Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:59 AM

338 posts, read 896,723 times

Advertisements

Why is the part of Rea Road south of 485 better in your view?

I share your opinion based on the fact that the houses are newer. For example, I looked in Piper Glen, and those houses' interiors aren't nearly as nice as ones built today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:38 AM

I did a test run on Rea Road from Blakeney to Uptown on a Mon. morn. at 7:30, and it was fine. It moved the whole way.

The next day, I drove from Blakeney to Uptown on 521 to Park Road, etc. at the same time. It also moved the whole way.

Why do people traveling Uptown from Union County even bother with 485 and 77 when they can go via side roads?

Old 06-11-2008, 07:53 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
my dh doesnt take 485, to uptown...and I dont know many people who live in my development that do...the only people I know taking 485 are those that live in other parts of Union County....I know a few people by cureton/quellin some take the back roads all the way and others take 485...I guess it depends...so I would assume that answers some of your questions on what location you want to live in...Just curious how long time wise did it take u from here?

Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
I did a test run on Rea Road from Blakeney to Uptown on a Mon. morn. at 7:30, and it was fine. It moved the whole way.

The next day, I drove from Blakeney to Uptown on 521 to Park Road, etc. at the same time. It also moved the whole way.

Why do people traveling Uptown from Union County even bother with 485 and 77 when they can go via side roads?
Don't be fooled by the lighter traffic Monday - this week marks the end of public school (seniors finished last week) AND the private schools all ended last week. Getting all that school traffic off the local roads makes a huge difference for a while, until others catch on and begin abandoning the interstates for the rest of the summer too By the third week of August you won't be asking this question, you'll understand why some people find the interstates better!

Last edited by lovesMountains; 06-11-2008 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-11-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
my dh doesnt take 485, to uptown...and I dont know many people who live in my development that do...the only people I know taking 485 are those that live in other parts of Union County....I know a few people by cureton/quellin some take the back roads all the way and others take 485...I guess it depends...so I would assume that answers some of your questions on what location you want to live in...Just curious how long time wise did it take u from here?

It took me 35 minutes, and it was about 18 miles.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 19,820 times
I live in Marvin Creek and non rush hours I can be door to door in 35 minutes to uptown. My neighbor works at BOA and he gets there in 35 minutes in the early early am and then it takes him 45-50 in the middle of the rush. He usually goes out MC the back way straight up Johnston Rd and it turns into Park. But you can follow Rea to Providence or Rea turns into Colony and Wanders up through Myers Park to Uptown. Marvin Creek is a great neighborhood...Lots to do and a stellar location...we love it there.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Just out of curiosity...have you looked into Myers Park or Eastover? They are both close in upscale neighborhoods with good schools and only about 5-10 minutes from Uptown...you wouldn't be wasting almost 2hrs a day commuting.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:31 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,853 times
Talking economics anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Just out of curiosity...have you looked into Myers Park or Eastover? They are both close in upscale neighborhoods with good schools and only about 5-10 minutes from Uptown...you wouldn't be wasting almost 2hrs a day commuting.

GOOD LUCK!
Good point. I'm guessing the difference in taxes is a motivating factor. It would be interesting to compare the it from an economic standpoint of opportunity cost. Let's see

Union Co. Commute:

2 hours each day x 5 x 50 = 500 hours on the road. I'm sure this is a typical round trip commute time. 2 hours is a lot of time that could be spent resting, reading, with family etc so the cost is hard to quantify but happy generally equals healthy in my book.

18 mile commute from Rea and Marvin School Road up Rea > Colony > Carmel > Fairview > Providence > E. 3rd St. > Independence > Elizabeth > Trade and Tryon.

Say 20 miles to make it a nice round number. 20 x 2 x 5 x 50 = 10,000 miles. Assuming the car has a 16 gallon tank for a typical range of 400 miles. Now we need to figure out how much will be spent on gas just traveling that commute. So the average fill up now costs $64 x 25 fill ups to travel 10,000 miles = $1,600. This is a low figure because it doesn't account for stop and go traffic. I'd guess fuel bill would be closer to $2,000 per year just for commuting.

The financial cost of commuting and Union taxes OR shorter commute (say Myers Park) and Meck taxes. Anyone know the tax rates and interested in joining the analytical fun or care to correct my numbers? I'm a geek when it comes to stuff like this, I admit it.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:10 PM

5 posts, read 19,820 times
$1.29 in Clt and .71 at Unincorp Union. Thus on a $750,000 home in Union is $5,325 in Clt $9,675. Net Savings $4,350. Now while you are at it take into consideration the repairs on homes built in the 40's to 50's and a new home. Then take the difference in effecience of the home for insulation heating and coooling etc. with the new home in Union. Then remember that your home will be half the size or twice as much in Myers Park. Avg sq foot around $140 in Union and $250 to $300 in Myers Park Eastover. You also will have to add in the YMCA membership(in Myers Park) since you lose the Gym Pool and Tennis courts you get in Marvin Creek . YMCA membership is about $100 a month.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:43 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
I have to agree with Jeff, and Im so glad he finally put it out there how long it takes to get uptown from here...London that is how long it takes dh..worst case 45 minutes...still you cant beat the location over here...and u will get alot for your money in Union than u will in Meck....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte