Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 AM

32 posts, read 70,690 times

Advertisements

now I am scared, it seems like a wonderful neighborhood and I was (am) so happy with the house.... is this still a good area, despite the recent burglaries? your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
It's a great area! Please understand - the crime has been episodic and perpetrated by a specific group of thugs. We are working hard to get the thugs off the streets, and homeowners are now more aware of home safety issues - wh/ is a GOOD thing. We have gotten complacent about crime here in S. CLT, especially - as this has always been the "safe haven" here in CLT. Thugs figured out we have electronics and are "easy pickins'" in our upscale neighborhoods . . . so they followed the money. Not surprising!!! Why bother to break in a house if you are not expecting a big haul - you have to think like a criminal to fight crime - and that is how they think - they go for the "good stuff."

Law enforcement is taking this seriously, homeowners are taking this seriously. Many of us got complacent . . . crime can happen anywhere . . . so the attitude about being safe, taken precaution and noticing what is going on in neighborhoods has changed. People are being proactive.

Crime is going to go down here, I truly believe, b/c people are not going to sit back and be victims. The thugs are seeing this. They know law enforcement - as well as our citizens - are not going to sit here and take it. We are getting the thugs off our streets.

Just come here, enjoy your home and get to know your neighbors. If you don't have a security system, get one installed. The best deterrent to crime is when criminals figure out that people are noticing what is going on around them. The thugs are seeing that we are not going to allow them to invade our space. I suspect these concerns about crime are going to be a thing of the past just a few months down the road.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:57 AM

Default THANKS Ani :)

I do love the house and the area (close to the arboretum & Trader Joes!)

I plan on being very proactive with security and in neighborhood watch ... and knowing my neighbors as I have here in Miami....

Thanks for the reassurance, I do appreciate it and cannot wait to join you guys (ahem, Gals) for your ladies nights that I've read about

Need to meet Loves Mountains who has been wonderful for the last few months of me preparing for the move...

c'ya soon neighbor

Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiep View Post
I do love the house and the area (close to the arboretum & Trader Joes!)

I plan on being very proactive with security and in neighborhood watch ... and knowing my neighbors as I have here in Miami....

Thanks for the reassurance, I do appreciate it and cannot wait to join you guys (ahem, Gals) for your ladies nights that I've read about

Need to meet Loves Mountains who has been wonderful for the last few months of me preparing for the move...

c'ya soon neighbor

I think you will be very happy here! Nice, convenient area to live in . . . lots of close by amenities, lovely neighborhoods . . . you will be fine. You are coming from the really big city of Miami . . . if you managed to stay safe there, you will have no problem here!

Let us know what else we can do to help you w/ your transition here.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 AM

Smile :)

I am so looking forward to living there, my husband is there already (working and staying with friends). Every visit I've had was great and last time I was there I really tried to see how it would be commuting to shops, work etc from that house (our new home) & it just seemed "right"...

never really thought to much about crime, but so much is brought up on the boards that I became paranoid....I want to be aware & educated, and not become overly preoccupied and lose perspective.

everyone has been a great help, on here as well as my realtor there who has become a good friend....

I really am excited and optimistic about making our new home in SE Charlotte

Old 05-27-2008, 08:14 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Billie I just moved up from Miami myself. Although Im more north of you in Concord, CLT has been a great choice. If you use common sense and protect your home with an alarm, etc you'll be fine. Enjoy your new house!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:20 AM

Default Thanks Himain

That's our plan

where did you move from? how long have you been in Charlotte?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:23 AM

Default Sorry, saw Miami....

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Billie I just moved up from Miami myself. Although Im more north of you in Concord, CLT has been a great choice. If you use common sense and protect your home with an alarm, etc you'll be fine. Enjoy your new house!!!
I am in the Aventura/Highland Lakes area....

Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 AM

183 posts, read 567,118 times
Default Im from Miami

And grew up in Aventura/Highland lakes--I went to NMB SR High and grew up in Oak Forest--right off Ives Dairy Rd. I LOOOVVVEEE it here in Charlotte, and Ilived in S Fla for 33 years!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:45 AM

Cool crippus

I really think I am going to looovvee charlotte too!

what area of Charlotte are you in? How long have you been there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte