U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Reputation: 39856

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampstar View Post
any updates or new thoughts on the Vineyards? Anybody live there?
Last time I was down that way there were fewer than 20 homes....not sure much is happening there these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2009, 12:24 AM
 
Location: El Charlotte
182 posts, read 379,820 times
Reputation: 141
I checked out the Vineyards on Lake Wylie (VLW) today with my wife. To those that live there I can certainly understand why you chose to buy in this development. However, my wife and I decided that VLW was not really for us. To those that live there, this post is not intended as an insult to you personally, it's just our observations.

The Drive: Exiting I-485 onto Wilkinson Blvd, welcome to trailer home central. We began to wonder if we got lost, where is this nice development amongst all these trailers? This was not a good first impression for us. Seriously, from I-485 all the way to the entrance of VLW, there is nothing but trailer homes looking very unkempt. Yikes.

The Entrance: Turn onto the entrance, we discovered an esthetically pleasing and well landscaped property. The agent was gone, so we drove around to get a "feel" for the place.

The Property: As we drove we noticed some large industrial type buildings, I assume these were the buildings of the previous owners (Duke Energy). It appears the builder is using this area as a storage/staging area for construction logistics. However, considering this land was re-zoned from industrial to residential, I would want full disclosure about the previous (Duke Energy) operations regarding environmental soil and water data, and if any, detection or remediation of the property. The flipside of the development is whether one chooses water view or on the hillside, the views are pretty good. Most developments don't have options like these, so that is a definite bonus! As we continued to drive, we noticed that most of the lots are empty, and due to all the rain this spring, all of the drainage ponds are quite full. But it seems the stormwater and erosion control measures are doing they're jobs. The streets and sidewalks look very good and the signage around is well marked, sometimes those items get lost in the details, but it's well done at VLW.

Waterview Townhomes: Since we had no agent, we meandered over to the waterview townhomes that are selling very well. There was one townhome left open and unfinished, so we stopped in to take a look. If you buy these townhomes, you're paying for the waterview. It's nice the builder left the trees at the water's edge. There are supposed to be 10 miles of trails on the property and part of those trails run along the shoreline behind the townhomes. Anyway, inside the townhome there are 2- car garages. Walk into the dining room on front and kitchen and living room towards the rear with vaulted ceilings. You will find the usual granite counter and a full GE kitchen package. Out back looking through trees, we saw the water view. Frenchdoors open to a small "arcadeck" (6x10) size? The master is down on this model and that is very good thinking for 2282 sq. ft. The master bath is also a nice size with a tub and separate tile shower and J&J sinks, and a spacious closet. These whole place is wired for everything and flush mounted speakers in the media area. Speaking of which, up a narrow flight of stairs that is where the media area is located. In addition the 2nd guest bedroom is a nice size with a balcony with the best water view, nice for guests! Although it's a nice place for a townhome, the asking price is $329,000. Again, you are paying for a waterview...

The Waterview: ok, it might ruffle some feathers but the waterview is very brown as water goes. This is brown and murky catfishing water, not like the rest of Lake Wylie or Lake Norman. Now to be completely fair, there has been a lot of rain with a lot of stormwater run off, so my observation is only based on one visit. Fair enough? In addition, the pool area is currently under construction, the water slides look like a lot of fun for kids, maybe even some adults, too! This pool area will be great for a family and for visiting guests.

Why we said no: Where the rubber meets the road. We would most likely spend $400ish on a home and the fact this development is surrounded by a plethora of trailer homes make purchasing here hard to swallow. This may sound pretentious, but we imagined inviting friends or family here and them driving through all the trailer homes is just plain embarassing. Honestly having a waterview here has a significant penalty, the drive through all the trailers. I can't speak to a finished product of the homes, as we did not have tour through a model, just an incomplete townhome. However, we felt $329,000 townhome with a waterview seemed quite high and materials were not as a higher quality for this price as we expected (doors, windows and carpets)

Ok, I really hope this post helps folks in which ever way you decide. I really wanted to put this out to the forum so folks can have straight talk, I'm not trying to sell to anybody! If you come to the Charlotte area, relax and take it in a weekend at a time! Good luck in your search.

Shamwow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 10:38 AM
 
1 posts, read 4,015 times
Reputation: 10
Default Shamwow!

Shamwow, the day you visited The Vineyards was after a solid week of abnormally heavy rain (I think the night before there was as much as 3 inches of rain in some areas). The lake is not usually as brown as you saw. Also, you should have used a sales agent because the townhomes you looked at are not merely water view. There will be docks built along the water by those townhomes as well as at the lake area by the pool and in a future development area for custom built homes. The pool you saw being developed is quite nice and more suitable for adults than most main neighborhood pools, but it will be the kids pool in the grand scheme of things. Inbetween the pool you saw and the docks on the lake, there will be a lazy river and a junior olympic lap pool with a beach entry. The Manor House will be in front of the pool you saw and that is a clubhouse will all the bells and whistles. Soccer fields, tennis courts, dog parks, sitting areas, fire pit by the main docks, fishing docks, playgrounds, etc will be built as well. You're $400,000 house you say you would need will actually be worth around $600,000 or more when the neighborhood is complete. Good luck in your search.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamwow! View Post
I checked out the Vineyards on Lake Wylie (VLW) today with my wife. To those that live there I can certainly understand why you chose to buy in this development. However, my wife and I decided that VLW was not really for us. To those that live there, this post is not intended as an insult to you personally, it's just our observations.

The Drive: Exiting I-485 onto Wilkinson Blvd, welcome to trailer home central. We began to wonder if we got lost, where is this nice development amongst all these trailers? This was not a good first impression for us. Seriously, from I-485 all the way to the entrance of VLW, there is nothing but trailer homes looking very unkempt. Yikes.

The Entrance: Turn onto the entrance, we discovered an esthetically pleasing and well landscaped property. The agent was gone, so we drove around to get a "feel" for the place.

The Property: As we drove we noticed some large industrial type buildings, I assume these were the buildings of the previous owners (Duke Energy). It appears the builder is using this area as a storage/staging area for construction logistics. However, considering this land was re-zoned from industrial to residential, I would want full disclosure about the previous (Duke Energy) operations regarding environmental soil and water data, and if any, detection or remediation of the property. The flipside of the development is whether one chooses water view or on the hillside, the views are pretty good. Most developments don't have options like these, so that is a definite bonus! As we continued to drive, we noticed that most of the lots are empty, and due to all the rain this spring, all of the drainage ponds are quite full. But it seems the stormwater and erosion control measures are doing they're jobs. The streets and sidewalks look very good and the signage around is well marked, sometimes those items get lost in the details, but it's well done at VLW.

Waterview Townhomes: Since we had no agent, we meandered over to the waterview townhomes that are selling very well. There was one townhome left open and unfinished, so we stopped in to take a look. If you buy these townhomes, you're paying for the waterview. It's nice the builder left the trees at the water's edge. There are supposed to be 10 miles of trails on the property and part of those trails run along the shoreline behind the townhomes. Anyway, inside the townhome there are 2- car garages. Walk into the dining room on front and kitchen and living room towards the rear with vaulted ceilings. You will find the usual granite counter and a full GE kitchen package. Out back looking through trees, we saw the water view. Frenchdoors open to a small "arcadeck" (6x10) size? The master is down on this model and that is very good thinking for 2282 sq. ft. The master bath is also a nice size with a tub and separate tile shower and J&J sinks, and a spacious closet. These whole place is wired for everything and flush mounted speakers in the media area. Speaking of which, up a narrow flight of stairs that is where the media area is located. In addition the 2nd guest bedroom is a nice size with a balcony with the best water view, nice for guests! Although it's a nice place for a townhome, the asking price is $329,000. Again, you are paying for a waterview...

The Waterview: ok, it might ruffle some feathers but the waterview is very brown as water goes. This is brown and murky catfishing water, not like the rest of Lake Wylie or Lake Norman. Now to be completely fair, there has been a lot of rain with a lot of stormwater run off, so my observation is only based on one visit. Fair enough? In addition, the pool area is currently under construction, the water slides look like a lot of fun for kids, maybe even some adults, too! This pool area will be great for a family and for visiting guests.

Why we said no: Where the rubber meets the road. We would most likely spend $400ish on a home and the fact this development is surrounded by a plethora of trailer homes make purchasing here hard to swallow. This may sound pretentious, but we imagined inviting friends or family here and them driving through all the trailer homes is just plain embarassing. Honestly having a waterview here has a significant penalty, the drive through all the trailers. I can't speak to a finished product of the homes, as we did not have tour through a model, just an incomplete townhome. However, we felt $329,000 townhome with a waterview seemed quite high and materials were not as a higher quality for this price as we expected (doors, windows and carpets)

Ok, I really hope this post helps folks in which ever way you decide. I really wanted to put this out to the forum so folks can have straight talk, I'm not trying to sell to anybody! If you come to the Charlotte area, relax and take it in a weekend at a time! Good luck in your search.

Shamwow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 PM
 
Location: El Charlotte
182 posts, read 379,820 times
Reputation: 141
Green Mountains, I hear what you're saying, but the trailers are just too much. Again, that was a primary reason why we said no. Regardless of sales agents and model homes, it's just has that trailer trash vibe prior to entering the community. Hopefully the property will appreciate like you hope it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 04:45 PM
 
386 posts, read 1,167,758 times
Reputation: 312
HI - do you still live in the Vineyards? I would love to know if you are still enjoying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenParm View Post
Look people, DR Horton is a great builder and of course there is going to be an issue here or there where somebody gets upset and is "wronged." First off, every place I look up for reviews (for any type of place/business/vacation spot) is loaded with good and bad reviews. We don't know the competency of the people even writing this garbage. That being said, I purchased in The Vineyards and can't be more pleased. The quality of house, the price, and the amenities are FAR better than anything you can find anywhere in Charlotte or the surrounding areas. Trust me, I looked. The only way to find something better is to drop a ton of money. If anyone has specific questions about the community, I'd be more than glad to answer. PretentiousJ, not sure what your problem is, but the water looks great. I did think that the houses where you live were lacking and maybe that's your beef because you thought you were getting something good until The Vineyards came along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 06:23 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 8,930,217 times
Reputation: 1586
Goodness. I looked this place up since this topic moved up and it's hard to imagine they call that little tributary lake front. I agree with the poster above this is more like swamp land and it's practically impossible to boat in as this area is full of shoals, shallow water and many places you can get out of the boat and walk around in. That is if you can stand the junk in water in there. There is also a gypsy/redneck boat landing near there on the other side of the river. You get the luxury of highly intoxicated individuals riding in their hooptie boats that leak oil and gas like an middle eastern oil well. Good though if you like collecting beer cans for recycling purposes. Last time I boated there I had to pull the water filters and flush my engines to get the junk out of them.

The other big problems I have with it is that it is between Charlotte Douglas Airport, the coal fired Allen steam plant and numerous industrial plants on the Gaston side that dump crap into the water. It kinda stinks there all the time. With all this going on, you probably won't want to take many deep breaths of air. Oh and about the airport, maybe people that think about buying there forget they are building a new runway at the airport. I estimate the blast zone from the jumbos taking off to be about 5000 ft from this neighborhood. Those DR Horton homes, are going to be rocking and rolling depending upon the pilot.

Last edited by lumbollo; 09-14-2009 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Reputation: 39856
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMountains View Post
Shamwow, the day you visited The Vineyards was after a solid week of abnormally heavy rain (I think the night before there was as much as 3 inches of rain in some areas). The lake is not usually as brown as you saw. Also, you should have used a sales agent because the townhomes you looked at are not merely water view. There will be docks built along the water by those townhomes as well as at the lake area by the pool and in a future development area for custom built homes. The pool you saw being developed is quite nice and more suitable for adults than most main neighborhood pools, but it will be the kids pool in the grand scheme of things. Inbetween the pool you saw and the docks on the lake, there will be a lazy river and a junior olympic lap pool with a beach entry. The Manor House will be in front of the pool you saw and that is a clubhouse will all the bells and whistles. Soccer fields, tennis courts, dog parks, sitting areas, fire pit by the main docks, fishing docks, playgrounds, etc will be built as well. You're $400,000 house you say you would need will actually be worth around $600,000 or more when the neighborhood is complete. Good luck in your search.
For your sake I hope it does get finished, but the brakes were applied to this project at least 12 months ago - not sure it's ever going to be completed now. But the homes that are there are nice looking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM
 
319 posts, read 501,802 times
Reputation: 412
why was it halted? do you know? I just passed by this today on my way from our Gaston office and it looks like a nice neighborhood. The prices on some of the finished homes aren't too bad either.

I must admit the water was just as murky as described but I don't think that's much of a bother for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 PM
 
2,341 posts, read 4,048,227 times
Reputation: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
why was it halted? do you know? I just passed by this today on my way from our Gaston office and it looks like a nice neighborhood. The prices on some of the finished homes aren't too bad either.

I must admit the water was just as murky as described but I don't think that's much of a bother for me

I don't think the project is halted. They are still building there. I was there in September. DR Horton has moved their satelite office to the Vineyard location.

I loved the floor plan of one of the models we were interested in but not crazy about the entrance to the development. For that reason alone, we crossed it off our list. O hope they do finish what they plan though. It would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM
 
319 posts, read 501,802 times
Reputation: 412
When you talk of not liking the entrance is it because of the mobile homes across the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top