U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:36 AM

221 posts, read 673,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Three Wow that is hits it right on the nose even here in NJ everything you said...and we cant wait to start fresh....
Same here NJmom. Where are you moving to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,225,816 times
Rally monkey
I think you are missing the point here. There comes a time when one asks the question ; am I doing an injustice to my children having them in daycare 10 hours a day, 5 days a week and paying thru the nose for "quality" daycare.
Then when it comes to elementary school ; if we could afford to live in a good school district, I would love to stay here as we love being so close to Manhatten etc. However, we live in a terrible school district, we pay thru the nose for taxes and get this ; I send my children to catholic school so they can get a decent education. Then when one of my children needs extra help, I have to beg the school district for a service that I am entitled to as a taxpayer.
We bought our house for just about $400,000 two years ago. our taxes have gone up, our services have gone down and frankly I am done with paying so much in taxes so that illegals can go and get services for free. We used to pay over $1200 in health care MONTHLY ; only to go to the er and see illegals again, getting services for free. Our fire district ; well thats another story. The abuse that they have done with the budget is outrageous.
Seems like here in NY the rich are getting richer, the middle class are being sqeezed out and the poor ; well I just dont know how they are managing.
Getting off my soap box now.
dorothy

Old 01-10-2007, 09:40 AM

480 posts, read 2,642,403 times
Illegal immigration is a problem all over the U.S. Go to any state where there is farming, restaurants, or construction. Better yet, go to New Mexico, Texas, or Nevada. See what you find. Who do you think is building all those houses in NC?

Paying $1,200 a month for healthcare is an unfortunate necessity, but it has nothing to do with New York, and everything to do with finding an employer that offers healthcare coverage.

New York is not necessarily expensive; it's expensive for certain people in certain situations.

Last edited by Check123; 01-10-2007 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-10-2007, 10:20 AM

549 posts, read 2,004,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMonkey View Post
Illegal immigration is a problem all over the U.S. Go to any state where there is farming, restaurants, or construction. Better yet, go to New Mexico, Texas, or Nevada. See what you find. Who do you think is building all those houses in NC?

Paying $1,200 a month for healthcare is an unfortunate necessity, but it has nothing to do with New York, and everything to do with finding an employer that offers healthcare coverage.

New York is not necessarily expensive; it's expensive for certain people in certain situations.
Housing and Property taxes on Long Island are expensive. You cannot spin it any other way.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 AM

8 posts, read 28,823 times
rallyMonkey why are you so against Northeasterners moving and trying to get a better life for whatever reason they may have.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:05 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,225,816 times
rally ; we did find an employer that offers health coverage, but before that we had paid $1200 a month for over 10 years.
Amazing I was illegal at one stage of my life here in NY. BUT I did not have children, did not use the healthcare, did not use food stamps and kept any money that I earned here in the good old US of A.
The reason why most of us want to get off LOng Island is that it has become super expensive, a rat race, and kids just cant be kids here. In our development, my children are the only children you see playing outside. I am talking about 60 other homes here. I want a place where my children can play outside, wheere they will excel in school and where they will be happy. They wont be happy if their parents are stressed out while trying to creat a middle class environment. They will never be able to afford a home here on the island.
dorothy

Old 01-10-2007, 12:15 PM

31 posts, read 129,343 times
Default Looking to move to NC

I like to play the blues on my guitar but I'm tired of living the blues here on Long Island. I have lived in East Islip now for 30 years with my wife and 6 kids and we are tired of all the expenses and high taxes of living here. My wife and I both work good jobs and it's hard making ends meet.
Our 27 year old son just moved to Cary NC with his girlfriend. Why?
Because with both of them working good jobs they had to live in a one bedroom basement apartment for $1,100 a month.And the chances of ever owning a home in this area very slim. They moved to Cary and now have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath aprtment for $850 a month. He's an electrician and got a job immediatly. His girlfriend is a sonagram tech and got a job at Duke University hospital at just about the same salary she had here on LI. I think they will be able to get there own home in the NEAR future.
Now my wife and I and our yougest daughter of 12 are ready to make the move.
We are going to look in Union County Charlotte as well as areas around Cary.
From what I read here and people I know that have moved to NC they are much better off then they were here on Long Island.
My wife is a RN and I work as a plumbing estimator for a large commercial Plumbing contractor. I don't think either of us will have difficulty finding employment and I would welcome anyone who reads this to gives us advise and any leads you may know of.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:15 PM

77 posts, read 423,088 times
Hi I live on Long island. My husband and I want to move to NC eventually. I have posted on other threads that my grown children live in Mooresville and love it. My kids tell me they meet people from Long Island all the time.They joke that 150 is the new Middle Country Road.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:32 PM

221 posts, read 673,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
Housing and Property taxes on Long Island are expensive. You cannot spin it any other way.
Way to go NY-Dallas!!!!
Enough explaining to ones who enjoy debating a mood point.

YOU CAN NOT SPIN IT ANY OTHER WAY. I cant agree more!

I want you to know that Long Islanders pay ridiculous taxes so that the schools can have employees steel millions of dollars and towns that pay over $100k to have accounting firms come in and do their bank recs (mind you they have employees that are suppose to be doing the recs, but just dont find the time in between the 2 hour lunches an 45 minutes worth of breaks, not including cigerate breaks) before an audit can even be done.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:35 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threesons View Post
Way to go NY-Dallas!!!!
Enough explaining to ones who enjoy debating a mood point.

YOU CAN NOT SPIN IT ANY OTHER WAY. I cant agree more!

I want you to know that Long Islanders pay ridiculous taxes so that the schools can have employees steel millions of dollars and towns that pay over $100k to have accounting firms come in and do their bank recs (mind you they have employees that are suppose to be doing the recs, but just dont find the time in between the 2 hour lunches an 45 minutes worth of breaks, not including cigerate breaks) before an audit can even be done.
All those layers of people getting paid too just amaze me! Unions for gas station attendents?????????? You can't fill your own tank in New Jersey for Pete's sake, seriously, the unions have made that against the law! Unions have really contributed to the overall cost of living for all of you up there in the northeast for sure, among other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or