Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 6,283 times

Advertisements

Concord is a great area, I had considered moving there myself. I'm originally from Charlotte and live north of Concord in Salisbury, a quaint, historic town. I've noticed the southern boundaries of Concord, closer to Charlotte changing over the last few years. Becoming less desirable in my opinion. When I moved to Salisbury from Florida in 2008, Concord Mills Mall was a pristine, very safe place to go. However, now the Concord Mills Mall area is having significant issues with crime/violence, shooting, and the mall itself has implemented a youth policy:
"Concord Mills will be implementing a Youth Supervision Policy. We are committed to providing a pleasant and family friendly shopping environment for all of our guests. All visitors under 18 must be accompanied at all times by a parent or adult, age 21 or older, after 3pm on Fridays and Saturdays.",

https://concordmillsyouthsupervision...om/alertbanner

If I were to move to Concord, I would move further up the I-85 corridor. Although I may get blasted for my opinion, I think given 5 -7 years, Concord will not be what it is now.

Better options in my opinion, are Harrisburg area, and Salisbury. JMHO.
If you want more honest info feel free to reach out! I am a realtor as well, full disclosure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 08:26 AM

56 posts, read 112,876 times
Default Hi carmady1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmady1 View Post
Concord is a great area, I had considered moving there myself. I'm originally from Charlotte and live north of Concord in Salisbury, a quaint, historic town. I've noticed the southern boundaries of Concord, closer to Charlotte changing over the last few years. Becoming less desirable in my opinion. When I moved to Salisbury from Florida in 2008, Concord Mills Mall was a pristine, very safe place to go. However, now the Concord Mills Mall area is having significant issues with crime/violence, shooting, and the mall itself has implemented a youth policy:
"Concord Mills will be implementing a Youth Supervision Policy. We are committed to providing a pleasant and family friendly shopping environment for all of our guests. All visitors under 18 must be accompanied at all times by a parent or adult, age 21 or older, after 3pm on Fridays and Saturdays.",

https://concordmillsyouthsupervision...om/alertbanner

If I were to move to Concord, I would move further up the I-85 corridor. Although I may get blasted for my opinion, I think given 5 -7 years, Concord will not be what it is now.

Better options in my opinion, are Harrisburg area, and Salisbury. JMHO.
If you want more honest info feel free to reach out! I am a realtor as well, full disclosure.
Thank you so much for the info! Where did you live in FL?

I work in social services & need to scope out the work situation also.

It's time for a change, ready to move away from FL, just trying to figure out where I would be happy living!

In 2000, I moved to Matthews & stayed with friends, but after a few months of jobhunting and feeling like Charlotte was way too large & busy, I moved back to FL!

The older I get, the more I miss having 4 seasons & the harder it is to handle this heat that lasts almost year-round! I know it gets hot in NC, also, but it certainly doesn't last almost all year! Not to mention the anxiety of hurricane season every year!

Old 11-14-2021, 10:38 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL13 View Post
I do miss the four seasons & am hoping I could adjust to the winter weather!
The weather here is *phenomenal* - it gets cold enough at night for you to enjoy and not miss the winter, but it then warms up midday, to the extent that you can carry on daily activities without having to deal with ice, snow, etc. It really is the very best compromise.

Quote:
I will be visiting the area around Christmas for 2 days & am wondering what areas to look at. I can usually get a feel by the "vibes" of an area whether I would like to live there so that's why I am planning the quick trip for now.
That's what I did. What drove you to Concord? I have passed through the area, although I am not too familiar with it. But what brought Concord to your attention?

What are you looking for in an area?

Be sure that you stay *far* away from the outlets when you visit.

Last edited by NDL; 11-14-2021 at 10:51 PM..

Old 11-14-2021, 10:47 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
In 2000, I moved to Matthews & stayed with friends, but after a few months of jobhunting and feeling like Charlotte was way too large & busy, I moved back to FL!
Red flag, in my opinion: the Concord area has gotten busy, and will only to continue to grow.

The problem with the CLT area is that it has gotten to be too popular too quickly, and as a result, many areas lost the characteristics that once made them desirable. Of course, all of this is predicated upon a person's tastes, etc.; some folks don't mind the loss of each town's former characteristics, and they embrace the new.

In other words: towns that were once sleepy, are now bustling; to one person, they appreciate the newfound dining variety that came with the bustling overhaul of the town; to another, they miss the camaraderie and slower pace of the town before it became popular.

Your best bet would be to give us your likes/dislikes, etc., so we can suggest other areas if need be.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:26 AM

78 posts, read 94,387 times
Where in FL are you coming from? Also do you need to work anywhere specific? Have kids in school?

We lived in Davidson for 15 years then moved to South Florida for two. Returned this past summer and are now living in Concord. So I could probably give you my take on things if I had some more information.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:20 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,627 times
Concord is a very nice area. As many people said, growing quickly, but most retail is confined to the Concord Mills area. Concord Mills will have a "fly-over bridge" completed by Thanksgiving, which should ease traffic congestion. Also , Derita road will be 4 lanes in 2022, major improvement.

If you have children going to public schools, stay out of Mecklenburg County. Concord is the county directly east of Mecklenburg, Cabarrus County, and they have much better schools.

Huntersville, Cornelius, are nice as well, but they are completely built out , and their schools are horrible.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:49 PM

56 posts, read 112,876 times
Hi Everyone, you are so kind in responding! I live in Melbourne, FL, work in social services, am 60+ with no children so I don't need info about schools. I will be working for awhile, so not retired....yet! I would love to work with ex-offenders or a responsible fatherhood program! My passions!

If you haven't heard of TRU Colors Brewery in Wilmington, please check them out! An awesome program/venture where rival gang members are working together to create better lives & reduce gun violence! Not only does the program create well-paying jobs but they teach social skills & living skills, like financial literacy, assistance with education & relationship skills and have created an awesome light beer! I was so impressed with this program that I looked into moving to Wilmington. Took a trip there in Sept & don't feel like I would like to live there, unfortunately!
Too bad because I have friends living in N. Myrtle Beach (tried to convince myself to move to that area but I just don't like it there! Nice place to visit, but....)

Again, I can get a gut feeling about living in an area when I visit & any time I have disregarded that feeling, I have regretted it! Thus, 3 "boomerang moves" years ago!

I have friends in Matthews and Harrisburg, but I don't like the idea of living in such a large city like Charlotte! I prefer smaller cities, but it has to be a place with job opportunities for me, so that rules out some smaller areas.

I am wondering about the adjustment of living in cold weather in the winter! I am originally from western NY but moved away a very long time ago & have lived in FL & the Bahamas ever since! But, I do miss the four seasons!

It is nice living in FL with no state income tax & no personal property tax but I am getting tired of the hot weather which is lasting almost all year!

The friends I mentioned above are life-long friends I grew up with so it would be nice to live closer to them. I also have elderly relatives still living in western NY so it would be nice to be a bit closer to them, for quick road trips if necessary!

I am planning to visit the Concord/Kannapolis area right after Christmas to see what my gut says!
It has been extremely helpful hearing from all of you! Thank you so much for being so kind & taking the time to reply!
I love hearing your opinions & feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte