U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,584,685 times

Advertisements

This was already posted in the Education forum but I thought I'd bring it here in case you folks don't visit that area. What do you guys think?

Charlotte Local News | Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/638372.html - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 06:54 AM

578 posts, read 2,355,932 times
I understand this was against policy, but I think there was a bit of overreaction....

Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 AM

513 posts, read 1,915,170 times
I don't think it was an over reaction at all. First of all, a child could have had an allergic reaction. Second, one of these kids could have already had vitamins at home, so this could have led to an overdose. Iron overdoses are very dangerous in kids. Third, if this teacher thinks it's OK to give any medicine to a child without parental permission, he is completely out of line. Some teachers get these poor kids so stressed over the EOG's, and this incident proves that. It starts kids thinking they need some kind of pill to be successful. It's one thing for parents to give vitamins at home, which is obviously beneficial. It's another for a teacher to give them out saying they must have them to succeed. An eight or nine year old doesn't understand the difference between pills, and they sure don't need that kind of pressure on a test in 3rd grade!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 AM

14 posts, read 74,029 times
as someone who works within the nc school system, i can understand how the stress and pressure of the eog could cause a teacher to do something like this. however, i am not condoning it. i don't believe the teacher had any malicious intent, but it was a dangerous decision. that teacher could have given a student something they were allergic to. that teacher could have given that student something their body could have reacted to. it is unfortunate that this teacher felt that the only way he could be considered successful was by having all of his students pass the eog. i think the whole testing environment causes not only teachers but students as well to act in ways the normally wouldn't. hopefully we will all come to our senses and realize that this pressure cooker called testing needs to be handled differently, or disappear alltogether.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:16 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,135,316 times
I think it is a sad commentary on how ridiculous things have gotten w/ testing. I think the teacher had a lapse in judgment. I don't think it warrants losing his job. In most jobs, HR will even work w/ employees if they have a drug/alcohol addiction. Even physicians can keep their licenses if they have a drug/alcohol addiction and go into treatment. How much MORE serious is it to have an employee - or a physician - w/ a drug addiction who is allowed to continue in his/her job? Seems we set the standards awfully high w/ a teacher who had a lapse in judgment and caused no harm. Yes, it COULD have been disastrous, but it wasn't. So reprimand the teacher, make sure he understands the parameters of his personal authority in the classroom, and move on. If any of you have managed employees, you know that people screw up and have to be reprimanded ("written up") for various infractions. However, screwing up, when it has caused no irreparable harm, should not necessarily mean you are fired. This teacher felt he would get no support from his school system. That, in itself, is sad.

It seems we have double standards. The education system puts both our children and our teachers into this "boiling pot" situation w/ testing . . . causing immense stress for the kids as well as the teachers . . . and then when the children get upset and stressed - or the teacher makes a bad decision - we are all quick to point fingers at what is "wrong" (not meaning any poster here - just talking in general).

I personally think these tests are cruel and unusual punishment, LOL. I have heard horror stories from parents about how stressed out their kids are in re: to the tests. I do not think this is the way to foster "love of learning" in children, and it sure is a huge challenge to the teachers - who will be assessed as "lacking" if all the children don't do well. What a terrible way to "teach!" All this does is encourage teachers to "teach to the test" and encourages children to dread testing!!! I think it is a horrible system and should be re-vamped entirely. I, personally, do not do well on standardized tests - never have - yet have several degrees and love to learn. I just hate tests (other than essays). So I know how stressful this is - to both teachers and students.

Our educational system in this country is waaaaay out of whack. Underpaid teachers who are expected to perform miracles . . . and then are castigated when they do something questionable (even tho it harmed no one in this instance). Pretty crazy, if you ask me.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,308,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
I understand this was against policy, but I think there was a bit of overreaction....
I don't think this is an overreaction at all.. One of the things our school does, when the students have these kind of tests, is offer free breakfast at school the morning of the test. That way you know the kids will be able to focus on the test.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 AM

14 posts, read 32,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think it is a sad commentary on how ridiculous things have gotten w/ testing. I think the teacher had a lapse in judgment. I don't think it warrants losing his job. In most jobs, HR will even work w/ employees if they have a drug/alcohol addiction. Even physicians can keep their licenses if they have a drug/alcohol addiction and go into treatment. How much MORE serious is it to have an employee - or a physician - w/ a drug addiction who is allowed to continue in his/her job? Seems we set the standards awfully high w/ a teacher who had a lapse in judgment and caused no harm. Yes, it COULD have been disastrous, but it wasn't. So reprimand the teacher, make sure he understands the parameters of his personal authority in the classroom, and move on. If any of you have managed employees, you know that people screw up and have to be reprimanded ("written up") for various infractions. However, screwing up, when it has caused no irreparable harm, should not necessarily mean you are fired. This teacher felt he would get no support from his school system. That, in itself, is sad.

It seems we have double standards. The education system puts both our children and our teachers into this "boiling pot" situation w/ testing . . . causing immense stress for the kids as well as the teachers . . . and then when the children get upset and stressed - or the teacher makes a bad decision - we are all quick to point fingers at what is "wrong" (not meaning any poster here - just talking in general).

I personally think these tests are cruel and unusual punishment, LOL. I have heard horror stories from parents about how stressed out their kids are in re: to the tests. I do not think this is the way to foster "love of learning" in children, and it sure is a huge challenge to the teachers - who will be assessed as "lacking" if all the children don't do well. What a terrible way to "teach!" All this does is encourage teachers to "teach to the test" and encourages children to dread testing!!! I think it is a horrible system and should be re-vamped entirely. I, personally, do not do well on standardized tests - never have - yet have several degrees and love to learn. I just hate tests (other than essays). So I know how stressful this is - to both teachers and students.

Our educational system in this country is waaaaay out of whack. Underpaid teachers who are expected to perform miracles . . . and then are castigated when they do something questionable (even tho it harmed no one in this instance). Pretty crazy, if you ask me.
Great post - you echo my sentiments on this.

This EOG craziness is just ridiculous. My children all have averages in every subject in the high 90's but we still get the letter stating if they dont pass the EOG tests (after multiple tries) that they will have to attend summer school, or worse, repeat their grade.

Add to it that schools spend the last few months teaching the students how to pass a test, rather than actually teaching them their subjects. Bottom line: this system is grossly out of whack.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:31 AM

362 posts, read 899,314 times
What are the EOG tests for? I'm guessing they are administered at the end of the grade to assess proficiency. But are there ramifications to either student or teacher if students don't do well? Are children left back? In NJ we have the NJ ASK which is a standardized test given each year. But nothing happens to either student or teacher if a child doesn't do well. Yes the school wants the test scores up there so they can tout how good they are but that is it. There is a test given at the end of eighth grade that students must pass and also at the end of their junior year of high school.

I personally can't stand these standardized tests and was quite impressed when I read that Wake Forest will no longer require SAT/ACT.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,135,316 times
I am very very concerned about what is going on in schools today. Children have so many resources available! But the methodologies for teaching have changed very little over the last century.

Stressing kids out w/ these tests when they have maintained an average or above grade point is ridiculous. Children should not feel threatened. Learning should be a joy, not a punishment or based on threats. Different children learn at a different pace; we know this. We can even map, through MRI, different areas of the brain and how they develop . . . Children should learn at their own pace, but our system is not set up for that. It is one massive Cattle Call and innovative teachers are rarely rewarded. The pay is low here in this state to begin with, making it a career field that is not the most compelling. We expect teachers to be "dedicated" and then are quick to judge them when they make a mistake, even a small one.

Yes, this teacher had a lapse in judgment. But if he is reviewed by his peers and his principal as being an effective teacher, then the community should allow him the same respect the rest of us get out in the "working world," wh/ is . . . a reprimand and a refresher course in what is allowable and not allowable . . . and end of subject.

There is a lot more wrong w/ our education system in this country than a teacher who screws up and gives a child a vitamin on the day of a test.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 AM

7,930 posts, read 17,785,408 times
the NJ ask's are a joke no offense and the EOG;S here are ridiculous as not every child can test well..I know mine cant, and well I hope and pray he doesnt fail even though his average overall in all classes is an 88....go figure...we get the results tomorrow..my son is in Middle School..

But back to the original thread: I have to agree this is NOT over reacting by any means, It isnt the Teachers responsiblity to be giving out anything to those students that isnt paperwork or school approved...Apparently this guy wasnt thinking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or