U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:27 AM

18 posts, read 70,768 times

Advertisements

Here's is an eye opening website for new homebuyers; "Homeowners against deficient dwellings". You'll find complaints against builders, things to look for in a new home "Home building pitfalls". Stay away from Beazer and KB, in particular, they are the bottom of the barrel (www.kbhomestink.org)

Again, do your homework before you sign on the dotted line. Don't let your dream of a new home turn into an emotional and financial nightmare!

Old 02-24-2007, 03:23 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,682,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Maggie View Post
Here's is an eye opening website for new homebuyers; "Homeowners against deficient dwellings". You'll find complaints against builders, things to look for in a new home "Home building pitfalls". Stay away from Beazer and KB, in particular, they are the bottom of the barrel (www.kbhomestink.org)

Again, do your homework before you sign on the dotted line. Don't let your dream of a new home turn into an emotional and financial nightmare!
Those sound like helpful websites but just a word of caution...remember that these opinions are subjective. Some builders are indeed better and offer more quality but just because one person had a bad experience doesn't mean the builder is bad. I actually live in a Beazer home and for the money we paid, I'm happy with it. The key to buying a home and to having one built is having an advocate on your side, a buyer's agent.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 PM

549 posts, read 2,185,008 times
Businessperson your so right about that! At the same token I agree that no matter how wonderfull a builderīs repution is you should always be on top of them. THe subcontractors usually dont care so if you hire a person that knows construction (forget the name) then you can avoid any mistakes. Maggies post is one of the major reason why I would NEVER buy a inventory home. You dont know what happened while they were building. So no matter how enticing the sales agent makes it s not a good idea to buy an inventory home that is finished.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 PM

473 posts, read 1,450,719 times
Red face Inventory home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
Businessperson your so right about that! At the same token I agree that no matter how wonderfull a builderīs repution is you should always be on top of them. THe subcontractors usually dont care so if you hire a person that knows construction (forget the name) then you can avoid any mistakes. Maggies post is one of the major reason why I would NEVER buy a inventory home. You dont know what happened while they were building. So no matter how enticing the sales agent makes it s not a good idea to buy an inventory home that is finished.
I've bought 2 inventories so far and haven't had a problem with them. I believe having good realtors steering us toward reputable builders were a huge help. The 5 year old resale was worse off than either of the inventories bought! So what's the difference in buying an inventory or a 5 year old home? You don't know how the 5 year old home was built, either...

Old 03-07-2007, 11:22 PM

48 posts, read 137,186 times
Just moved into a Saussy home. The inspector didn't find anything major and the sellers had no pets and kept it in good condition so it's really not showing the few years since it was built at all. Plus the neighborhood is cute as a button and they're having a block party in two weeks out in the park

Old 03-08-2007, 03:40 AM

286 posts, read 861,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duquesne View Post
Just moved into a Saussy home. The inspector didn't find anything major and the sellers had no pets and kept it in good condition so it's really not showing the few years since it was built at all. Plus the neighborhood is cute as a button and they're having a block party in two weeks out in the park
HI Duquesne, which neighborhood did you buy in?

Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,697 times
Hello~ We are also looking into a Saussy home. Do you have more information about the quality of their homes? You mentioned something about moisture in the crawl space. What exactly did you see and what should we look for when touring the homes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbsj View Post
I have toured several saussy homes under contruction. We thought we were going to buy one. I was very dissapointed with the construction quality. I don't know how some homes passed the quality inspection that Saussy says they put into their homes. For example: nails that missed joists, rafters. How is the roof sheeting if 50% of the nails on a sheet of decking is off center?

They have very interesting layouts which we like but seem to cover up defects. Other examples is moisture in crawl space.

In Baxter Vllage one of their carpenters pointed out defects to us.

If the quality coule be improved they would be a great home to buy.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 PM

28 posts, read 73,396 times
Kokiebear, Saussy Burbank has always had a very good reputation for building quality homes. It was founded locally as a private company by a group of reputable builders. A few years ago (during the real estate boom), Saussy was bought by a huge, public traded real estate development corporation called St. Joe based in Florida. During this period, I think Saussy may have started cutting a few corners here and there - but even then, they were still well above average. Thankfully, the original founders bought Suassy back about a year and half ago and now it's back in private, local hands. There is no doubt that the homes they've been building during the last year or so are of very high quality. The poster you're responding to is most likely referring to the St. Joe - Saussy home. Even then, you're always going to hear stories like this that are the rare exception even from the most high end of custom builders. Trust me, as an owner of a Saussy home, they are very well built. And when the inevitable kinks have to be worked out as is the case in almost any new home, their Warranty Dept is stellar and will make the problem go away. All in all, Saussy homes are a good value and perform better than most neighborhoods when it comes to resale.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:31 AM

19,805 posts, read 55,631,864 times
This thread is over 3 yrs old and newer info is available.Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte