U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 04:15 PM

51 posts, read 145,854 times

Advertisements

Hi all:
Husband and I are considering a move to Charlotte. We currently live in Montgomery, and although I love this area, my husband is not entirely fond of Cincinnati. I love Montgomery for its sense of community, EXCELLENT schools WITH lots of diversity, tree lined streets (I don't like the treeless suburbs of Mason), 25-30 minute commute to downtown Cincinnati and excellent community programs for children (i.e. soccer, lacrosse, football, swimming, art, etc). We visited friends in Mooresville recently, and although lovely, was too far from Charlotte, not very diverse, and almost treeless. I don't mind new construction, but prefer staid neighborhoods with some character. However, that is negotiable if I can find a great area with fantastic schools and a diverse population. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 04:44 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitnguye View Post
Hi all:
Husband and I are considering a move to Charlotte. We currently live in Montgomery, and although I love this area, my husband is not entirely fond of Cincinnati. I love Montgomery for its sense of community, EXCELLENT schools WITH lots of diversity, tree lined streets (I don't like the treeless suburbs of Mason), 25-30 minute commute to downtown Cincinnati and excellent community programs for children (i.e. soccer, lacrosse, football, swimming, art, etc). We visited friends in Mooresville recently, and although lovely, was too far from Charlotte, not very diverse, and almost treeless. I don't mind new construction, but prefer staid neighborhoods with some character. However, that is negotiable if I can find a great area with fantastic schools and a diverse population. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

You must include your price range for people to best be able to help you.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:07 PM

Sorry about that. Price range would be in the 600K - 800K. I am fully aware that I'll be able to find plenty of neighborhoods in great school districts in that price range. However, I don't want to be in a lilly white neighborhood either. Montgomery homes range from 300K - 1.5 million, but is racially diverse (75% white, 8% black, 11% asian, 2% latino, 4.5% mixed race). Also, I am looking for a very strong sense of community with deep pride in the school district and family oriented activities. And trees! Lots of trees! We also don't mind buying an older, dated house and remodeling.

Thanks again

Old 05-26-2008, 05:13 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitnguye View Post
Sorry about that. Price range would be in the 600K - 800K. I am fully aware that I'll be able to find plenty of neighborhoods in great school districts in that price range. However, I don't want to be in a lilly white neighborhood either. Montgomery homes range from 300K - 1.5 million, but is racially diverse (75% white, 8% black, 11% asian, 2% latino, 4.5% mixed race). Also, I am looking for a very strong sense of community with deep pride in the school district and family oriented activities. And trees! Lots of trees! We also don't mind buying an older, dated house and remodeling.

Thanks again
Kit, your very best bets are several of Charlotte's oldest neighborhoods - they are all very desirable and in your price range you can just squeeze into one of them. Start looking at Elizabeth, Myers Park (will be harder under 1 million) and Dilworth. They are all on the fringes of uptown Charlotte, VERY TREED, with diverse schools. Let me know what else I can tell you

ps, I'm going to send you some links on dm just so you'll see some of the kinds of homes there are are in these fantastic neighborhoods

Old 05-27-2008, 05:43 AM

How are lot sizes in those areas? Can you get homes on 1/3 - 1/2 acre, or is the neighborhood too urban to have large lot sizes? Any other suggestions from others?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:06 AM

33 posts, read 74,202 times
Myers Park and Dilworth are very lovely and have bunches of trees. These are two of the most upscale neighborhoods in Charlotte. You can get homes on 1/3 - 1/2 acres in both places. I would also check in the Waxhaw/Weddington area - very nice areas that are very family friendly - with a great athletic association. Moderator cut: soliciting not permitted

Last edited by autumngal; 05-27-2008 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or