Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 02:57 PM

436 posts, read 442,170 times

Advertisements

We have an issue with cats from the next housing development coming over to mine and killing ducks, frogs and other small animals that we enjoy having around. Phone calls to their HOA haven't helped. Anyone with any suggestions to keep the cats out? Killing them isn't a consideration at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 03:33 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,917,643 times
Go buy a cat trap, trap them, and take them to animal control. I am sure Googling "getting rid of stray cats'" will return some good alternatives.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:54 PM

436 posts, read 442,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Go buy a cat trap, trap them, and take them to animal control. I am sure Googling "getting rid of stray cats'" will return some good alternatives.
Thank you. I will try to find one.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:16 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,334,198 times
Where do you live?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:39 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,733,236 times
There are no leash laws on cats in Mecklenburg county. I would not trap them.

I had a similar problem. I bought two motion activated sprinklers and it worked like a charm. They avoid my yard now.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:24 PM

385 posts, read 724,829 times
I have a similar issue. We keep having a stray cat get all over our patio furniture... dirt, blood, and cat hair.

I told my wife I want to screen in the porch and she vetoed that idea. Then I bought some antifreeze and she caved. Now we're getting our back porch screened in.

I did call a pest control company and he said that it can get really expensive with traps. He said to call the local ASPC and see if they'd help.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
There are no leash laws on cats in Mecklenburg county. I would not trap them.

I had a similar problem. I bought two motion activated sprinklers and it worked like a charm. They avoid my yard now.
Leash laws have no application here. Leash laws pertain to owners of animals and the control they must have over them. They do not apply to people who have animals they do not possess running around their property and killing things. They are at that point considered a nuisance animal. They can be trapped and turned over to animal control just like a possum or raccoon.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,733,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Leash laws have no application here. Leash laws pertain to owners of animals and the control they must have over them. They do not apply to people who have animals they do not possess running around their property and killing things. They are at that point considered a nuisance animal. They can be trapped and turned over to animal control just like a possum or raccoon.

The cat is killing things that lives in nature. Leash laws do apply as it isn't illegal to have an outside roaming cat. Unfortunately. As I said, when I called Animal Control to deal with it, this is everything they told me. Maybe it's different in your part of the city but in Southeast Charlotte that's how it is around here.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
The cat is killing things that lives in nature. Leash laws do apply as it isn't illegal to have an outside roaming cat. Unfortunately. As I said, when I called Animal Control to deal with it, this is everything they told me. Maybe it's different in your part of the city but in Southeast Charlotte that's how it is around here.

Right up until the time that cat interferes or destroy the property of another.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/C...ash%20Law.aspx

From CMPD Animal Control's website: Leash Laws do not apply to cats, they fall under nuisance animal clauses. First sentence on the page.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/C...20Animals.aspx

We are talking about a cat who "interferes with the ordinary use and enjoyment of their property." Which makes this cat a nuisance animal and gives a property owner every right to take actions to prevent this animal from destroying things on his property.

Animal Control said what they did because they did not want to come out and try to track down a cat all over your neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: