U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:52 PM

473 posts, read 1,451,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
When did you visit the invetory homes?
Usually they put a discount if they have a certain amount of numbers of inventory homes that are not moving. An ex co-wrokoer bought a house in Hawthorne (that all brick subdivision) is almost sold out. IT started in the summer of 2005.
In Monteith Park inventory moves rather quickly since its one of the few communities close to Charlotte. A realtor told me another reason for McAdenville's slow sales is that you have to go to Gastonia for grocery shopping etc.
Rosedale has inventories available, if you are interested. Also, the development is right close to the interestate, not in the middle of two exits, 23 and 25, from where I remember MP being. Can't beat #1 & #2 for CS in the area for builders Centex and Fox Jacobs, either.

Nikki

Old 02-10-2007, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,376 times
Saussy's construction quality is very good. I've watched them build quite a few and they use high end OSB, an engineered foundation, 2x6 studs, fiber-cement siding, etc. I know someone in commercial construction who owns a Saussy and he is very impressed. Anyone who's familiar with construction knows that it is common to have nails and sheathing staples to miss their mark - and especially with sheathing, it's mainly about getting most of them rather than all of them since sheathing is not load bearing. Also keep in mind that the hardiplank is later nailed over the sheating onto the framing, thus securing it further. Moreover, ask anyone involved in construction in Gaston County and the surrounding counties and they'll tell you that Gaston County inspectors are tough.

I don't know why the inventory homes haven't sold quicker - but note that non-inventory sales are good. One reason the inventory homes haven't sold is that Saussy does not do contingencies on spec homes. These homes will sell though as the neighborhood continues to come together.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:36 AM

286 posts, read 862,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryscott View Post
Saussy's construction quality is very good. I've watched them build quite a few and they use high end OSB, an engineered foundation, 2x6 studs, fiber-cement siding, etc. I know someone in commercial construction who owns a Saussy and he is very impressed. Anyone who's familiar with construction knows that it is common to have nails and sheathing staples to miss their mark - and especially with sheathing, it's mainly about getting most of them rather than all of them since sheathing is not load bearing. Also keep in mind that the hardiplank is later nailed over the sheating onto the framing, thus securing it further. Moreover, ask anyone involved in construction in Gaston County and the surrounding counties and they'll tell you that Gaston County inspectors are tough.

I don't know why the inventory homes haven't sold quicker - but note that non-inventory sales are good. One reason the inventory homes haven't sold is that Saussy does not do contingencies on spec homes. These homes will sell though as the neighborhood continues to come together.
Thank you for your in-put on this matter, it is always good to hear a different opinion, and get some more facts. as i said in the past, if i could afford some of the inventory homes, they would be sold- love them.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:13 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,338 times
Saussy Burbank is one of the most popular builders in our area, known for their quality and craftsmanship. I was at McAdenville recently with a client and was told that eventually they plan restaurants and shops in the area around the lake. The plans look really nice. There is also a Saussy Burbank community near there at Belmont. They are more expensive full brick homes, VERY nice.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 10,140 times
Default McAdenville Christmas Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknaxx View Post
We were very interested in Saussy as a builder. Arvida was taken over by St. Joe, and so was Saussy. We had an Arvida home in FL. They are very reputable, according to our realtor but the location wasn't going to work for us.

As far as McAdenville, you really should try to drive through it around x-mas time. It is known as "x-mas village" and those Saussy homes are a showcase with lights and such. The whole town is a showcase! Buses go through and cars and there's nothing but traffic and x-mas lights. That would agitate me to no end!
My family moved to McAdenville shortly before Christmas and got to experience this firsthand - it really wasn't an inconvenience to us at all because they give residents special passes. We hung out pass from our rearview mirror and the police waived us through to cross Carstarphen Brige (crossing over the Southfork) which is not one of the entry points for the Christmas light traffic. It would've been a huge inconvenience if we had to sit in traffic like everyone else - but fortunately, we didn't. Because the plan apparently worked, they will most likely repeat it going forward.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearsmom View Post
We drove through McAdenville this weekend and loved it for the style home and the lots, but the school ratings were not good at all. Also, to me it appeared to be surrounded by areas that were not so desirable, and so we questioned resale...we're now looking at other Saussy Burbank communities though!

Gotta sell our house in Georgia first though

Anita
McAdenville Elementary hasn't won any awards and by many accounts is an average performing school. However, it is also a very, very small school - for instance, there is only one (1) kindergarten class. McAdenville, which was once a thriving community for many generations, was beginning to whither - however, with the new Saussy development bringin 189 homes priced from the 200s to the 400s, the community is up and coming again. I think will inevitably have a positive impact on the Elementary (K-5) school here in the neighborhood (if they don't close the school first due to lack of enrollment!). Beyond McAdenville Elementary, the next step is Cramerton Middle and then Soutpoint High School - both schools are very good so if you're hearing otherwise, someone is feeding you bad information.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Surrounding areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearsmom View Post
We drove through McAdenville this weekend ...to me it appeared to be surrounded by areas that were not so desirable, and so we questioned resale...we're now looking at other Saussy Burbank communities though!

Gotta sell our house in Georgia first though

Anita
McAdenville has a river on its east side, an Interstate on its north side, a highway on its south side and a deep ravine on its west side - in other words, when you're living here, you feel isolated even though everything is a short drive away. The areas just outside McAdenville are old and on the lower end of the income spectrum, sure - but to be clear, crime is very low. I just want to make sure no one reads "surrounded by areas that were not so desirable" to mean government projects, crime infested neighborhoods, etc. It just older neighborhoods with older people in many cases but for the most part they keep their houses and yards up.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:53 PM

Hi Nursejulie,
did your parents buy in the saussy neighborhood?
Are you a nurse,if so where do you work?

Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 AM

18 posts, read 70,853 times
Default Buyer Beware: Do your homework

I read your post on Saussy Burbank and I had to post (my first one). Here's our experience:

My husband and I put a down payment on a SB Cottage collection home in Deer Park, Davidson in April 2002. It was a cute house. However, from the get go, we were nickel and dimed on everything. Just adding extra outlets and fan boxes were extra $100 here and there. I was feeling bad vibes.

My husband is very knowledgeable about construction, asking technical questions, and the salesman actually told him "you know more about building than our average buyer." I don't think they appreciated our questions, but this is a MAJOR purchase.

In May 2002 we had a very rainy few weeks. The ground was saturated as our house was in the process of being built. I had a premonition on one Sunday that we HAD to go and look at the house. Fortunately my husband agreed to check up on it.

What we saw was the foundation (concrete slab) had been poured on wet ground and the first floor framing was up. We noticed a HUGE FOUNDATION CRACK that ran horizontal down to the footers on both sides. Apparently they were in such a hurry to slap that house up, they didn't wait for the ground to dry. Down the road, this would be major problems as the clay soil would shift.

We called this crack to the attention of the sales agent and construction super who said it was just minor and that they would fill it. My husband said: "are you kidding? Will you have a structural engineer certify that the foundation won't crack?" "IF not, we want it repoured."

SB said "We can't do that."

There is no way in h*** we were going to buy that house with a major structural deficit!! Long story short, we said we want our money back, if you don't return it, you'll hear from our lawyer and the Consumer reporter on TV. We quietly received our deposit back within a week. I'm sure they patched it up and sold it to someone else. Who knows if that house will crack? It will probably be after the warranty so its not the builder's problem.

My point is DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Many of these tract builders (SB IS a tract builder) are in such a damn hurry to slap up houses and get their money out of YOUR pocket, they will cut corners. Most subs are unskilled labor (read: illegals) and its a crapshoot whether your home is sound or not.

WHY WOULD YOU SPEND THE BIGGEST PURCHASE OF YOUR LIFE based on brochures and salespeople who will lie to your face? Check them out on the Internet, ask buyers who've lived there a while. Anyone can build a house that will stand for 1 year. Thanks for reading and I hope this helps new homebuyers.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:47 AM

Maggie- you are scaring me now i had my mind made up-now you have thrown me things to think about-
Thank you for your input- i do appreciate it, and i am sorry for what you had to go through.
Tim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte