U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:47 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,562,244 times

Advertisements

Think what you want, but my wife just said to me (after reading your posts) "Honey, you work where you want to and the distance we perfer (up to 20 miles if need be). You did ask for help, but didn't ask to be "told" how far and what kind of work you should do!"
So, we both say, "Think what you want, say what you think you have to!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 03:59 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,928,139 times
Hey, to each his own. You asked for help.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:54 PM

197 posts, read 616,058 times
I know that some int'l freight forwarders has offices here, ie Hellmanns. I'd suggest you to search if there is any airlines that handles cargo or custom house brokers.
Another suggestion could be placement firms such as "Aerotek"
Good luck!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:00 PM

Asking for help is a lot different than people "telling" you what to do and not giving you the choice of what is replied!! This Thread was asking for suggestions, NOT being told I'm wrong because I don't necessarily follow certain suggestions. Come on folks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hey, to each his own. You asked for help.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Asking for help is a lot different than people "telling" you what to do and not giving you the choice of what is replied!! This Thread was asking for suggestions, NOT being told I'm wrong because I don't necessarily follow certain suggestions. Come on folks!!!
If what you are doing is working for ya, far be it from me (or anyone else) to "tell you what to do."

You posted on this thread:

Distribution/Logistics Jobs Are Hard To Find Here...Why???

"We moved here last Oct and I'm still without a job. My career has been in Purchasing and Inventory Control/Management. I don't have a Degree, but did attend a University Extension for a couple of years. I'm not "certified" in anything, but have/still am taking classes in Distribution/Logistics to become a CPM. I completely know how to use a computer and use Purchasing/Inventory type software. So, why am I having such a problem??"

In reply to your question, various members were sympathetic, and people gave you suggestions and I even mentioned that perhaps it was b/c of age discrimination. After all, we have seen you post many times that you had moved here and you could not find a job. We felt bad for you.

But after so many posts, you reveal that - Gosh, all these suggestions - but they really were not GOOD suggestions, unless you didn't have to commute very far.

Well, there is your answer. You asked "why am I having such a problem?"

And I answered that for you. You didn't like the answer. OH WELL.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:16 AM

My wife doesn't want me to commute to far......is that ok with you folks??? It's not just me, it's her feelings also. Isn't that what marriage is about, understanding each other feelings. I'm NOT young and neither is she (we know 59/60 isn't "that" old), but we have our restrictions due to health (my hip replacement/shoulder surgery meaning NO physical labor anymore) and our driving distance. A lot of you "younger" (20/30/40 year olds) can do the longer distance driving........we just prefer not to.
Yes, I've had a hard time finding a job because I don't see ANY jobs out there like I use to do.....working in an office doing purchasing and inventory. I have to try to find a job in that area that doesn't require a Degree (which I wish I could have gotten years ago).
My wife and I agree that I DON'T have to take just anything. Just DON'T tell me that I don't want a job because I DO......but, in what I enjoy doing.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:04 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,537,158 times
Loveboating - Your explanation provides insight as to why you were limiting your search - perfectly understandable; however, none of this was evident in your prior posts, thus the perception of some that you really did not want the job. I have to add that your earlier response was a tad bit belligerent and had antagonized some who were sincere in trying to help you. I hope you realize that with you limiting your search criteria that you may not get as much of a response as you might like. I'm sure by now you realize from people posting in here that a degree does not guarantee you a job in the current Charlotte market since there is a glut of those who do, and that you are at an even worse disadvantage by being without. You should be so lucky as to have a supportive spouse, and hope that she also survives the downturn and relative instability of the job market. However, please don't overlook the fact that those who responded to your request did so with sincerity and certainly did not deserve the flippant attitude that was evident in your response. I wish you luck in your search and hope you find just that right job that would make you happy. Charlotte still provides lots of opportunities for people willing and able to make the best of what they can get.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 AM

Thanks to all of you......I'm GONE and job searching!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM

Look, LB. We all want you to get a job. You came on here making blanket statements about how jobs in your field "are hard to find." The truth is, there may very well be jobs you would be qualified for, but you don't want to commute. That is your business!!! People can have all sorts of reasons for restricting a job search to a certain area.

You and your wife don't feel you should commute. Then that is a criteria for finding a job, right? It has to be located in a place you can easily commute. So post a request asking for suggestions w/in xxx miles of your location.

What I am objecting to is that you have posted for months now that THERE ARE NO JOBS and you can't find a job . . . but you don't state that you have restrictions about WHERE you can work. I am on here regularly and how many times have you stated in a thread that the job market was bad here, b/c you have been here since last year and can't find a job? That is just not accurate! You can't find a job w/in your preferred commuting distance.

So don't get all prickly and bent out of shape. There are plenty of us here who are willing to make suggestions or give you leads. But be honest and accurate about it. It is NOT that there are NO JOBS. It is that you need to find a job within a certain area and you only want an office job, not a warehouse job (or - if in a warehouse, a desk job, right?) Now if you tell people THAT, then maybe someone can genuinely be of assistance to you.

And you know, when people give me advice (after I have asked for it) - even if it is absurd or meaningless (or even downright stupid) advice, I have found the best thing to do is say "thank you" b/c people are trying to help and have good intentions.

Don't bite the hand that is trying to feed you.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 AM

5,542 posts, read 6,652,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My wife doesn't want me to commute to far......is that ok with you folks??? It's not just me, it's her feelings also. Isn't that what marriage is about, understanding each other feelings. I'm NOT young and neither is she (we know 59/60 isn't "that" old), but we have our restrictions due to health (my hip replacement/shoulder surgery meaning NO physical labor anymore) and our driving distance. A lot of you "younger" (20/30/40 year olds) can do the longer distance driving........we just prefer not to.
Yes, I've had a hard time finding a job because I don't see ANY jobs out there like I use to do.....working in an office doing purchasing and inventory. I have to try to find a job in that area that doesn't require a Degree (which I wish I could have gotten years ago).
My wife and I agree that I DON'T have to take just anything. Just DON'T tell me that I don't want a job because I DO......but, in what I enjoy doing.

LoveBoating - If you can survive nicely on your wife's current salary, why not play "house husband" for another three years then apply for SS! Two and a half or three years can go by in an instant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or