Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 13,194 times

Advertisements

Back in 2004, my wife and I moved to Charlotte (Huntersville) from NY, just to try something new...Niether of us had jobs when we moved there, but quickly found ourselves working in the restaurant industry until we could find a "career-oriented" profession....

My wife without college education was able to finally able to get into apartment leasing, while I struggled to find anything in my field that I had worked in/went to school for... I found work as a bartender by night and working in retail by day....

Finally I was offered a job in restaurant management with a reputable chain back in NY and with the idea of having a family (benefits, salary) etc..sent us packing back north....

We never wanted to really leave Charlotte, but now wonder if 2 1/2 years later managing a restaurant will allow me to find a job easier (working in Restaurant management) as that is what I've done for most my life....

I've tried to apply via monster and career builder and the few phone calls I've recieved all want to know when I would be moving to the area, before advancing the interviewing process, but I've been following the opinions stated on here and now that I have a child having a job is essential to any move...

I guess my question is how is the restaurant industry doing down there at the time when the economy hasn't been the greatest... Are restaurants still opening at a frantic pace or are you seeing alot of closings....Also, wondering if there is still continous building of apartment complexes, that perhaps my wife could get back into that with just 1+ year of experience...

After finding this forum, there is so much more that I want to experience in Charlotte, that I never new of when I lived there...but just hope that logistically the idea of living there and making a comfortable living is possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,270,225 times
I can speak mainly for the Lake Norman, Huntersville area.
You left right as soon as this area was peeking and let put it this way about 4 months it seems that I have a new restaurant to go check out.

The restaurant industry will do good for now in this area because it still growing so the need is there despite the economy and also less people are cooking at home than they use to.
I only know of two restaurants that have closed within this past year and basically for both the restaurants they was in a bad location.

This is the latest apartment complex that has open this past fall.
Colonial Properties Trust - Colonial Grand at Huntersville

Good luck getting interview process setup. One of the biggest challenges I see on this site is people with an out of state address and both fields you are looking into are generally posistions that the employer needs to fill quickly with the quickest method.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:38 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,800,514 times
There are a lot of new restaurants in Charlotte. Maybe Sunny has a link to a master list?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,270,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
There are a lot of new restaurants in Charlotte. Maybe Sunny has a link to a master list?
Charlotte Restaurant Guide. Local Restaurants in Charlotte Restaurant Guide, NC

Huntersville Restaurants: Read Huntersville Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte