Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,265 times

Advertisements

I lived in Charlotte growing up and then moved up to Ohio with my parents. After graduating from highschool I started attending college. I am now wanting to move away and come back home to Charlotte but my biggest concern is that I haven't finished college, I have student loans, and if I take some time off from school, I'll have to start paying those bills starting this fall. Also, out of state tuition still applies until I've lived in NC for a year, which would bring me to possibly missing out on next fall semester as well. It'd just be way too expensive to do. A big concern is whether or not I'll be able to get a good enough job without a degree and be able to pay for an apartment, my small bills, and my student loans. It's a great chance for me to finally get out because I have a friend wanting to move down to Charlotte and I never wanted to have to move down there alone. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of going or waiting but I'm just so lost about what to do Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 PM

382 posts, read 1,884,984 times
Stay in school and finish. You've got plenty of time. You're going to be in a much better situation if you just wait. If you leave school and start working, it might be harder than you think to get back to finishing your degree.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:21 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,773,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBellaNotte View Post
I lived in Charlotte growing up and then moved up to Ohio with my parents. After graduating from highschool I started attending college. I am now wanting to move away and come back home to Charlotte but my biggest concern is that I haven't finished college, I have student loans, and if I take some time off from school, I'll have to start paying those bills starting this fall. Also, out of state tuition still applies until I've lived in NC for a year, which would bring me to possibly missing out on next fall semester as well. It'd just be way too expensive to do. A big concern is whether or not I'll be able to get a good enough job without a degree and be able to pay for an apartment, my small bills, and my student loans. It's a great chance for me to finally get out because I have a friend wanting to move down to Charlotte and I never wanted to have to move down there alone. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of going or waiting but I'm just so lost about what to do Any advice?
Bella, at the risk of sounding like a mother, I suggest maybe you consider staying where you are until you finish school which will be quicker then you think. Just remeber how fast high school went. My son is in the same boat. He will be starting college this fall and moving down to the Charlotte area with us next month. It is very hard to leave his friends and everything he has known behind. He has to move with us because we are not able to afford the out of state tuition in our home state of NJ. He will be attending Central Piedmont Community College here in Charlotte for a year before transferring to App State. He knows this is the best move for him right now since he will have us close by and his student loans will be much less which he will appreciate very much when he has to start paying them off. He plans on visiting NJ a lot which is fine with me, he may even move back there once he is done with college, but for now this is the best choice for him. Really think about your future not just the next 2-4 years. Charlotte will be here when you are done with school and so will a better paying job because you will have your degree in hand. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,307,421 times
You should come back - once you have your degree in hand!! Then, it will be a wonderful adventure . . . coming back "home" to start your career and a new life.

Hang in there and keep researching jobs here . . . and before you know it, you will graduate . . . work on lining up a job . . . and then you can move here and really have things under control in your life.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. It really is not that long . . . not in the big scheme of things.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,045,987 times
i agree w/ the others. hopefully ur friend will still be there when u are done with college and you'll have someone who is all settled and know ppl as well.

also it'll be hard to transfer all ur credits to another school, u'll end up taking more classes to get ur degree which will take longer and cost more money!

just get thru college, do whatever it takes to finish it off then u can come to charlotte w/ a degree and a job!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,470,212 times
IF you want to simply transfer, I would suggest you have UNCC evaluate your transcipt and see if everything would transfer or not first. You don't want to be stuck taking an entire year over again.

If it is a clean transfer, then maybe, but it sounds like you have things made where you are and Charlotte will still be here when you are ready to come down.

Dawn

Old 05-29-2008, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 14,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBellaNotte View Post
Hey there! My advice seems to be the same. I am also suggesting that you finish college first. You are young and have all the time in the world. It would be best to try and finish college sooner rather than later anyways. Be patient, and in the meantime work towards a goal that after you gradulate college there will be a career (of your choice) waiting for you and not the other way around.

Besides you can always go to Charlotte during your summer vacations!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: