Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:46 PM

31 posts, read 104,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStro View Post
This isnt intended to have a negitive impact on New Town Elementry as a whole.

Overall this school has been great. Her teacher and my younger daughters teacher are excellent teachers. This is one incident that shouldn't have happened and needs to be addressed. I again tried to meet with the principle this afternoon to which is was still to busy. My wife is going to stop by on her way home from work and try again. This issue needs to be addressed and resolved so it doesnt happen again.

Right now I am not real happy with the school because this is a major oversite and principle Kafitz doesnt have time to speak with me about it. They played this song 3 times during the dance. I dont see how they could have played this song once in front of these kids, to play it 3 times is more then just poor judgement. Another parent I spoke with about 2 hours ago stated her daughter came home and complained about them playing that song as well.
Hey, don't you think that Dr. Kafitz might be a little busy today, as it's the last week of school? He's been available throughout the year at almost any time, including at every book fair type of event that we attended. He's also willing to talk when he's doing things like unloading heavy cases of bottled water for the school, out of his hatchback. He's an energetic young educator that was in a very challenging position this year. Besides dealing with the bumps that happen with a brand new facility and new faculty team, he helped blend together children from Wesley Chapel with kids from all over the country, as many of the feeder neighborhoods are brand new and full of northeners.

Also, isn't he a little busy today, since it's the fifth grade's graduation ceremony? It's interesting that you have a fifth grader but failed to point out this fact to make him look bad. Why is that? He's working hard to make sure things run smoothly today and not give you something else to complain about.

Aren't there more important things to worry about then music? Didn't our grandparents eventually conclude that Elvis shaking his hips didn't make children promiscuous and that it's based upon individual morals, desires and other issues, but not music? I hope you are leading a campaign against Nick and all cable stations, as they promote nudity and anti-educational thoughts, by showing the Naked Brothers Band singing about not wanting to go to school! I can't wait until your daughters friends are all taking pictures of each other with their cell phones and posting them on their myspace profiles, because if you're mad now, then you'll be absolutely nuts at that thought! Lastly, when your daughter gets an IPod or cell phone with music, tell us her top 100 songs and I bet we can find some with offensive lyrics, whether it's obvious or implied. As a parent of a grown daughter and young son, I've learned that I can't protect my kids from everything, only educate them to make smart choices on their own. You'd better lock your daughter up and let her out when she's 18, the world might be too scary, with too many bad influences. Why, just going to the mall or Teeter or Carowinds, she might see an older girl or even a mom, with their thongs showing at the top of their pants and want to dress like that herself one day! If you think dealing with music lyrics is a big deal, then wait until your daughter wants to dress more grown up!

It's a shame that one of the few messages on this board about New Town is a negative one. We don't yet know the school's test scores and whether they will match up to Weddington or another top school, but I suspect they will. I do know that the parents I've talked with are thrilled with New Town and are thus thrilled with moving to Charlotte, despite infrastructure problems. Most of us moved here to give our children a better life and New Town has been a huge part of why we love it here. If you went to the Spring Craft Fair or follow the progress our new, but ambitious PTA, then you know New Town has strong parental involvement and is destined to become another top school in Union County. I apologize if I come across as harsh, but this seems ridiculous. I understand that there will always be people that offend easily, but a handful of complaints doesn't outweigh the hundreds of other children that had a blast at the dance. Lastly, introducing the children to the school dance concept doesn't mean they were dirty dancing with each other and it will make the middle school dances a little less intimidating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 03:27 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
Hey, don't you think that Dr. Kafitz might be a little busy today, as it's the last week of school? He's been available throughout the year at almost any time, including at every book fair type of event that we attended. He's also willing to talk when he's doing things like unloading heavy cases of bottled water for the school, out of his hatchback. He's an energetic young educator that was in a very challenging position this year. Besides dealing with the bumps that happen with a brand new facility and new faculty team, he helped blend together children from Wesley Chapel with kids from all over the country, as many of the feeder neighborhoods are brand new and full of northeners.

Also, isn't he a little busy today, since it's the fifth grade's graduation ceremony? It's interesting that you have a fifth grader but failed to point out this fact to make him look bad. Why is that? He's working hard to make sure things run smoothly today and not give you something else to complain about.

Aren't there more important things to worry about then music? Didn't our grandparents eventually conclude that Elvis shaking his hips didn't make children promiscuous and that it's based upon individual morals, desires and other issues, but not music? I hope you are leading a campaign against Nick and all cable stations, as they promote nudity and anti-educational thoughts, by showing the Naked Brothers Band singing about not wanting to go to school! I can't wait until your daughters friends are all taking pictures of each other with their cell phones and posting them on their myspace profiles, because if you're mad now, then you'll be absolutely nuts at that thought! Lastly, when your daughter gets an IPod or cell phone with music, tell us her top 100 songs and I bet we can find some with offensive lyrics, whether it's obvious or implied. As a parent of a grown daughter and young son, I've learned that I can't protect my kids from everything, only educate them to make smart choices on their own. You'd better lock your daughter up and let her out when she's 18, the world might be too scary, with too many bad influences. Why, just going to the mall or Teeter or Carowinds, she might see an older girl or even a mom, with their thongs showing at the top of their pants and want to dress like that herself one day! If you think dealing with music lyrics is a big deal, then wait until your daughter wants to dress more grown up!

It's a shame that one of the few messages on this board about New Town is a negative one. We don't yet know the school's test scores and whether they will match up to Weddington or another top school, but I suspect they will. I do know that the parents I've talked with are thrilled with New Town and are thus thrilled with moving to Charlotte, despite infrastructure problems. Most of us moved here to give our children a better life and New Town has been a huge part of why we love it here. If you went to the Spring Craft Fair or follow the progress our new, but ambitious PTA, then you know New Town has strong parental involvement and is destined to become another top school in Union County. I apologize if I come across as harsh, but this seems ridiculous. I understand that there will always be people that offend easily, but a handful of complaints doesn't outweigh the hundreds of other children that had a blast at the dance. Lastly, introducing the children to the school dance concept doesn't mean they were dirty dancing with each other and it will make the middle school dances a little less intimidating.

I did not take the original post as a negative one on the whole school at all. He was upset that this happened and was asking for ideas on what to do about it. He never once disparged the school - he was just upset he couldn't get the principal to meet with him, which is why I suggested making an appointment.

Believe me, I do not offend or shock easily. I am no shrinking violet. I just happen to believe there is a time and place for everything. Kids today are already growing up too fast - advocating grownup activities like a school dance at the 10 year-old level just contributes to that. As a parent, I would not have allowed by child to attend.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 PM

10 posts, read 10,695 times
The Principle called me. He heard I had made some post on City-Data and said he didnt get my message from monday, but got the message this morn.
It was a good conversation. He had heard about the song being played and assured me it would not happen again. The principle did not know of the song and DJ who had played the song did not understand what the lyrics meant and stated he would not have palyed it if he knew what it meant. They did play the other version that is more cryptic. The principle sounded very sincere and I am satisfied with the way he handled it. I just wish he would have responded a little sooner.

I wasnt looking to hang anyone, but I did want to make as many as possible aware of what was happening and I wanted to insure it was addressed.

I will be monitoring school activities quite a bit closer now. To insure I dont get caught off gaurd again.

Overall New Town Elementry is a great school and does provide quality education for their students.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:00 PM

240 posts, read 731,981 times
Cool petrified!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
We plan on putting our 3 daughters in public school, for the first time this fall. They've always gone to small Christian schools, but the expense had become too much. After seeing this, I am petrified!! While I know I cant shield them from everything, I can certainly mitigate what I see. The thought that something like this would be allowed to be played in middle school is very disenfranchising for me! Makes me really want to rethink our public school decision.

Do not be petrified.
I had my daughter in a very small Christian school from K - 6.
I then decided to put her in the real world with more kids - her school was just so very small and she needed to be around more kids.
I was petrified at the Open House for 7th grade. There seemed like hundreds of these teens everywhere. I told my daughter there and then that if anything happened and she did not want to return, i would take her out of CMS.
My daughter is now nearing the end of 8th grade and she has thoroughly enjoyed her experience at school and is highly excited about High School.

Regarding the Soulja Boy lyrics - there are 2 versions of this and one is the more suggestive but the other has none of the bad stuff. The kids just love the beat and the silly dance they do with it.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:02 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStro View Post
The Principle called me. He heard I had made some post on City-Data and said he didnt get my message from monday, but got the message this morn.
It was a good conversation. He had heard about the song being played and assured me it would not happen again. The principle did not know of the song and DJ who had played the song did not understand what the lyrics meant and stated he would not have palyed it if he knew what it meant. They did play the other version that is more cryptic. The principle sounded very sincere and I am satisfied with the way he handled it. I just wish he would have responded a little sooner.

I wasnt looking to hang anyone, but I did want to make as many as possible aware of what was happening and I wanted to insure it was addressed.

I will be monitoring school activities quite a bit closer now. To insure I dont get caught off gaurd again.

Overall New Town Elementry is a great school and does provide quality education for their students.
Good for him, I'm glad he called you back.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:08 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,135 times
Issue resolved, I hear next year they will replace that song with Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"

Old 06-04-2008, 04:17 PM

10 posts, read 10,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy View Post

Actually the ceremony is tomorrow not today. First of all everything they promote on TV I can control in my home and I do. The internet in my home I can control and I do. I would expect the school system would do the same and control what it displays to our children.

Most of your argument has nothing to do with the school or this topic. Not sure what all those other places have to do with the school.

I agree New Town Elementry is a great educational school and I am sure the scores will be very high. Over all my daughter had a great time at the dance. She just doesnt like the fact that they played a song promoting drugs and sex in a vulgar manor. Apparently you have no idea what that song is about.

I agree he maybe busy as am I. I deal with over 500 carriers, 350 customers, 100 brokers. I handle 100 to 150 phone calls per day. Not one phone call that comes into my office goes unreturned by me that day. I also manage to take my kids to school every morning and pick them up in the evening. I meet with the teachers. I take my daughter to girl scouts and attend every school function that my daughter is involved in.

The issue has been resolved and I have no ill feelings toward the school and never have. I understand he didnt get the first message as he should have.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:13 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,136 times
Perhaps petrified wasn't exactly the word I was looking for. And, perhaps I have the deranged idea that my daughters will be daddy's little girls forever. But, I don't feel like I want my kids exposed to these adult ideas when they are only 9 & 7. I fully plan on being VERY involved with them at school. However, I feel that the school district has an obligation to me too. And, that obligation is to not allow inappropriate, offensive, and dangerous themes to be presented regardless of the forum.

An earlier poster made a parallel to Elvis' hip gyration, and the trash we're discussing here. Preposterous!! I cannot recall a single one of Elvis' songs that spoke of drug use and blatantly sexual behavior. Completely unacceptable even for a teenage dance!

Thank you all for the reassurances. I am sure the kids will turn out fine, with our guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte