Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:19 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdiovany View Post
I havent heard a single car horn...actually my horn was the only one, I pressed it by mistake...

That was you disturbing the peace, these floridian troublemakers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 03:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Hey there, KSChick!!! You are gonna be fine when you get here . . . plus your visits back will help you form a "bridge" to keep your former life connected w/ your present one. I feel you are going to have a very smooth transition! Sure hope so!

I loved Tanner's!!! Loved the very very laid back atmosphere. You can't be too uptight when it is 10 below, hee hee, and everyone comes in the place looking like Nanook of the North. Enjoyed hanging out to watch the Chiefs or basketball . . . or to have one of their great burgers or steaks! Just have not been able to duplicate that here. I have been very lucky to find a tavern nearby . . .but the food is a lot more expensive, style is just not as laid back . . . I am sure you know what I mean. Just a different vibe . . . So I miss Tanner's, big time . . .and also Panzon's - great Mexican food, terrific atmosphere and prices about half what I pay here . . . Some of my clients called me this week while having lunch at Panzon's!!! Now that was cruel! LOL!!!

Hope you have a good visit for your friend's party . . .

Edit to add: you asked where I lived - I was in Lenexa - thus Panzon's and Tanner's only blocks from my house . . .

Last edited by brokensky; 05-27-2008 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Edit: add info

Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
My first month here was my toughest before I began work. Too much idle time, get one to become homesick. I adjusted pretty well by meeting people at random. It is so easy to see one's license plate and strike up conversation. Since, I live in a complex and see people at random, it was pretty easy to meet people. Most of my new friends are from NYC or the vicinity. I've met some great women at the law firm and we do things outside of the office. Having a network of strong women in my circle who embraced me and my daughter has been wonderful. Been here almost a year beginning June 8th and feels Charlotte is definitely my home.

I went home this past holiday weekend and couldn't wait to get back to my new home. I truly love Charlotte and what it offers. I miss NYC and the great food and shopping, but this could be done on a long weekend.

My routine is pretty basic. I work out 5 days a week and still find time to meet friends for fun. If I had to name my favorite place it would be GW Fins and McCormick because I love seafood. We go to church nearly every Sunday and brunch after. I love the fact that I live in a stroll of the Arboreteum--a big factor when I decided to plant seeds. Having a teen without a car, at least she could walk from our complex and hang out with friends.

Good luck and adjusting will take time, but it will become routine.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 AM

Great suggestions, ARussell! With your wonderful and outgoing personality, I am sure you have been able to form a support system and put down roots. I think, as you mentioned, that your location has been invaluable, too, allowing your daughter to meet up w/ others her age.

It seems several people have mentioned "getting into a routine," and you emphasized that as well. Plus w/ your church attendance, that not only gives some structure to the weekend, that can be yet another support system and a way to meet new people and mesh into a community.

So glad things have worked out for you here!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:39 AM

329 posts, read 1,271,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hey there, KSChick!!! You are gonna be fine when you get here . . . plus your visits back will help you form a "bridge" to keep your former life connected w/ your present one. I feel you are going to have a very smooth transition! Sure hope so!

I loved Tanner's!!! Loved the very very laid back atmosphere. You can't be too uptight when it is 10 below, hee hee, and everyone comes in the place looking like Nanook of the North. Enjoyed hanging out to watch the Chiefs or basketball . . . or to have one of their great burgers or steaks! Just have not been able to duplicate that here. I have been very lucky to find a tavern nearby . . .but the food is a lot more expensive, style is just not as laid back . . . I am sure you know what I mean. Just a different vibe . . . So I miss Tanner's, big time . . .and also Panzon's - great Mexican food, terrific atmosphere and prices about half what I pay here . . . Some of my clients called me this week while having lunch at Panzon's!!! Now that was cruel! LOL!!!

Hope you have a good visit for your friend's party . . .

Edit to add: you asked where I lived - I was in Lenexa - thus Panzon's and Tanner's only blocks from my house . . .
Small world, for some reason I was thinking it might be Tanner's and that exact one too. Maybe you did mention you where used to live in Lenexa. It is right down the street from the office. I work at 99th and Pflumm. I love Tanner's food specials. Very laid back. Love their original Chicken Lips and jalapeno cheese balls - not the healthiest - but yummy! Their steaks and burgers are aweseme too of course. Maybe I can bring you a Tanner's T-Shirt or something when I move I know I will be bringing a lot of plastic Tanner's cups (and cups from other local establishments I like) I think that will help me too - bringing little pieces of stuff that reminds me of home. I go up there for trivia on Sunday's and Tuesday's sometimes. Love Panzon's too.

Actually, one of my very first jobs after moving to the KC area out of college was at the 87th St Tanners - way back in 90 Don't know if you knew the owners - but working there I obviously do. Still the same manager and see one of the other owners out regularly.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:43 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
What helped me adjust was meeting a lot of people, including my fiance. Also, the things from the north and everyone from WNY and Michigan helped adjust too.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 AM

329 posts, read 1,271,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
What helped me adjust was meeting a lot of people, including my fiance. Also, the things from the north and everyone from WNY and Michigan helped adjust too.
I agree with having things around that remind you of back home are good. Like the spirit of family, friends and the familurarity of back home are with you. I have some family heirlooms and also will have some sunflowers to remind me of Kansas

Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasChick View Post
Small world, for some reason I was thinking it might be Tanner's and that exact one too. Maybe you did mention you where used to live in Lenexa. It is right down the street from the office. I work at 99th and Pflumm. I love Tanner's food specials. Very laid back. Love their original Chicken Lips and jalapeno cheese balls - not the healthiest - but yummy! Their steaks and burgers are aweseme too of course. Maybe I can bring you a Tanner's T-Shirt or something when I move I know I will be bringing a lot of plastic Tanner's cups (and cups from other local establishments I like) I think that will help me too - bringing little pieces of stuff that reminds me of home. I go up there for trivia on Sunday's and Tuesday's sometimes. Love Panzon's too.

Actually, one of my very first jobs after moving to the KC area out of college was at the 87th St Tanners - way back in 90 Don't know if you knew the owners - but working there I obviously do. Still the same manager and see one of the other owners out regularly.
WOW - it is a small world! Yeah, I would like to transport Tanner's here. I think it would go over BIG!!! I did meet the owners, but only b/c I was introduced - we did not know them socially. We might have crossed paths there!!! We would go over at least once a week, plus our kids loved it there. Holidays w/ kids in from college (and blizzards!!!) - we were all crowded into Tanner's, LOL!!! And Panzon's - weekly meal there, whether for lunch or in the evenings. I have tried out all the Mexican food establishments around me and the quality is NOT the same - plus the prices are higher here. I keep saying that and everyone tells me the prices are not bad, but I guess I am "comparing" - wh/ is what one should not do, Hee Hee.

I really do understand how it is to move somewhere new and miss things . . . I do not find it odd at all when newcomers want to know - where are my Bagles!!! Where is my pizza!!! I miss my hair stylist! I miss my grocery store!!! I totally get it. I have been here going on six years now and a week doesn't go by that I don't think about Tanner's and Panzon's. I have moved on to other "good finds" here (my seafood restaurant) but every time I go back to KC - I have to head to JoCo and my favorite hangouts, LOL!!!!

That is why memories b/cm precious . . . and new places - an adventure!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 AM

26 posts, read 82,177 times
Hi All. My wife, son and I are planning to re-locate to Charlotte from CT hopefully this summer. My wife and I came down in December for the Bowl game and fell in love with the city. The suggestions and stories here are a great help. We plan to rent at first, to be able to learn about the city and have time to choose where where would like to buy our house. I am not used to city life though, I come from cow country where the only lights on at night are the ones you pay for. Does anyone have any suggestions on good, family orientated neighborhoods in or close by to the city?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinacj View Post
Hi All. My wife, son and I are planning to re-locate to Charlotte from CT hopefully this summer. My wife and I came down in December for the Bowl game and fell in love with the city. The suggestions and stories here are a great help. We plan to rent at first, to be able to learn about the city and have time to choose where where would like to buy our house. I am not used to city life though, I come from cow country where the only lights on at night are the ones you pay for. Does anyone have any suggestions on good, family orientated neighborhoods in or close by to the city?
Well, depends on whether you are looking for a place that fits that description to rent in . . . or whether you want to look for something to buy in eventually . . . and how much $$ you have to work with. I think Belmont is neat . . .and nice areas around Concord and Cornelius . . . may find something around Troutman and/or Mooresville . . . maybe down in SC around Ft. Mill, Clover, Rock Hill . . . maybe out in Union County . . . so a lot of areas. Just depends on where you have to commute to . . .and price range. But I feel sure you can find something that you will like . . . just may not have a lot of land with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte