U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:39 PM

314 posts, read 581,945 times

Advertisements

I'm from north of Boston...moved here Sept.2006 and love it. It is a great place to raise a family. You get more house for the money here but as previously posted the cost of other things is more expensive. Take milk for example...here it is $3.89 at Sam's club (and that's a steal) or at Target it it $4 and change...some places more....I dont know what it is now in MA but it was more like $2 and change there....funny seeing I could jump the fence where I live now and milk some cows!
My sister recently visited and she thought it was so cool to just be driving down to the store and see horses, cows, farms, corn growing....we are from the city so that just seems so cool to us!
People have been so nice here...strangers wave and smile instead of avoiding eye contact or ignoring you (at least thats how it was where I used to live)
But honestly I encourage anyone to give it a shot here....maybe rent first? Learn the areas and then buy or build.
Feel free to ask me any questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 10,489 times
Hey dbansal, so you're from Reading? Wicked pissa!
Yeah, I've been hearing that the cost of everything else seems to be higher which makes me worry if we will be able to afford the move. The housing market up here is dropping like a stone -- down about 20% in the past year. The list price of our house dropped 5K in one week! But yet we're hearing that the market down there is up about 3.4% We're looking to buy in South Charlotte -- I think the zip codes are like 28226 and 28277? I'm just wondering how the prices are for other things like electricity, heat/air conditioning, car insurance, and the other necessities.

People do seem much nicer and friendlier down there and the pace seems more relaxed. We are really looking for a better quality of life and a neighborhood/community for our daughter -- something we can't afford up here in the great white north!

Oh, yeah and GO Sox!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:31 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,700,825 times
I have noticed that the price of milk here in Fla seems to have doubled over th last 6 months even though I drink soy milk (don't know why I told you that). Some of the high cost may have to do with recent price raises.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:00 PM

444 posts, read 1,488,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapangel View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the responses! We are presently living in Haverhill, I work in Andover and my daughter goes to private school in Andover. My husband works out of the house. We visit Charlotte for 7-10 days every year. My in-laws have a river house on Lake Wylie and they and my sister-in-law live in Charlotte. We would like to put our house on the market and move down near my sister-in-law, but the housing market up here is just awful! We had a real estate broker in last night and he's telling us we can barely get what the house is worth up here. That would be fine if we knew what we could get for a house down there, but we keep getting so much different info about the housing market in Charlotte. Also, did you find the general cost of living to be higher or lower, as we keep getting conflicting reports about that as well. I know food costs are higher, but how about everything else? Thanks!
I have lived at Lake Wylie for about ten years and have loved every minute of it. The lake is awesome and the people in that area are very friendly. In fact, we recently sold our house to someone who lives just outside of Boston.

If you are interested in finding out about the cost of housing and have a general idea of what you are looking for you can go into a site CarolinaHome.com and put in search by area. Lake Wylie is area 15
and the sub areas are either in NC or SC. Then just put in what you are interested in buying criteria and the results will pop up. Let me know if you have problems getting the site to work.

SC taxes are less expensive and the schools are better.

Wish you lots of luck in your search and hope you will let us know if any of us a City Data can be of help.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 10,489 times
Yes, we love Lake Wylie too! Actually, I have no doubt that we will like it there. The real concern for us at this point is financial and making a good move for our daughter. We have heard that SC is less expensive and that the Fort Mill area is good for schools. I would like to ask anyone that has relocated to the Charlotte area with elementary age kids from MA what their opinion is of the schools -- MA vs NC or SC. Since every state is different, there is no countrywide testing standard. Of course, those of us from MA are all too aware of the MCAS debacle!! I just want to make it a positive experience for her if possible, as moving is difficult enough -- also, she'll have this wicked Boston accent!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:02 AM

86 posts, read 186,294 times
My family and I are planning a move out of MA in June. We live in Waltham. Did you all find work before moving down? It seems like such a huge task...finding the right community, housing, etc. I am just looking for helpful hints on how you all made the move.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:16 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,979,162 times
Quote:
... I know food costs are higher...
Not so sure about this. You may have read posts over the past couple of years about folks saying, "Wow, the food costs here are higher than where I lived". But what has happened is that food costs have steadily gone up everywhere. So if those people went back to their old hometowns they will certainly find that food has increased since they left; not sure if its still lower, higher, or in line with Charlotte. But the point is that food costs have been rising everywhere.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM

515 posts, read 904,778 times
I'm originally from the south shore in MA, and I've been here 2yrs. It's fine, but not quite the paradise you might be anticipating. The weather and cost of housing are better, food is a little higher, utility costs somewhat lower. Traffic is pretty bad, public transportation consists of buses and one light rail line. The light rail is not very accessible. In general the companies are small or small divisions of large companies. Depending upon your line of work you may find it difficult to find challenging work at a well run company. Also, there are fewer companies to choose from, making it difficult to jump around, relative to what you find in the boston area.

To sum it up the weather and cost of housing is better, but you give up all that goes along with the boston metro area, which is about 3 or 4 times larger....

Old 12-26-2008, 10:39 PM

93 posts, read 175,484 times
Quote:
Hey y'all! We are living north of Boston and are contemplating a move to Charlotte (my husband is originally from there) We keep getting so much different feedback on cost of living/housing etc. that I don't know what to make of it all! Is anyone originally from north of Boston/Southern NH that can give me some honest feedback? Would truly appreciate it! Thanks!
"Y'all"?
Good God, Your not really going to speak that way just because you move to the south are you?
This isn't 1856 or South Carolina
Try to keep a shred of dignity and speak the Queens proper English when you land here..
You realize Charlotte is older than Boston, mate.

Last edited by DrGonzo33; 12-26-2008 at 11:02 PM..

Old 12-27-2008, 04:57 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,093,754 times
Quote:
Hey y'all! We are living north of Boston and are contemplating a move to Charlotte (my husband is originally from there) We keep getting so much different feedback on cost of living/housing etc. that I don't know what to make of it all! Is anyone originally from north of Boston/Southern NH that can give me some honest feedback? Would truly appreciate it! Thanks!
Have you tried this?Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed
Obviously this is Boston versus Charlotte and things will change if you chose to live out of Mecklenburg county in Iredell county up near Lake Norman or over the border into SC as taxes are considerably less.

Last edited by Yac; 12-30-2008 at 03:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte