U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:16 PM

543 posts, read 1,633,122 times

Advertisements

Alcohol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 03:17 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,816,661 times
I second that

Old 05-26-2008, 04:58 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Hee Hee. Mark and Himain . . . you two. Here I am . . . plodding along . . . trying to come up w/ things to help our newcomers . . . ROFL.

Cheers y'all - and Bottoms Up!

Old 05-26-2008, 05:12 PM

452 posts, read 1,216,364 times
Well I'm too new to charlotte but here is my input about this city so far that have made me feel at home....

first: My neighborhood is very family oriented, yesterday we had about 15 neighbors in our culdersac cooking bbq and kids riding bikes. (That was unheard of where I come from). I took pix on my phone and sent it to family back home, they thought it was a garage sale...

The traffic moves at a nice flow..compared to having one person going 30 the other 55 and the other 95...

I havent heard a single car horn...actually my horn was the only one, I pressed it by mistake...

Old 05-26-2008, 05:13 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,816,661 times
I will now contribute because I am a newcomer. There really isn't anything I miss about Miami but just my family and friends. It really has become a nasty and expensive city. I won't even mention the whole English/Spanish issue either. CLT for me and the bf has been a nice fresh start. We came up here without any unrealistic expectations. To sit here and think that CLT is LaLa land is not the thing to do. Yes, all big cities have issues and if you want a place without issues, then you need to move to the middle of nowhere then! In order to not become a part of those issues, you need to have a brain and use common sense also. We are not big into culture and all that stuff. The only things we really cared about was the shopping options and the fine dining (We have to have Ruths Chris). And guess what, if CLT doesn't have what we are specifically looking for, you can make a vacation and go to NYC or DC or where ever you please. In the end, in the short time we have been here, it has been the right move for us.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:15 PM

went out friday spent a nice time at eez fusion and suchi and also corkscrew in birkdale village than went to rusty ruckers i think....good time

Old 05-26-2008, 05:21 PM

Im happy for you and your bf himain...I hope this is the place you and your bf can start a family...I know it sucks not to speak spanish in miami..lucky for me I am bilingual but my wife is from michigan..and I have been teaching her but I know she struggled with it specially if we were in the Hialeah area.. My grandfather came to usa in 1968 and to this day cannot speak a word of english which pisses me off bigtime....And then he tells me to teach my kids spanish .,....I told him to learn english youve had 40 freaking years

Old 05-26-2008, 06:48 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
HIMAIN - we are glad you are getting settled in. I have a feeling, tho, that you and your b/f would find something good anywhere you would go. I guess that is the whole point of feeling at home in a new place . . . it takes a sense of adventure at times . . . and a willingness to reach out and explore and take some chances. So I know you will find whatever it is you want here - and if not - you will CREATE what you want!!!

LUIS - that is an amazing story about your G/father. Did he come here from Cuba? I am thinking he wanted to preserve his culture and heritage . . . but it is very surprising that he has not wanted to learn English . . . maybe he felt he would be "giving up" something if he spoke English.

For me, any time I have moved, I tried to find out what the locals felt was special about that area . . . and then try to embrace it (or at least - check it out). That helped me b/cm part of the new community.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:51 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,662,202 times
Default I think my neighbors

I became very good friends with about four houses to the right of me and see them everyday! They really have become like family even though we are all very different. I know for me the nice weather played a great part too and I am super outgoing and don't feel uncomfortable in new surroundings or with new people. We didn't need any time to adjust really!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:03 PM

329 posts, read 1,124,238 times
Hey Ani, what part of town in KC did you live in. I know you have replied to one of my posts and I knew you had lived here. Just curious if your favorite local pub was one I go to

I haven't moved to the Charlotte area yet, but feel that I have planned it and thought it all out so I feel very comfortable making the move. I know it will be here before I know it. Moving first of October. I am a little scared, but not in a bad way, just because it is a big change and move and a lot of unknowns.

I am lucky because I have a very good friend that lives near where I am planning on moving. She is very well connected and I have met several of her friends and feel like they are my friends to since I visit regularly. I will be getting a PT job waiting/bartending to give me a social life outside of my friend. I know I will meet people and finding the right place to work, be in a fun social setting, besides the extra money I will be bringing in which is always a bonus.

I am also planning on attending one of the ladies nights out as soon as possible to meet people from this board.

I am very outgoing and feel confident that I will not have a problem meeting people and making new friends. I know there will be times I will feel homesick, but I am so excited about the new adventure that lies ahead.

I plan on coming back to KC to visit at least every 6 months to see family and friends. I know my family and several of my friends will visit me. A lot of them can't wait to come visit because of all the wonderful things I tell them about Charlotte.

When I tell people I am moving to Charlotte it seems the response falls into one of two catagories - 1 - why do you want to move there (people who have never been) and 2 - Charlotte is a great place, you'll love it (people who have been to CLT before)

I am visiting in a couple of weeks for my friends surprise 40th b-day party. She doesn't know I am coming in town. A friend of hers that I have met several times called me and she is picking me up from the airport and taking care of me until the party. I am counting down the days until I go Also, have a meeting with a guy to discuss doing some websites for him - which is great because I am not even there yet and getting some local business before I move only puts me ahead of the game. My friend told him about me moving and what I do and he asked her for my info. I feel like everything is falling into place very nicely.

Still trying to make sure and myself grounded and realistic about it all too.

Can't wait to move to Charlotte and celebrate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte