Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:04 PM

26 posts, read 62,357 times

Advertisements

I will be moving into the area in the summer once my kids are out of school. I would appreciate as much information as you can give me. I will be renting my first year a 3bdrm house for the sake of space in one of the areas that have been mentioned with the schools. Not quite sure where employment will be. I am a legal secretary/paralegal with a large law firm in Columbia which I am trying to transfer from here to Charlotte but if nothing comes open I am scouting out the job market and will send my resume out starting in the month of March with hopes to land a job by May/June and move the end of May so I can get my son into summer school due to H.S. requirements being higher there than in SC. SC only requires 24 credit units to graduate and NC requires 28 so I am trying to get him in a position to squeeze those credit hours in throughout the summer and his final year in H.S. in NC. So much to do but will work on it in intervals. Thanks so much again for all the info. I heard the west and east side schools were not good places to focus in on for residence or school reputation. Is that true. I noticed Butler had some good stats but if I am not mistaken it is located on the east or westside. Correct me if I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 02:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdixon View Post
I will be moving into the area in the summer once my kids are out of school. I would appreciate as much information as you can give me. I will be renting my first year a 3bdrm house for the sake of space in one of the areas that have been mentioned with the schools. Not quite sure where employment will be. I am a legal secretary/paralegal with a large law firm in Columbia which I am trying to transfer from here to Charlotte but if nothing comes open I am scouting out the job market and will send my resume out starting in the month of March with hopes to land a job by May/June and move the end of May so I can get my son into summer school due to H.S. requirements being higher there than in SC. SC only requires 24 credit units to graduate and NC requires 28 so I am trying to get him in a position to squeeze those credit hours in throughout the summer and his final year in H.S. in NC. So much to do but will work on it in intervals. Thanks so much again for all the info. I heard the west and east side schools were not good places to focus in on for residence or school reputation. Is that true. I noticed Butler had some good stats but if I am not mistaken it is located on the east or westside. Correct me if I am wrong.
Butler is in Matthews, almost at the Mint Hill border. Just in case you haven't heard, Matthews is a very desirable place to live As stated before, I just don't personally like how many trailers Butler has been forced to go to with all the overcrowding there. What you heard about west and east Charlotte is unfortunately true. Just be aware, Mint Hill though east of the Charlotte city limits is NOT considered east Charlotte - it is a great place too.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:10 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Didn't mean to slight Butler The problem for me with Butler, as well as with North Mecklenburg, is the overcrowding. With that overcrowding has come more incidents of violence on campus, not that anyone has been seriously hurt or anything, but there have been problems I'd personally avoid putting my kids in the middle of. But that's just me I'm glad you had a good experience there!

No, no, no I went to Myers Park!

Old 01-04-2007, 07:03 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
North Mecks overcrowding issues should be resolved come next year when the Mallard Creek High School opens.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdixon View Post
Thanks for looking out for me that way and I will take your advice and get my sister who lives in Charlotte to get her hands on one or I will just take hers. She lives in the Matthews area and has no kids so she can only tell me about the traffic and distance of things but no info on schools. So once again thanks a bunch.
sdixon, my paralegal friend says you should send a resume and make contact with Parker Poe Associates. Don't know if they are hiring, but this would be the office she'd go work for if she were interested in family law.

Another practice you can try is Krusch and Sellers.

Also, it is tough to break into this market without at least 3 years experience, but many firms apparently prefer 15 years!!! Hope you've got some years under your belt

Old 01-09-2007, 03:18 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,721 times
Red face Hopewell?

What about Hopewell? The school is supposed to be good and don't they have a decent football team? I don't personally know, just going by what a neighbor told me. I've heard N. Meck. has a very bad rep.

As far as the legal jobs, I'm concerned. I'm going to school f/t to be a paralegal and I've lived in Huntersville since July. I keep an eye on the ads but don't see much and haven't since we've lived here. So I'm curious about the legal field here. I have a feeling it's underground or I haven't found the right source for legal jobs... I watch all the big ones, too, like monster, yahoo, abj, careerbuilder, esc, etc.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
niknaxx if anything you have the school reps backwards.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
niknaxx if anything you have the school reps backwards.
I was going to say the same thing!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,010 times
Default Outside county

I wouldn't discount the union county schools all together, it seems that Sun Valley high and middle as well as the porter ridge schools have a good reputation. I also know that their advanced student classes are very challenging, they offer a lot of AP courses. Also your taxes are cheaper across the county line.

Cabarrus county has some great schools as well along with cheaper taxes compared to Meck.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,320 times
I agree with that! PLUS you can afford more house if you are spending less in taxes. That was one reason besides schools we opted out of Meck, we looked in Matthews as well. I like Matthews and the schools are good but taxes yuck, I actually live about 5-10 miles away from Matthews anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte