but if we have to I guess we will!
I would check w/ Home Depot or Lowe's. Their guys are very helpful. Or you might post a new thread asking that question.

Mj - get your camera and post some pix!!!!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:35 AM

148 posts, read 562,698 times
I love to garden. Is it easy to grow vegetables in ones yard? I am moving to Union County in July. May be too late this year but I love to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, peppers, etc. Not used to the clay. Do you have to put topsoil over it first?

Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Very pretty Ani-IF I ever get this house situation done, I'd take a trip to a Garden center and try my green thumb out. I can tell you that I wasn't very successful in the past though

Old 05-17-2008, 02:02 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad5117 View Post
I love to garden. Is it easy to grow vegetables in ones yard? I am moving to Union County in July. May be too late this year but I love to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, peppers, etc. Not used to the clay. Do you have to put topsoil over it first?
I've been gardening in clay & marl for years. I double-dug garden beds on my present property. It took 5 years, digging in the spring & fall. Don't even think of attempting to dig in July (unless you're fond of using a jack hammer)

Here's some information that might help

Improving Clay Soils - Fine Gardening Article

Clay Soil Gardening

I've grown tomatoes in clay, after the double digging and adding compost, & had them go over the top of a 5 foot tall fence & go down to the ground on the other side.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:08 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Beautiful roses, Ani

Old 05-17-2008, 03:20 PM

199 posts, read 958,068 times
Pics from 2 weeks ago...

Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	19871

Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	19872
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: