Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:40 AM

33 posts, read 189,509 times

Advertisements

First I want to say thank you so much to everyone who contributes to this forum. I have found out so much helpful information here!

Background info:
I thought I'd "jump in here" to ask for some help on my research. We are a family that consists of myself, my husband and our 2 kids ages 10 and 5. We currently live in Goshen, NY and love it. But, after having a very bad car accident(all of us were in our SUV and flipped over several times) my husband was injured badly. He currently commutes into the city for work(1 hour 15 mins. each way with no traffic) and he has had enough of it all. His injuries prevent him from doing his job fully, and we are just sick of the high cost of living, high taxes, and paying so much for a tiny house. We are also tired of all the snow and because of our injuries from the accident, shoveling is very painful. Within a few years my mother will be relocating(probably to NC) and my husbands mother and brother live in Florida. So, it would be sad to leave the rest of our family behind, but we aren't that close to them for it to stop us from making the move.

Criteria for a place to live:
We love a small town(where we are now there is no more than 13,000 people) but love to have major shopping, mall, movies nearby.(no more than 15 mins. away) Obviously we want to be in a safe area with excellent schools. We would like to live in a subdivision, have a little land(not too much) but not be on top of our neighbors house. We would want a new 4 bedroom house, 2 and a half baths with maybe a bonus room over the garage, but not a huge house, maybe no more than 2500 sq. ft. We would like to pay cash for a house so we would want to find something between $250,000 to $300,000. We really think the Charlotte(suburbs outside the city) area is perfect for us from what I've gathered during my research.

Finally my question...
Can anyone recommend a town that might be good for us? I was thinking Weddington because of the schools, but I don't think with our budget we could find a new house? I'm also thinking Union County in general would be a good fit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading my long post!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 07:49 AM

126 posts, read 412,081 times
You may want to look into Waxhaw, Fort Mill, Indian Trail for starters. That price will get you in there.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 AM

513 posts, read 2,111,280 times
Some subdivisions to look at are Lawson, Cureton, The Reserve, Hunter Oaks, Callonwood, Chestnut Oaks. Try doing a search on the 28104 and 28173 zip codes.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:09 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,413 times
If you only want new, I would say Indian Trail or Fort Mill.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
You won't find a new house with any real land around it in ft. Ill for your price range. I was just down there and the new areas under $400K were cookie-cutter and on top of each other. Even the $500K areas were cookie-cutter (but a better cutter).

Old 05-26-2008, 07:54 PM

33 posts, read 189,509 times
Thanks for the suggestions!

We don't need a lot of property, quarter of an acre will do fine. My husband just hates having a house so close. For example, I can sneeze in my house and my neighbor will say "God bless you!" LOL

I really don't want to go over our budget because I want to be living completely debt free. Am I kidding myself to think I can get a new house in our price range in a safe area with great schools?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 PM

56 posts, read 160,882 times
I have a home in Matthews that we are selling by owner. It's a bit above your price range but it has everything you are looking for. Matthews is a great little town but it's in Mecklenburg county. Our home is in the best school district in the county and you can walk to the elementary school. Message me if you are interested.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:34 PM

316 posts, read 394,923 times
Huntersville - It is awesome and we have a lake near by - oh and it is safe and last year was listed one of the best places to live in America!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:01 AM

18 posts, read 85,491 times
I live in Indian Land, it is right down the road from Ballantyne. The area is great, the schools are great and Charlotte is only 5 minutes away. It is right in your price range and it is a great area...I have been there for about 5 years. It is a Fort Mill address but it is Lancaster county. The taxes are much lower than Meck county. I paid less than $700 for my $145,000 house last year.There are many new sub-divisions going up in the area. Check Doby's Bridge Road and Shelley Mullis Road.Good Luck!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 AM

33 posts, read 83,630 times
I live in Matthews and love it. There are several homes and neighborhoods that you could choose from in your price range. I would suggest Indain Trail, Matthews or Mint Hill - very convenient to shopping with great schools. Moderator cut: soliciting not permitted

Last edited by autumngal; 05-27-2008 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte