Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:04 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times

Advertisements

I know those were words that the opponents were hoping they would be saying, but I knew it would be from the residents and supporters of light rail. Fact is, every major city to add light rail in the past year has far exceeded projected ridership. The only minor exception is a slight downturn in economy when not as many people go to work, but so far Charlotte is ok there. CATS has ordered four new cars to keep up with demand and may add more parking spaces.

Charlotte News - Local News Charlotte | Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/644352.html - broken link)

“I have to admit, they are doing better than I expected,” said former Mecklenburg County commissioner Jim Puckett, who helped lead a failed effort to repeal the half-cent sales tax for mass transit last fall. “Our concern was whether we would have a white elephant, and it doesn't seem we do.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 03:28 PM

Forgot to add that starting in June weekend service will be increased to 15 min intervals during the day rather than 20.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:08 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
What is the latest on extending towards Cornelius, Davidson, and the north?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
What is the latest on extending towards Cornelius, Davidson, and the north?
Last I heard the plan at least for diesel powered commuter trains to the north are moving along. I don't know if this may be adjusted though because diesel fuel is so high right now.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:32 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Last I heard the plan at least for diesel powered commuter trains to the north are moving along. I don't know if this may be adjusted though because diesel fuel is so high right now.
I really hope that any plans for rail will be accelerated.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 PM

168 posts, read 505,961 times
Is it 100% that the northern track will be the next route?

Old 05-29-2008, 05:05 PM

233 posts, read 906,682 times
Default Former Doubter

I have to admit that I am now a believer. The ability to save on gas and parking fees is priceless.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:27 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZEP View Post
Is it 100% that the northern track will be the next route?
I believe there is a push now to make the University City line the next route. Unfortunatley, even with all the success of the South line, and rising gas prices, there is still some opposition to the North line from the Huntersville city council. So given their "pause" in supporting the line fully, I believe CATS is now looking to move forward with the Northeast line, and even the East/West streetcar line before the North line. Hopefully Huntersville will get its act together, because my understanding is that its quite easy to get that line going because there are already tracks laid.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:33 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I know those were words that the opponents were hoping they would be saying, but I knew it would be from the residents and supporters of light rail. Fact is, every major city to add light rail in the past year has far exceeded projected ridership. The only minor exception is a slight downturn in economy when not as many people go to work, but so far Charlotte is ok there. CATS has ordered four new cars to keep up with demand and may add more parking spaces.

Charlotte News - Local News Charlotte | Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/644352.html - broken link)

“I have to admit, they are doing better than I expected,” said former Mecklenburg County commissioner Jim Puckett, who helped lead a failed effort to repeal the half-cent sales tax for mass transit last fall. “Our concern was whether we would have a white elephant, and it doesn't seem we do.”
I think it is awesome!!! We parked at the 485 site bought our tickets and headed downtown with our grandchildren on Sunday afternoon. We got off at Reid's, the last stop, shopped around the store, walked around town and just enjoyed being downtown without the hassle of parking, etc. We got back on the train and headed back when we were tired. A wonderful experience. (and we saved on gas)

I recommend to all that get a chance to take the train downtown with your family, have lunch, walk around, what ever. I guarantee you will enjoy.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:44 PM

6 posts, read 19,645 times
That's how Atlanta started its train MARTA. Now look at it. Charlotte is going to be the same way. I remember it being a lot of opposition in northern atlanta. Now with all the traffic, they want a train station. I'm use to taking public transportation. I hope by the time I move to NC more lines will be completed! Charlotte is the next ATL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte