U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,872 times

Advertisements

You pay seprately for Dish/DirectTv right? I think if you bundle them together you save 5 or 10 bucks but not like the "bundle" time warner offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 06:36 AM

525 posts, read 1,642,375 times
I pay them together.
Dish for their top 120 plus local and extra dual receiver (works 2 tvs) is 49.99/month vs cable for 67 for digital basic and only in one room without being charged for xtra receivers.
DirecTV doesn't have dual rec'rs so anything more than that initial box you pay 5.00/month for each add'l receiver.
DSL is 24.95 or 29.95/month for 1.5 ( think that is what we have), time warners package for 3 things with only unlimited Carolina calling is 99. for their "promotional period" after that it goes up.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,872 times
So dish = $49.99
Dsl = $29.99
Telephone = $30.00

Total = 109.98

This is the package I have too. Just trying to figure out if there is a better deal out there. I pay at least $140 for mine with upgrades on Dish and Bellsouth.

The worst though is AT&T maybe buying back Bellsouth service will go to the dogs now.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:43 AM

before taxes and fees it is 125.00 with Windstream. TW was more expensive. I am union so that is our only choice where we are! TW or Windstream. I like having all the channels in all the rooms with TV unlike with digital cable and sixty plus for cable ..and 45 for extended basic is just nuts.
So you have Bellsouth? My friend has that in FL and they use DirecTV. Since she only has one extra TV they only need one box but she has more channels than we do with DISH. I don't think that 125 is bad, being I make a TON of long distance calls since family is out of state.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:42 AM

57 posts, read 272,676 times
Default You can send faxes with eFax

If you upgrade to any of the eFax plans above the free efax plan, you gain the ability to send an eFax. You can send a fax from either the eFax software that they give you or you can configure your eFax account to accept email from your email account. If you send email from your email account to a special email address, eFax will fax any attachments to the fax number that you include in the Subject line (I think - or was it the message body) of the email. I may be a little fuzzy it's been a while since I did this.

It does help if you have a scanner, so you can fax things that you have handwritten. But no landline is necessary anymore. I pre-paid and for about $129/year you can get an eFax account. Much cheaper than a year's worth of phone bills for a dedicated fax machine.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:29 PM

36 posts, read 88,870 times
Default eFax and VOIP

Ok.

eFax should work. I have a scanner and I like the idea of getting my faxes in my email box. Ok. So... let's say I don't need a wired land line just for a Fax.

My last few years with Vonage have been very spotty. I can't imagine digital phone being as reliable as a wired land line. Anyone have solid performance out of VOIP? In particular I would like to know if anyone has experienced call quality issues with TW Digital Phone.

I am tempted to get the TW Triple Play because I need HD DVR (totally addicted to it... but that's another thread).

But I will also need to get DirectTV for the NFL package next season. So, If I could get away with DirectTV instead or Cable but also get a great deal on unlimited calling, it might work.

Any thoughts on a TriplePlay Deal which includes DirectTV for the NFL package.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:20 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,632,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
We have Windstream and did away with Cable. I know Bell South offers a package too..not sure what is available in your area. We live in Union. It is cheaper than Time Warner and I have unlimited calling, DSL for net (which is comparable from what I can see to cable) and DISH service (more channels in EVERY room for much less than cable). Good luck..I was told to try vonage but had too many mixed reviews from others. Depends on area I guess?
What kind of speed are you getting with your current Internet provider?

You can test your connection speed here -

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Last edited by mm34b; 01-13-2007 at 01:32 PM..

Old 01-14-2007, 10:09 AM

36 posts, read 88,870 times
Unfortunately, I am between homes as I am moving to Charlotte in a couple of weeks, so I have no home and no internet service at the moment.

I spoke to a friend of mine who has directTV in one home and cable at his inlaws and apparently HD on DirectTV leaves something to be desired. Plus without VOD and the fact that you need to purchase equiptment from DirectTV... I think I am leaning towards the TW TriplePlay. While I will miss watching my Jets... I imagine I will get over it.

If my phone service proves to be unreliable, I will simple add local phone service or try a cell phone solution. I will use eFax for Faxing and my scanner if I need to write on a fax. So that's the plan for now.

Thanks all. Very helpful yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
What kind of speed are you getting with your current Internet provider?

You can test your connection speed here -

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Old 01-14-2007, 10:15 AM

With DISH you don't purchase anything. You get a dual receiver and free installation if you go with an 18 month contract, if you don't go with the contract it is 49.99 installation fee. Local channels are 5.00/ month and an additional dual (meaning it works 2 TVs and you can watch different things on each) is an extra 5.00 month if you want HD and other packages those are available too. If you cancel your service, you just send back the receivers (they send you shipping labels and boxes) and the transformer portion of the dish and that is it. TW is overpriced that is why I won't have it. Plus you have to get whatever equipment beyond normal cable for each TV and pay separately for those.
I get 1.5 mbs from DSL ..that is the lower one, they do have more, we just don't need it.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 AM

OH and local phone service just for local calling with callwaiting is close to 40 after taxes! With the package we have we hav eunlimited local and long distance and it is just 49.99 plus of course those great fees!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or