Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 33,762 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I just moved to Charlotte a couple weeks ago. We are looking for some fun day trips around the area. Does anyone have any suggestions? We heard that there are some nice parks and hiking, but not sure where to go or what else is around. Any ideas would be appreciated! We're interested in all kinds of activities, out door stuff, shopping, museums, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCnewbie08 View Post
My fiancee and I just moved to Charlotte a couple weeks ago. We are looking for some fun day trips around the area. Does anyone have any suggestions? We heard that there are some nice parks and hiking, but not sure where to go or what else is around. Any ideas would be appreciated! We're interested in all kinds of activities, out door stuff, shopping, museums, etc.

Thanks!

There is tons to do!

Take a ride out on I85 south just beyond Gastonia to Crowders Mountain for a nice day hike (exit 13) - or visit nearby Kings Mt National Park and Battleground to hike the woods where the locals fought the British in the American Revolution.

Do some whitewater rafting at the Whitewater Rafting Center just west of uptown Charlotte.

Head south into Fort Mill to visit the Anne Springs Close Greenway - another nice place for a walk in the woods.

The Mint Museum in located on Randolph Rd near uptown and has some wonderful pieces of art - definitely check it out sometime.

The Nature Museum is right next door to Freedom Park and for how small it is is very interesting.

Head up to Latta Plantation in northwest Charlotte to see a pre-revolutionary home and its way of life preserved. There are also great trails there around Mountain Island Lake.

And in that area check out the Raptor Center to see some interesting birds of prey.

Hope this helps! It was all of the top of my head

Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
One of our favorites is Mount Mitchell, but it is all good.
This is about 100 miles from my driveway in SE Charlotte:

View out the restaurant window!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
Well if you don't have a dog, I would recommend a trip to Charleston, SC. There is soooo much to do there. Three hour easy drive each way. You can easily make it long weekend or just stop by for the day and make plans to go back. Leave 1st thing in the morning, get there by 10am, see the sights, have early dinner and be home by 9pm. It is a long day but you will love it.

Another good day trip is a drive to Biltmore Estate in Asheville. Two hour drive each way.

The zoo in Asheboro, NC is a good one if you like large outdoor zoos. 90+ minutes each way. You can easily spend the day here. There is also a zoo in Columbia, Sc. Same distance, just a more compact zoo and takes much less time.

Grandfather Mountain is great on a warm summer day. 2 hours each way. Lot of hiking and sightseeing.

I am sure others will help chime in!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 33,762 times
These are GREAT ideas! THANKS! That is exactly the type of information i was hoping for. Not going to lie... I'm probably going to check a bunch of these places out this long memorial day weekend! I travel so much for work, I just want to enjoy this area!! I love exploring new places! and since i just moved here..they are all new!...keep the ideas coming!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:42 PM

905 posts, read 3,453,375 times
Just 95 miles from CLT and an easy drive is:

Chimney Rock Park | North Carolina hiking trails with incredible mountain views

An annual pass is $25 and a one day admission is $14. Just down the road is Lake Lure with a small park, boat rentals, and a beach.

It would be feasible to also swing by Hendersonville Visitors Information Center | Hendersonville & Flat Rock, NC | Henderson County Travel & Tourism | Welcome Center | Tourist Bureau

or Black Mountain Welcome to Black Mountain NC: Arts, Events, Lodging, Shopping, Outdoors, and More

on your way back to CLT

Old 05-22-2008, 01:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Just 95 miles from CLT and an easy drive is:
+1000! Love Chimney Rock!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:37 PM

513 posts, read 2,111,008 times
Do you have kids? If so, you can take a ride to Columbia, SC (about 1 1/2 hours) and go to the EdVenture Children's Museum. EdVenture Children's Museum (broken link)

While you are in Columbia, check out the Riverbanks Zoo. Riverbanks Zoo and Garden

Blowing Rock is a great town in the mountains to wander around. You can find whitewater rafting, hiking, horseback riding, etc. Check out this site: Welcome to Blowing Rock, North Carolina, an upscale resort town featuring downtown shops, fine restaurants, attractions, recreation and more. Grandfather Mountain is close to Blowing Rock. Grandfather Mountain The views off the mile high bridge are amazing!

Edit - Oops - just saw you said you are engaged - probably no kids yet. But you never know! Anyway, if the kid stuff doesn't apply to you, Blowing Rock and Grandfather Mountain are great!

Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 PM

117 posts, read 597,301 times
are you wine drinkers? this is a repost from this forum on 8/2007:

Yadkin Valley Wine Tours has regularly scheduled tours to all the wineries in the Yadkin Valley and other areas

They are very cost effective visiting 3-4 wineries for $80 per person

They even do custom tours for private occasions

Check them out at Yadkin Valley Wine Tours

Old 05-22-2008, 06:51 PM

10 posts, read 70,659 times
Default mountain day trips from Charlotte

For a day trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway, watch the weather, because it rains a ton.

Get up early and if the weather report is clear, do a day trip to the Parkway:
- Blowing Rock is 1.5 hr one way. Fun/quaint little mountain town.
- Go past Blowing Rock another 10-30 min for hiking trails all along Blue Ridge parkway. Grandfather Mt is diverse and has a zoo.

- For a longer day trip, Asheville is 2hr one-way. Great artsy town with diverse restaurants. Pick either east or west another 20-40min on the Blue Ridge Parkway for great short or long hikes/vistas.
- West of Asheville 45min are several awesome waterfall hikes. Do you want more details?

- Charleston is 3hr 1-way, and is definitely awesome and extremely diverse (something for everyone). If it rains, no problem go to world class restaurants, aquarium, art galleries, museums, aircraft carrier, etc. Definitely spend the nite - there are lots of great places/deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte