U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM

24 posts, read 35,685 times

Advertisements

many of the newer neighborhoods also have large neighborhood pools. And come July/August its common to sweat while swimming underwater, even in the large pools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 AM

197 posts, read 426,182 times
I grew up between Concord and Charlotte and I really loved that area as a kid. Still love it even though it has grown up. Most of my childhood friends live in or close by Concord.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM

9 posts, read 42,885 times
I moved to Concord (East of Hwy 49) in August/2011 from South Florida. I had spent over a year doing my research, with schools the #1 priority. Because of the schools in S. Florida, we home schooled my daughter who was in the Middle School years and with my son set to go into Middle School, it was time to get out. We were initially looking at Winston-Salem area, along with certain parts of Charlotte-Mecklenburg and Cabarrus County.

If you have kids and are looking to move, this is what I suggest and what I did. The biggest thing was to research the schools and I subscribed to several websites that gave detailed information as to the demographics and test scores. With that, I had quickly narrowed the field to a half dozen area's that had both good Middle and High Schools, going onto each School districts websites for the boundaries then drew them on GoogleEarth, then when I would see real estate listings, I'd type the address in and see if it fell inside or outside of that particular School boundary.

CC Griffin MS and Central Cabarrus High were two schools that were acceptable to us and we found a very nice home in these School Districts and absolutely love the area. We're more out in the country and while we're away from everything, we're still close enough if you know what I mean. Concord seems to have a very good public safety system. I see police cars all the time and the fire department has stations all around the city, with one close by to my home. I have no complaints about the taxes I pay on a city level or the services provided. The only complaint would be with having to pay a personal proerty tax on your car every year and if you register your car for the first time, the state hits you with a highway use tax so plan on an expense of hundreds of dollars per car if you're registering it from out of state. One other negatibe is the Carolina's Medical System. Though the health care is top notch, watch out when dealing with doctors and labs. For instance, using the lab at the hospital will result in a $200 out patient fee. You'll also get charged that if you visit some doctors because even though they work out of an office, they are are billed through the hospital so you'll pay an office visit plus the out-patient fees for the doctor.

I found the people to be far friendlier than they were in S. Florida. I also have all the convienances in this area for goods and services so leaving Concord to go elsewhere doesn't happen very often. You're also close to both major and minor league sporting teams in the Charlotte area and a couple of hours from the mountains. The weather since I've been here has been great. Even in the summer when it's in the upper 90's, it's bearable, unlike S. Florida and it cools down in the evenning to the point we spent much time outdoors BBQing. The winters have cold nights but it's not bone chilling either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte