Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 97,193 times

Advertisements

I understand Lake Park Christian Academy is now under the ownership of Central Church of God, does anyone have any experience this past year with the new change? How big is the school? Number of graduates, student ratio? Web site did not have this info. I was super impressed with Charlotte Christian, but it is very expensive. We are moving from Ohio and will be down sizing in order to send our son to Christian school, but Charlotte Christian was up there in price. Also, any feedback on Lake Park as a community. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 01:00 PM

396 posts, read 1,630,512 times
Being purchased by Central was a good thing for Lake Park. It will afford them the opportunity to expand quicker and offer extra programs that haven't been offerred until now. Their staff is excellent. I spent quite a few hours there when I was interviewing private schools last year. The students are great as well. Academically, I like their curriculum very much. Charlotte Christian did come out number one for me curriculum wise, but it is quite a bit more for tuition and Lake Park was a close enough 2nd that it didn't bother me and I saved $10K/year.
The community of Lake Park is very supportive of that little school and several families have re-located into the neighborhood to be closer to the school. I will tell you that the neighborhood is very ecclectic not only in architecture (that's my nice way of saying that some houses are pretty and some are ugly) but also in how they upkeep their homes. Some of the streets are beautiful and some....not. I suppose the same could hold true for any neighborhood. Just make sure you spend time really checking out your neighbors' houses. I love the community. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Thanks so much!! Any idea the number of kids in each class, the number of graduates. What about the sports progams?

Old 05-17-2008, 05:31 PM

396 posts, read 1,630,512 times
The numbers per class vary by age. For example; kindergarten last year they had a full group of 25 but 6th grade was small with 12. Not sure how many they graduated this year, but they did have a formal graduation ceremony in the new building. As for sports, I think this is one area that Central's influence will be great for. They will have the extra money and people to make the program happen. They do have a few sports teams and they compete with other private schools of the same size. Some of the teams are run by parents. However, sports clubs are very easy to get involved in out here in UC. My son played for three different leagues this year and not once for his school.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:43 PM
odu

40 posts, read 117,095 times
I can't speak to the school per say, but as a former member of Central (I've moved out of state) I can say that Central is a great church that I know will run the school well. I know when the announcement was made at Central that they bought the school, the phones at Lake Park were ringing off the hook. My newphews currently got to Back Creek Christian Academy and my sister is looking at houses over near Lake Park because she really wants her boys to go to that school. I know another family at Central that just closed on a house close to Lake Park to send their kids there. I also know that Central members get a discount as well, not sure how much.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:47 AM
ADR

171 posts, read 517,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
Being purchased by Central was a good thing for Lake Park. It will afford them the opportunity to expand quicker and offer extra programs that haven't been offerred until now. Their staff is excellent. I spent quite a few hours there when I was interviewing private schools last year. The students are great as well. Academically, I like their curriculum very much. Charlotte Christian did come out number one for me curriculum wise, but it is quite a bit more for tuition and Lake Park was a close enough 2nd that it didn't bother me and I saved $10K/year.
The community of Lake Park is very supportive of that little school and several families have re-located into the neighborhood to be closer to the school. I will tell you that the neighborhood is very ecclectic not only in architecture (that's my nice way of saying that some houses are pretty and some are ugly) but also in how they upkeep their homes. Some of the streets are beautiful and some....not. I suppose the same could hold true for any neighborhood. Just make sure you spend time really checking out your neighbors' houses. I love the community. Good luck.

Just curious-when you were doing your homework, how did Lake Park compare to Metrolina Christian Academy? I am in the area too and wonder how they stack up.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Default Lake Park Christian Academy

The web site I used to get basic information about the Christian schools is Private School Review - Profiles of USA Private Schools this site again only gave me the basics, but it was a great place to start my search. I do know that Metrolina Christian had more students enrolled than Lake Park Christian Academy. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte