U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-10-2008, 03:38 PM

21,461 posts, read 35,077,197 times
Quote:
Before the bottom fell out of the economy in September, there were discussions inside CATS and among elected officials about whether to ask voters for more money. The idea was to build the entire system as quickly as possible, because rapid inflation in construction prices was threatening to make some projects too costly and unbuildable.
Quote:
The train, you can argue, has worked out well,” said former county commissioner Jim Puckett, who led an effort to repeal the tax. “But the financing was never a good idea. As a county commissioner, I used to ask Ron Tober: ‘Is the sales tax sufficient?' And he always said it would be.”
Quote:
In the long term, there is good and bad,” Parker said. “If the sales tax stays in its current state for a prolonged period, it will cost us tens of millions of dollars for the next 10 years
Quote:
If federal funding falls through for the Lynx extension, the chances of building the entire 11-mile segment are nil. CATS could build a small part of the line, to NoDa or Sugar Creek.
I cannot see after the bailout Lynx receiving any more funding.

same article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-10-2008, 03:57 PM

4,227 posts, read 3,507,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
That's how Atlanta started its train MARTA. Now look at it. Charlotte is going to be the same way. I remember it being a lot of opposition in northern atlanta. Now with all the traffic, they want a train station. I'm use to taking public transportation. I hope by the time I move to NC more lines will be completed! Charlotte is the next ATL
Although Atlanta is great, we in the Charlotte area do not want to be the next Atlanta for many reasons. I am really pulling for rail service out here in Cornelius. They are talking about eventually having both light and heavy rail. We could conceivably have one or both in five years. I have used MARTA during off rush hour times and it was pretty dead.I would imagine that service going north gets quite heavy? Where exactly are you talking about when you said that they want a train station? I'm only familiar with MARTA running north towards Duluth, etc.

Unread 12-10-2008, 05:17 PM

797 posts, read 1,301,372 times
Do they even check to see if you bought a ticket? Rode it only once, packed train on a weekend and nobody around to check tickets. Seems like a potential loss of revenue if this is a common practice.

Unread 12-10-2008, 05:30 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,534,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Do they even check to see if you bought a ticket? Rode it only once, packed train on a weekend and nobody around to check tickets. Seems like a potential loss of revenue if this is a common practice.
There are supposed to be random checks. The threat of receiving a ticket is supposed to deter non-paying riders. I believe the ticket is $50.

Unread 12-10-2008, 05:31 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,583,942 times
Quote:
http://cmsmondo.co.mecklenburg.nc.us...D+CHECKER+#top

While inspectors or the police may not check every train every time the thought of a $50 fine would deter many people.

Unread 12-10-2008, 05:45 PM

414 posts, read 801,998 times
Quote:
I ride it frequently for recreational use only and have been checked probably about 25% of the time.

Unread 12-11-2008, 08:42 AM

4,227 posts, read 3,507,219 times
Stops are pretty close and frequent. If the inspector begins at the front of the car, anyone towards the rear has an opportunity to slip out without being checked unless the train is halted between stations. Is this what is done?

Unread 12-11-2008, 12:28 PM

1,304 posts, read 763,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Although Atlanta is great, we in the Charlotte area do not want to be the next Atlanta for many reasons. I am really pulling for rail service out here in Cornelius. They are talking about eventually having both light and heavy rail. We could conceivably have one or both in five years. I have used MARTA during off rush hour times and it was pretty dead.I would imagine that service going north gets quite heavy? Where exactly are you talking about when you said that they want a train station? I'm only familiar with MARTA running north towards Duluth, etc.
\

well marta doesnt go to duluth and all train lines are packed during rush hour there almost 300,000 that ride marta a day east and west lines are always packed so south people going to college park and the airport i ride marta everyday so see these things but sometimes it does have its dead days so maybe you caught it on a dead day and marta started out as a heavy rail system vs light rail

Unread 12-11-2008, 01:30 PM

11,747 posts, read 16,658,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I cannot see after the bailout Lynx receiving any more funding.
Actually Sunny if Obama follows through on his promise to rebuild the country's infrastructure I don't see why funding would be denied.

Unread 12-11-2008, 05:18 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,534,633 times
I heard through the grapevine today that, given the high likelihood of a federal infrastructure stimulus, our state and region will probably get a good shot in the arm for mass transit funding and keep things on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte