Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 AM

22 posts, read 65,027 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I've been on here. I was wondering if anyone could recommed a Great Mover. We are relocating from Pittsburgh, PA to Huntersville, NC. The first quote I got was way higher then we had expected.

Thanks in Advance,

Sierra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 PM

148 posts, read 562,876 times
I just hired a moving company to relocate us from NY to Union County. If you thought your estimate was high, maybe you are bringing too much stuff! I had 3 estimates that were all high but in the same ballpark. Much more than I thought but they all explained that they go by weight and charge per pound. They estimated I had 10,000 pounds to move. They weigh the truck first and then weigh it again with your stuff on it. The initial estimate can go up or down depending on the final weight. Maybe you can decide to not take some things and buy new after you move. Just a suggestion. Also, don't be fooled by the small companies that are out for your business. You can have a bad experience. I called the larger and well known companies and checked them out with BBB. Good Luck! I am not moving until July but lets hope things work out! Also, they provide free boxes and supplies if you ask.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:05 PM

What was your price per pound? I grew up in the Air Force and am very aware of the way to move and how its priced and all. Not to mention the rising gas prices isn't helping much. Our weight is going to be around 10,000 also but add on 485 miles to that with a 15% surcharge on fuel. I was just blown away by our first estimate. Thanks anyhow!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:06 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,482 times
Take a look at this page here, and scroll down for "Pittsburgh":

Pennsylvania Movers

I've moved 8 times in the last 10 years, and I've always found that you really get what you pay for. Watch out for scammers. (That forum should help you.) Good luck!!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:13 PM

247 posts, read 997,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraryan View Post
Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I've been on here. I was wondering if anyone could recommed a Great Mover. We are relocating from Pittsburgh, PA to Huntersville, NC. The first quote I got was way higher then we had expected.

Thanks in Advance,

Sierra

I would try Wheaton Van Lines. Yes, they were expensive compared to some smaller movers but the move from Memphis, TN to Winston-Salem, NC was a smooth one thanks to them. Professional, timely and not one thing was broken. Whereas we used a smaller cheaper moving company to help us move within Winston and they broke several pieces of furniture (among other things) and then wanted a tip!!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:34 PM

55 posts, read 211,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraryan View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in Advance,

Sierra
Go with Don Farr Movers in Pittsburgh. They are a local company that provides great care. We moved a year ago from the North Hills of Pittsburgh, and they did not lose or break anything in our move. We had at least 11,000lbs and packed ourselves using many boxes they delivered to our home at no charge. Their estimate was below what we expected and they were quite flexible on the dates (picked up and delivered over Memorial Day Weekend). No locals used only their own employees. Good Luck.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Take a look at this page here, and scroll down for "Pittsburgh":

Pennsylvania Movers

I've moved 8 times in the last 10 years, and I've always found that you really get what you pay for. Watch out for scammers. (That forum should help you.) Good luck!!
Thanks, I will definitely check out the site for PA movers. I got a pamphlet from South Hills movers called: www.protectyourmove.gov but found that site very overwhelming. I'll also check the BBB too before moving. But thanks again for the Heads up!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfast View Post
Go with Don Farr Movers in Pittsburgh. They are a local company that provides great care. We moved a year ago from the North Hills of Pittsburgh, and they did not lose or break anything in our move. We had at least 11,000lbs and packed ourselves using many boxes they delivered to our home at no charge. Their estimate was below what we expected and they were quite flexible on the dates (picked up and delivered over Memorial Day Weekend). No locals used only their own employees. Good Luck.
Funny we have Don Farr coming this Tuesday for our estimate. Its a relief to hear someone had a good experience with them. I was a bit nervous b (broken link)/c they are a small private company. Although when we moved to Pittsburgh from Chicago we used a large N. America Co called George and they were like 9 hours late with our delivery. With two small children I wasn't happy to say the least. When moving with the service we used large companies like Mayflower, Allied & NA. Anyhow...

Do you by chance remember who moved you? It'd be nice if we could ask

Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 AM

55 posts, read 211,029 times
Do you by chance remember who moved you? It'd be nice if we could ask[/quote]

I will see if we still have the paperwork, and send you the names via dm if I find the info. Don't want to post names on public forum without permission.
After many moves in the military which always had damage claims this last move was a real pleasant experience. They shrink wrapped sofas and packed/wrapped our large antique oak pieces the day of pickup. Not a single ding, rub or any other damage. They made the drive down and had truck unloaded before dark in one day. We did our own packing as much as possible to save money, and paid for extra insurance with them as a precaution.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:16 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,089 times
Move with the Truck Rental Alternative - ABF U-Pack Moving

I'll throw this website / service out there for you to consider also. I've seen it advertised on the back of their trucks while driving down the highway.

GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte