Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 14,541 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a Northern Virginia/Washington DC MEtro area native and I'm thinking of relocating to the Charlotte area. I am thinking of accepting a new career offer but want to get some tips/advice/information from folks who already live in Charlotte. I am not particularly happy with the fast paced environment northern virginia has developed, along with the anxiety that comes with it. The cost of living here makes it hard for a single, young working professional to live without a roommate, let alone OWNING their own home. I am hoping that the Charlotte area would be a great place for me to consider. I came to Charlotte in February for about 5 days and LOVED it. I didnt get to see that much, but I've been doing research on the cost of living, expenses and such, and comparing it with the DC/VA area. I am 25 years old, single and looking to start a life of my own in a decent area not too far away from my family back in the Northern Virginia area. Does anyone have any advice?? THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 PM

46 posts, read 136,711 times
Well, you are not alone. Seems there are a number of young Greater DC pros moving to Charlotte - myself included - for many of the same reasons. :-)

I posted a message yesterday getting 2 cents from those who moved from our area down. Check it out! Best of luck.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:17 AM

78 posts, read 233,812 times
You won't regret it. We moved down here 10 years ago from Fredericksburg, VA. Both my husband and I grew up in Dale City. We left many friends and family there. But we felt the move was the best for us and our two boys, and it has been. We love it. We are in the northern part of Charlotte, near UNCC. The drive back to Virginia isn't bad, just have to time it right with traffic/rush hour. The worst thing about moving here was allergies, my husbands are horrible since moving here. House prices are very good. We commuted 45 miles one-way, now my husband is 10 minutes from work (use to be 5 minutes) the growth is unbelievable. Good Luck

Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 19,646 times
Hello,

I am thinking of relocating to Charlotte. What are the good/bad areas?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times
I have a good friend that moved from DC. She is happy she did. She is able to afford her own townhome, similar weather, and likes the suburban aspects. DC and Charlotte are very different. if you like the politics, hustle, public transportation, closer to the beach, then Charlotte will be tough. If you like strip malls, hiking, lakes, a growing but casual uptown and a lot of young singles moving here, you will like it.

If you let us know your interests and cost allowance we can even throw some recommendations out there.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 19,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
I have a good friend that moved from DC. She is happy she did. She is able to afford her own townhome, similar weather, and likes the suburban aspects. DC and Charlotte are very different. if you like the politics, hustle, public transportation, closer to the beach, then Charlotte will be tough. If you like strip malls, hiking, lakes, a growing but casual uptown and a lot of young singles moving here, you will like it.

If you let us know your interests and cost allowance we can even throw some recommendations out there.

I had thought about relocating to DC, but it is just as expensive as NY. Everything is affordable and attainable in the Carolinas.

I want to vist for a week to familiarize myself with the different areas.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 AM

195 posts, read 538,629 times
We would love to tell you places to check out. Things that are helpful are, where will you work? What are your interests? How much can you afford? Then we can get started.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 14,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankimnc View Post
You won't regret it. We moved down here 10 years ago from Fredericksburg, VA. Both my husband and I grew up in Dale City. We left many friends and family there. But we felt the move was the best for us and our two boys, and it has been. We love it. We are in the northern part of Charlotte, near UNCC. The drive back to Virginia isn't bad, just have to time it right with traffic/rush hour. The worst thing about moving here was allergies, my husbands are horrible since moving here. House prices are very good. We commuted 45 miles one-way, now my husband is 10 minutes from work (use to be 5 minutes) the growth is unbelievable. Good Luck
Yeah I grew up in Woodbridge. I lived in Alexandria for 2 years and moved back to Woodbridge because it got too expensive living on my own living in Alexandria. From what i've been hearing, most people who have moved to the Charlotte area are pretty happy about their choice to relocate. Hopefully that will be me soon! Thanks a lot of the reply.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
I moved here from DC a little over a year ago and like it a lot. It is definitely nice to own a home even if it means fighting with yard work every weekend.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 AM

714 posts, read 2,306,795 times
I say go for it, but then, I made the same move from Reston, Va. down to here in October of 2004. There are a few things I miss about DC, such as the amazing restaurants and the museums. But I don't miss I-66, the steep housing prices, the increase in crime, the long commutes, the frenetic pace and the politicians.

There are always tradeoffs, but 3.5 years later, I'm glad we made the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: