U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,821,470 times

Advertisements

Yes, meeting with CPI on Friday for the alarm. There will be street lights but thats down the line. This community is brand new and theres only 6 houses out of 200 planned built right now. The builder is going to try and have either sherriff or private security out there for the next week or so until we can get out there on the 15th.

My man concern is gradually moving my stuff in with new w/d and appliances and getting hit again. SO if you guys here on the news about some dead robbers in a house in concord, you know who it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:09 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
I agree with Ani. I move to the area next Monday. I had CPI install my system a month ago in my new house. Of course, you will need to have your phone hooked up as well. I suppose new, unguarded neighborhoods are targets. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,367,303 times
Sorry himain for your bad luck. When (if) they catch the thieves, they need to scratch the floor with their heads!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:42 PM

755 posts, read 2,241,935 times
I'm really sorry this happened to you. Thieves often target houses under construction. I don't think this necessarily means you are more at-risk after you move in, but I'd definitely have a security system.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:47 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,660,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I thought we had caught up w/ the thugs who had been breaking into homes and stealing appliances. Wonder if they let them back out on the streets again.

Himain - I can't believe it!!!!! This is ridiculous.

There are probably more than just a few people committing these crimes.

Also a new house on a dark street by itself with no lights on or anything is a prime target for thieves.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:26 PM

32 posts, read 64,960 times
oh no, i am sorry to hear that....i hope everything gets worked out

Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 PM

36 posts, read 210,749 times
As it's been explained to me by many of the alarm companies I talked to before selecting Brinks - you can not be directly alarmed to the police station. The police require that your alarm company place a call to the residence and if there is no response or the correct password isn't give when the phone is answered, they dispatch the police.

Don't love the system, but that's what's available locally. We live in Plaza Midwood and most of our neighbors also leave their floodlights on every evening to help with the car problems we have in addition to the occasion daytime home robbery.

Sorry you've experienced these problems - we also were welcomed to our neighborhood within weeks with someone breaking into our vehicles (in our driveway). I hope our new police chief has some impact.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:26 PM

672 posts, read 1,646,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The builder has to replace everything as we have not closed on it yet. We went there and expressed our extreme displeasure on the fact that there is no security there at night. (no one is living there now and we would be first ones) It is extremely dark at night so its a prime target. We would not be moving in until 6/15 and asked what they are going to do to protect our house because we are worried that they will replace appliances and then we'll close and get hit again and then we'll have to get our insurance involved. I've already got a call into CPI but again we won't be living there physically yet until 15th.
Himain, first of all I have to say you are very wise to go with CPI. They are the best of the best around here, and if your home is broken into when you are a resident, they are great. Sorry all your appliances were stolen. This isn't anything new. When we moved into our home, we were one of the few residents in this part of the development at the time. Before we even moved in though, the copper pipes had been stolen and ripped out of our walls, the box for our gas heat had also been stolen. Then since no one was living around us yet, many fridges were stolen all around us, and the thieves did a lot of damage inside the homes. Yes, it isn't unusual for appliances to be stolen from the same house over and over either. These developments are hot spots, I would lay into the builder about security, or atleast some kind of security camera system.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM

7,181 posts, read 11,197,686 times
Geesh Himain, this has been one heckuva relocation for you folks! Sorry to hear about this setback. Hope it all works out for you soon.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:19 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,895,906 times
Since no one lived there I figure the police will threat this as a "victimless" crime, i.e. low priority if it gets on the radar at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or