U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:56 AM

476 posts, read 1,452,632 times

Advertisements

Hello all and Happy New Year! I cannot tell you how excited I am about this message board. We have been contemplating a move to Union County, NC for almost a year. And were determined to put those plans in motion after the first of the new year. We have researched schools and housing communites and are pretty positive that Union County is for us. My husband is a computer programmer and will most likely be looking to work in Uptown Charlotte. Our first hurdle is him finding the job. He does not currently work with a company that he can transfer with so we are starting from scratch. We have dreamed of moving south for many years and have put it off because of his current job security, pay, benefits, etc. Well waiting for every thing to fall into place perfectly will never happen so we are now taking the plunge. Does anyone know of any head hunters/recruiters in the area in the computer field that we may contact to get us started. My husband is a lot more shy and less outgoing than I which also proves somewhat of a challenge. He is absolute fantastic at what he does, he is just much more nervous and cautious than I. Thanks for letting me go on and on. No around us know of our decision just yet so it has been great to be able to talk about openly. Thanks again.

Last edited by miklaur; 01-05-2007 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 08:21 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
Hello all and Happy New Year! I cannot tell you how excited I am about this message board. We have been contemplating a move to Union County, NC for almost a year. And were determined to put those plans in motion after the first of the new year. We have researched schools and housing communites and are pretty positive that Union County is for us. My husband is a computer programmer and will most likely be looking to work in Uptown Charlotte. Our first hurdle is him finding the job. He does not currently work with a company that he can transfer with so we are starting from scratch. We have dreamed of moving south for many years and have put it off because of his current job security, pay, benefits, etc. Well waiting for every thing to fall into place perfectly will never happen so we are now taking the plunge. Does anyone know of any head hunters/recruiters in the area in the computer field that we may contact to get us started. My husband is a lot more shy and less outgoing than I which also proves somewhat of a challenge. He is absolute fantastic at what he does, he is just much more nervous and cautious than I. Thanks for letting me go on and on. No around us know of our decision just yet so it has been great to be able to talk about openly. Thanks again.

Try contacting Ajilon Consulting - they place people with your husbands experience. Best of luck to you!!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:31 AM

Thank you so much for such a fast response. I feel like we are really on our way.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:38 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,554,337 times
Hey, I sent you a PM with contact info for headhunters Best of luck to you!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:39 AM

7,930 posts, read 17,789,924 times
LOVES you are too funny..they already have interveiw for my dh. Ask For Chris umm I will get you his last name...he works for ajlion and a great guy right now people are getting back to the swing of things so it will be another few weeks before companies start looking to hire with their new budget and all, just be patient and it will come..there are alot of jobs for your husband in that field in charlotte however he is going to have to get over his shyness especially if he is looking in another state Good Luck to you ..my hubby used to hire consultants from there in NY and was well aware of them MIK
my dh is also NOT relocating with his job, so we too are starting from scratch, my husband is in IT on the business and operations side...Management, and we have seen a nice amount of activity already....however alot of companies there do consulting then hire full time as well as some of them want you to be local..my husband has quiet a few contacts in the business so we are hoping that will help..its not what u know these days its who u know...so we are hoping that we can make this move at the end of the school year here in jersey we too are going to buy in Union County...

Old 01-05-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Thank you so much....

I am already overwhelmed with the welcoming response my first post has received. Thank you so much for the encouragemnt. I have been reading posts all morning and was starting to get a bit nervous at how long the job hunt will take. You post is inspiring. My husband will not be happy that I put down he was shy and not as agressive as I so I should clarify a bit. I am definitely more the pit bull but I have every confidence he will do all he needs to to get this ball rolling and I have been told by HR professionals that he does interview very well. I am just so used to being the one to get things done and where his job is concerned, there is only so much I can do. Thanks again for all of your advice and encouragement.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:07 AM

ahh Mik that is ok im sure your hubby is a great guy...besides shy isnt always such a bad thing, and well my hubby is somewhat aggressive but Im very much like you so I can relate..keep us posted with his search and your move...good luck....

Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
LOVES you are too funny..they already have interveiw for my dh. Ask For Chris umm I will get you his last name...he works for ajlion and a great guy right now people are getting back to the swing of things so it will be another few weeks before companies start looking to hire with their new budget and all, just be patient and it will come..there are alot of jobs for your husband in that field in charlotte however he is going to have to get over his shyness especially if he is looking in another state Good Luck to you ..my hubby used to hire consultants from there in NY and was well aware of them MIK
my dh is also NOT relocating with his job, so we too are starting from scratch, my husband is in IT on the business and operations side...Management, and we have seen a nice amount of activity already....however alot of companies there do consulting then hire full time as well as some of them want you to be local..my husband has quiet a few contacts in the business so we are hoping that will help..its not what u know these days its who u know...so we are hoping that we can make this move at the end of the school year here in jersey we too are going to buy in Union County...

This is great news Stacie! Hope Ajilon gets your hubby just the right job
You are correct about many companies first hiring people as contractors before the do a full hire. Don't let this scare any of you, it is very common here.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:50 AM

32 posts, read 84,043 times
You might consider York County SC or Waxhaw area for relocation. Traffic from Union County (Monroe area) is getting terrible.

Bank Of America and Wachovia hire quite a few programmers here. Something to consider. I know several folks in this field that are working for them.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:03 PM

to tell u the truth my dh prefers contracting than full time, so i guess what ever happens will happen...my dh has been in contact with wachovia and bank of america..The traffic will be bad everyone in the near future...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or